Looking for info. on A Child's Story of America

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Alison in KY

Looking for info. on A Child's Story of America

Post by Alison in KY » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:41 pm

I know I've read a thread or two concerning A Child's Story of America having some things in there that were questionable for some parents...but I cannot find the thread discussing it. Would someone please share with me the possible issues with this book, or even give me the pages/chapters and I'll check it out for myself.

Thank you.

Alison

Tmisek

Re: Looking for info. on A Child's Story of America

Post by Tmisek » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:17 pm

I don't have the book, but I do notice in the Bigger Schedule for the Extension Pack there are two selections which say "you may want to omit due to content"...page 178, and pages 181-182. I'm not sure if there are more, though :)
Tammy

Mommy of 3 treasures:
dd14
ds12
dd10

:) Enjoyed: LHFHG through MTMM!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:27 pm

Alison,

A Child's Story of America is a reprint of an older text which was updated in its wording and to include some additional content by Christian Liberty Press. It is mainly the end section of the book that we feel goes into material that is better left to discuss at a later date with your kiddos, especially the mention of Bill Clinton's infidelity. We do omit these final pages and note that you will want to use your own discretion when deciding whether to use the end pages (as they are not scheduled within our guide). It is also important to note that for this reason this text is not used as the spine or core of our program but rather is used as an extension. :D

We chose this text for the Extension Pack because it serves the purpose of presenting the other side of American history that is rarely told within most secular history texts. It strives to provide a conservative, Godly perspective of American history (that is readable by 4th and 5th graders) without going overboard in its providential slant. :D

It's important to remember that all texts have a bias, and all interpretations of a text are subject to our own bias as we read them. This is good to bear in mind when weighing the opinion's of others. The only truly perfect book is God's word! With that being said, this particular text has been distinguished through many excellent homeschool reviews. Cathy Duffy reviews this particular book highly on her website linked here: http://cathyduffyreviews.com/history-ge ... merica.htm

While I could list multiple other positive reviews of this book from other homeschool reviewers, the only true opinion that matters for your family is your own as you seek to follow God's call within your own home. :D So, if this particular text does not suit YOUR family, you can easily choose not to use it without affecting the flow of the program. :D

There was a discussion on the board at one point about A Child's Story of America, which was a very well thought out discussion among our board members, until it took a less than Christ-centered turn in its tone. The thread had to be removed when it left no Christian way for us, or anyone else, to respond further. A post was made on the board explaining our reasons for removal of the thread, as this is something we don't usually do. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks ladies :D . I appreciate the page numbers, and Carrie, thanks for your information. I used the search but I wasn't getting anywhere, I guess I remembered the thread that had to be deleted. I'm killing some time until I start ds in CTC later this year. I bought this book to have him read through until then, so I'll definitely check out the later chapters.

Alison

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Alison,

I agree that it's a good idea to read through the text and see what your feelings about it may be, however keep in mind that we schedule it in conjunction with the Eggleston books and the other Extension Pack books (in order to provide a more balanced approach to history). We would not schedule this book to be used without other resources. :wink:

It is also not meant to be an exhaustive history (but it works well when paired with Eggleston and our other Extension Pack books to provide more information on what the kiddos are studying). The book sometimes slides into the category of not always being politically correct (as it has its origins in a much older text). My husband and I had some excellent discussions about it, as we'd never had anything but a secularized, sanitized version of American history prior to this. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:29 am

Thank you Carrie. Some things may not be as much of an issue since I looked at the front of my book and saw it has no revisions, so it has a copyright of 1989. OF course when I bought it used I thought it was current :D . That's what I get for thinking. At least I don't have to worry about comments on the Clinton issues.

Alison

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:49 am

we have been very blessed by CSA this year, omitting the sections Carrie has listed as optional. :)

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:26 am

We started it yesterday and my son liked it okay...he didn't think it was as good as Hardy Boys though. :D