Using DITHR in a co-op setting...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Patty7093

Using DITHR in a co-op setting...

Post by Patty7093 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Has anyone tried to use this in a co-op setting and could you explain how you orchestrated it?
Thanks,
Patty in WA :)

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Using DITHR in a co-op setting...

Post by Carrie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Patty,

We've actually had quite a few moms tell us at convention that they've used DITHR in a co-op setting, even though DITHR wasn't written with that in mind! :D I'll just move this post over to the Main Board, so more moms will get a chance to see it. All new posts begin on the Main Board. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:13 pm

Not in a co-op, but for tutoring. It worked so well! Having dc be able to choose their own books was a big hit. I wish I had more of the "how-to" do it for a co-op, but I will say it worked very well for tutoring. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:31 am

I was thinking of using this in a co-op setting as well, and would love to hear more from those who have done so!
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:53 am

I am teaching it at my co-op this year to 4th - 6th graders and used the level 4/5 student books :-) My co-op meets for 24 weeks. I scheduled 6 books for the year. The parents at my co-op wanted the kids to read quite a bit because their kids aren't reading nearly as much independently as HOD schedules for the kids. I picked 6 boy titles and 6 girl titles. I have a teaching assistant. She is reading all the girl titles and I am reading the boy titles.

Before the first day of co-op, I had my kids read 5 days worth of reading. Then here is my 12 week schedule (we break our co-op into 12 weeks in the fall and 12 weeks in the spring):

*Before co-op - read 5 days worth of DITHOR
*Week 1 - opening genre activity (20-25 min), discuss genre and any topic activities from day 1-5 (10-15 min), typically skip the activity of studying the book for this genre because the kids have already started reading it, if they completed any worksheets we review them (10 min). Homework - they then read the next 5 days worth of pages and I discuss any upcoming worksheets.
*Week 2 - we discuss workbook homework pages in class (10 min), day 5 of the plans usually has a hands on activity and we complete that in class (20-25 min). I will not assign all of the student pages as homework either - I usually complete day 9, which is the bible story and character trait page, in class on this day as well (15 min). Homework - finish the book and discuss upcoming assigned workbook pages.
*Week 3 - finish up unique discussions for this genre. There is usually one or two days with an inneractive skit type of activity. I would complete that during this week of the plans. I would finish up any workbook pages not assigned for homework. I would pass out the book project activity and discuss. For homework, they must complete this activity.
*Week 4 - present their project to the class (20-25 min). We complete the opening activity for the next genre (20-25 min). We complete the first day activity of looking at the book to see what info we will gain by reading it (5 min). I pass out the reading schedule for the next genre and assign the first 5 days of reading to my students along with whatever workbook pages I assign to be completed.
*Week 5 - discuss homework pages. Discuss topics not previously covered. I love this of my plans because discussion and interaction with the kids about this genre is pretty solid. I typically don't assign all the workbook pages as homework and we will do 2 pages in class this day of the plans. For homework though, I do assign 5 more days worth of reading and then a worksheet page or two.
*Week 6 - complete the day 5 hands on activity. We discuss homework. And we may complete more workbook pages in class. I then assign the final 5 days worth of reading as homework and assigned workbook pages.
*Week 7 - complete the inner-active skit in class. Complete discussions. Complete any workbook pages. Pass our project and discuss. Their homework is to complete the project.
*Week 8 - present their project to the class (20-25 min). We complete the opening activity for the next genre (20-25 min). We complete the first day activity of looking at the book to see what info we will gain by reading it (5 min). I pass out the reading schedule for the next genre and assign the first 5 days of reading to my students along with whatever workbook pages I assign to be completed.
*Week 9 - discuss homework pages. Discuss topics not previously covered. On this day I again do a lot of discussion and interaction with the kids about this genre. And again, I typically don't assign all the workbook pages as homework and we will do 2 pages in class this day of the plans. For homework though, I do assign 5 more days worth of reading and then a worksheet page or two.
*Week 10 - complete the day 5 hands on activity. We discuss homework. And we may complete more workbook pages in class. I then assign the final 5 days worth of reading as homework and possibly a few workbook pages.
*Week 11 - complete the inner-active skit in class. Complete discussions. Complete any workbook pages. Pass our book project and discuss. Their homework is to complete the project.
*Week 12 - present their project to the class (20-25 min). Since this is the last day of class, we just party :-)

As for the vocab activities, I pass out 1 of each of the vocabulary activities for the fall semester and then 1 set of each activity for the spring semester. My students aren't always the best about completing homework :-) So if they turn out those 4 sheets at the end of the semester, they get a treat. My kids obviously complete more than this for the year. But many of the parents at the co-op are piece-mealing their curriculum together and so many of them already have a vocab curriculum. They don't like to see too much overlap. With HOD, it isn't overlap but for them, it may feel like it. I try to be flexible so that everyone gains the most benefit but I try to make it a good fit for everyone - if that makes sense.

And this is the same format I use for both semesters. Hope this is helpful.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:54 pm

Thank you, Daneale! That was quite helpful. Our co-op is quite a bit longer, around 30 weeks so I could probably fit in another genre or two. I enjoyed reading how you broke it up. :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10