displaying art/school work

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom4Him

displaying art/school work

Post by Mom4Him » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:39 pm

What are some ways that you display the art/school work that your children make? In our family, I have 3 or 4 of our children doing the same projects/papers/etc from LHTH (& also have MANY extra pictures they make all on their own). Our refrigerator can only display so much (& it seems anything I put on it- falls off very esaily)...but they are soooo very proud of the work they do & love to show it off. :wink: :D I am just uncertain of how to display it all in a nice looking way. If anyone has ideas and/or pictures to share, I would appreciate it!
Thanks!

jenntracy

Re: displaying art/school work

Post by jenntracy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:23 pm

i am curious too. i sorta have an area in the kitchen and try to take the old ones down at least every two weeks to make room for the new. it is very hard and then i have t decide what to keep and where. Honestly, you can't keep EVERY painting, drawing, or craft they make. it is so hard to decide sometimes, isn't?
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:27 pm

I do have my kids sit on the floor or at a table covered with their projects so I can put the pic of what they have don in their scrapbook. That helps a little with not keeping everything :wink:
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

mamayi

Post by mamayi » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:38 pm

I hang a 10 foot long ribbon along the wall with a push pin on each end (so no nail holes!)
Then the children use clothes pins to hang their "masterpieces"!
Each child has their own ribbon. When they run out of space they have to decide what to take down so the new piece can go up.
I also take pictures of their "art museum" as we call it every once in a while.

I also keep a large mailing envelope at the ready so that things can be mailed to grandparents!

Love to hear what other people do too!

Andrea
Marine Wife for 14 years
Mother to
DS 07/02 Preparing
DD 04/04 Preparing
DD 07/06 LHFHG
DS 09/09 Playing
DD 05/12 Joining the party!

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:01 pm

Ours is similar to Andrea's. I have a long "clothesline" strung up along the wall in the kitchen by the table. We call it the "artwork line". We use clothespins to hang up their creations. When it gets full, I pull everything off and take what I want to save for me (I have a folder for each child in my cedar chest), and then I ask the children if they want to save any of what's left (they have their own "treasure drawers" in their rooms). If they want to throw away anything, that's fine too.

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:24 pm

I also have a string on the wall with clips so that he can hang his artwork, papers, etc for Daddy to see. It works great and he loves to put his work up there. We don't have a ton of wall space but he can usually get about 6-8 papers up before we have to take them down to make room for more.
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:09 pm

We have a tiny house so only one or 2 pages go on the fridge. I punch holes in the paper before we start. it goes on the fridge for a little while thenit goes in her binder... and projects like herbs glued on go in sleeves then in binder. this way when Aunti comes to visit DD2 goes running for her Project book and shares it all. Tho I like the Ideas here I may steal mamayi's.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

GinainMD

Post by GinainMD » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:29 pm

I have tried several of the ideas already posted at various times and have found you can never have too many options when you have a creative child. In addition to what has already been mentioned, I allow each of my children to display artwork etc. on the inside of their bedroom door. Also we put cork up in one dd room and bought those fabric covered boards, the ones with ribbons criss crossing, for each dds room. Always on the look out for some new ideas as I have 1 dd who is especially reluctant to part with any of h er "creations". :wink: I also like to "retire" some work to a binder but there is a 1 binder per child per school year rule. Photos are great for the projects you can't save. We had a paper mache volcano on a cookie sheet in our kitchen for a couple weeks before I finally took photos of it and then tossed it :oops: .
Gina
married to dh 2000
dd 12/01 Bigger
dd 08/03 Bigger
dd 03/07 LHTH
dd 06/08 LHTH

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:04 am

The volcano thin sound like somthing i would do. Leave it up for seeral weeks before being able to take it done even though it probably had to be oved around or is just left in the way. i hate having ot decide when to get rid of stuff :cry:
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:06 am

I forgot about the photo option. I have taken photos of a few projects that would be hard to store. That is so much easier. I also take photos of larger paintings that I really like and then I put the photos in my scrapbook (and then put the originals in the cedar chest).

Mom4Him

Post by Mom4Him » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:15 am

Thanks everyone for your ideas!! :D Now, I have to put them into action! :wink:
I really like the ribbon/string idea with clips- & the photo ideas!! I liked your extra ideas too, Gina- for we also have creative little "artists" at our house- who can easily sit down & make 10 pictures each in a short time-span. We're working on making 1 or 2 really nice picture(s)! :D :wink:
Have a great Sunday praising our Lord!
Jessica

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:33 am

We do the string thing with clothes pins too.... I have a string criss-crossing over a wall so there is more space to hang stuff... Well, right now it's just one line, but when the baby gets bigger it'll go back to criss crossing...

I only keep stuff that's for the child actually being recorded for school... I take pictures of everything else.

If you are asking about long term keeping too, you could always take pictures and put them online at a photo hosting site and make a collage book out of them. It would be smaller than a binder and not as messy.... easier to put on a shelf.

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:06 pm

With Kasey doing paintings with the poetry in CTC, I purchased a scrapbook that has sleeve type inserts. The book is proving to be a lovely coffetable/center piece. The art work stays protected and can be showcased without having to dig through the ole file folders. She's currently working on detailing the Hanging Gardens piece, which when she is done I think I am going to mat and frame.
~Jasmine~
Married to a wonderful hubby since '95
DD Kasey 14 RTR Sept. '11 - June '12
DD Typhoon Tiffy 3yrs old beggining LHTH

Lil Ruth born April 25 2011..and just a pure joy!

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:28 pm

Oh, I love the scrapbook idea! Thanks for sharing so now I can be on the look out for next year :D What kind of paper did you use? And I am also wondering what size scrapbook you chose ?
Last edited by basesloaded on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

ncmomof5

Post by ncmomof5 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:44 pm

Thank you, Jasmine for that idea. I have been trying to figure out what to do with all of their beautiful CTC paintings (I have 2 dc doing it). I don't want to throw any away, and I want to have a place where they can be admired - safely :lol: . Putting them in a scrapbook is such a wonderful idea. Why didn't I think of that? :roll: I don't know, but I'm glad you did. Thanks for sharing. :D

Also, I am planning to do like you mentioned and frame a few of their favorites - maybe even give them as gifts to their grandparents.
2013 - 2014
15 yo dd -- MTMM
13 yo ds -- MTMM
12 yo ds -- finish PHFHG/CTC
9 yo ds -- finish BLHFHG/BHFHG
5.5 yo dd -- LHFHG

"Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Matthew 6:32