TRL vs. Scaredy Cat Reading System

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
psreit

TRL vs. Scaredy Cat Reading System

Post by psreit » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:53 pm

My daughter will be homeschooling in the fall after attending an ACE school for K. I haven't ordered BLHFHG yet, but I believe this will be an excellent program for her. She is beginning to read one vowel words and I am sure by the end of K she will be reading more. Since seeing the sample lessons of TRL, I think that will have a good bit in that she won't need. However, I am not comfortable with going to the 'emerging reader' plan. I have been thinking for some time about going with the Scaredy Cat Reading System. She would be able to start on level 2. Is anyone familiar enough with both of these programs to compare them? I'm leaning toward Scaredy Cat, but was interested in knowing more about TRL since it is used with HOD.

Thanks,
Pam
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

water2wine

Re: TRL vs. Scaredy Cat Reading System

Post by water2wine » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:12 pm

I have used both systems and far prefer The Reading Lesson. I did not find Scardy Cat to be effective with my dd with special needs. It is supposed to be geared that way but I found the helps instead of really helping became one extra thing for her to remember on top of actually getting the phonics. On the other hand I have had remarkable results with THR and the Emerging Readers. :D I have three kids doing the Emerging readers, one with learning delays, one average, and one ahead. All are blossoming with it. And I have to tell you I was with you before I used both TRL and the emerging readers but by far they have been the most effective thing I have tried and I have tried a lot of things because I have one that is reading delayed. It was truly out of desperation I went with the HOD way eventually. I wish I had done it sooner. It did not seem structured enough but bottom line is it just works. :D That is my BTDT experience. Hope you find the best for your children. :D

Oh just wanted to add we also used the cd that goes with TRL and I used that as a reward for doing the lesson. That really was helpful as well. :D By far it was the most painless program I used and the most effective.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

countrymom

Re: TRL vs. Scaredy Cat Reading System

Post by countrymom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:41 am

I don't know how many samples you were able to see, and from what parts of the book they were, but I have found TRL to be very good. I went into it thinking I would skip some too, as our son had already completed a kindergarten curriculum. When I actually got my hands on the book and looked through it and saw how it was designed, I started with the first chapter. We went through the first bit faster, but I don't regret doing it. I am not familiar with the other system, but just wanted to throw out my experience in case it helps you decide. I like TRL because it includes a lot of reading right in the lesson. You don't need to scramble to find supplemental reading books that match what your child has learned. It is also not just a "The cat sat on a hat" book. Once you are into it, there is plenty of mixing of old and new.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC