video for 18 month old

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mommyofgirls

video for 18 month old

Post by mommyofgirls » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:31 pm

okay, i'm as anti-television as the next cm homeschooler. BUT, if i could just get 20 min the morning, my life would be SO much easier! i just need her to be still for 15 or 20 min, and Elmo does not engage her. i remember that being the first video my older kids watched for a few min. Does anyone have any good, reasonable video ideas that might engage a young toddler?
Wife to my wonderful husband for 8 years
dd5 - LHFHG, Abeka phonics, Horizons math
dd3 - LHTH
dd1 - bringing me Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? and sitting in my lap :)

inHistiming

Re: video for 18 month old

Post by inHistiming » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:44 pm

I'm not sure, bc my youngest is only 10 months right now...so she loves Elmo (though we rarely watch it!), but all my other kids always LOVED the Veggietales videos when they were toddlers and preschoolers. I would be willing to bet your little one would love them, too. HTH :o

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:07 pm

Baby Einstein videos, Barney, and Caillou have been the big hits at our house. We usually do a half hour video in the morning, and another half hour in the afternoon. Oh, and we have also been able to pick up a couple of great Bible singing VHS (not sure who produces them though) and "See how they grow" science VHS at local thrift stores such as Goodwill.
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

Candice

Post by Candice » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:10 pm

We love any DVD's by Hap Palmer!
They are wonderful and Mr. Palmer has such a sweet singing voice.

Candice :D

Happy2bMommyof3

Post by Happy2bMommyof3 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:47 pm

The Baby Einstein videos, Baby Noah and Baby Galileo were big hits for my now 3 year old. She loved baby Galileo so much that she still sometimes asks to watch "baby galla" like she used to call it when she was little. The colors are very vibrant and the music is soothing.

Hope this helps!
Heather
Wife to the most hardworking man I know,
Mother to three amazing gifts from the King...
Amelia -8 - BHFHG + DITHOR
Noah - 5 - Christian Liberty Press Kindergarten
Lily - 4 -Rod and Staff Pre-K

mommyofgirls

Post by mommyofgirls » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:50 pm

thanks so much, i will look for those titles! i feel silly pushing tv on my baby! LOL :lol:
dd3 - LHTH
dd1 - bringing me Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? and sitting in my lap :)

krismoose

Post by krismoose » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:59 pm

Any of the Cedarmont Kids DVDs have been GREAT...Toddler Tunes was a big hit with both around that age, and they have a variety of biblical songs on their DVDs. Baby Einstein World Animals was also a hit. No harm in carefully chosen DVDs for limited times, IMO. My kids watch 30-45 min in the afternoon while I prepare dinner, generally, and 20 minutes in the morning on days when I need time to shower. I figure it's just a nice convenience for this season, until they can someday amuse themselves without strife :D
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Both of my children loved the Baby Einstein videos, Baby Mozart and Baby Noah were their favorites. They didn't watch much while they were that young but I admit that I did use them sometimes to have the 20 minutes to shower and get dressed. :D They are now ages 5 and 7 and still choose to watch the Baby Einstein videos!
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

gratefulmama

Post by gratefulmama » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:51 pm

I have loved loved LOVED the Baby Praise videos. My little girl is just about to turn 20 months and this is one video I have put on for her. My favorite is Born to Worship. They are kind of like Baby Einstein except set to worship music then they'll show kids playing, smiling, flowers, ABCs, 123s, balls etc. The music is so wonderful. The only problem is you'll want to sit with her. I've bought them at a local Christian bookstore but I just googled "Baby Praise DVD" and they came up $13 at amazon HTH
Blessings,
Victoria
Wife to my hero for 17 yrs
Blessed to be a mom through the beautiful gift of adoption 4x!
DS (10/03) CTC, DITHOR
DS (5/05) CTC, DITHOR
DD (5/08) LHFHG
DD (02/11)

mommyofgirls

Post by mommyofgirls » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:23 am

gratefulmama wrote:I have loved loved LOVED the Baby Praise videos. My little girl is just about to turn 20 months and this is one video I have put on for her. My favorite is Born to Worship. They are kind of like Baby Einstein except set to worship music then they'll show kids playing, smiling, flowers, ABCs, 123s, balls etc. The music is so wonderful. The only problem is you'll want to sit with her. I've bought them at a local Christian bookstore but I just googled "Baby Praise DVD" and they came up $13 at amazon HTH
Blessings,
Victoria
those sound great!! i'll look for them...thanks!! :)
dd3 - LHTH