Needing direction in getting going with HOD....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MommyInTraining

Needing direction in getting going with HOD....

Post by MommyInTraining » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:58 pm

This was a quote from me on a previous post:
I am having trouble trying to stick to my MOTH schedule.
I guess I filled my schedule too full and it felt too overwhelming. I have so much I want to accomplish and if I don't feel like I am get it all into the schedule then I feel like I am failing. But, in actuality, when I cram the schedule full and it feels overwhelming, I just abandon it and even less gets done :? .

my3sons wrote: Have you thought about doing Beyond half-speed for a bit and then going full-speed? I know you are expecting now, and may be overly tired and stressed. I think doing Beyond daily even half-speed would help get a routine going and alleviate some stress overall. Just an idea - praying for you and your pregnancy, Terri!

Love in Christ,
Julie
(Emphasis above mine :D )

Julie and Carrie,

You know the scenario I am trying to achieve with my 6 and 8 year olds doing Beyond and my almost 11 yo doing the left side of Beyond, right side of Preparing and DITHOR.

We attempted to do part of the schedule I had put together for one day and I haven't tried again :( . We just have been trying to do the basic things like handwriting, grammar, reading, and math. I have been trying to do DITHOR too with my almost 11 yo and she is on her 3rd genre currently.

I have even been thinking maybe HOD is not what I should be doing right now and I should just give them a textbook to read :(. I really want HOD to work for us. I should probably do what Julie suggested above, but I am not really sure how to do that. I guess I need to go back and revamp the whole schedule. I am just concerned about falling even further behind. The baby will be here in just a few more days and I really need to have a plan in place BEFORE that happens :shock: !!!

I have Beyond, Preparing and DITHOR to schedule (oh, and of course Little Hands, but that can be put on the back burner if need be). Please let me know what your suggestions are :D !

Thanks so much for your help and encouragement!
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

funkmomma71

Re: Needing direction in getting going with HOD....

Post by funkmomma71 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:53 pm

Wow!! You do seem to have your plate full, but here are some ideas that have popped in my head.... maybe you could have the 10 year-old do some of the read-aloud stuff, maybe the storytime, if the books are challenging enough maybe they could be her DITHOR books. If you haveher do the the storyime books as her DITHOR then she could go and do her stuff while you work with the younger two. The history read-aloud could also be done by the 8 or 10 year-old, that is if the 8 year-old is ready to read this level of book.

In my home, my dd is responsible to get her handwriting done on her own, before we get started on school, she also conpletes some of her math workbook pages after we are done with our instruction time. I will check them, of course, but she to complete them on her own. Whatever she is capable of doing on her own, she does, it frees up my time for my little one.

I wouldn't worry too much about doing LHTH just yet, maybe after the baby is older and things have settled down somewhat. You really could wait until the 2 year-old was 4 before starting LHTH, at that time the baby would be almost 2 and maybe could join in.

As for the half-speed thing, most moms who do this usually do one side of the plans a day rather than both sides daily.

Above all, "Cast all your cares upon the Lord, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7 Take this to heart!! He will take your burden and make it light. When we are not able, the Lord is able.

May God bless you and keep you.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:25 pm

[quote="MommyInTraining"]
I am just concerned about falling even further behind. The baby will be here in just a few more days and I really need to have a plan in place BEFORE that happens :shock: !!!

quote]

Terri, this really stood out to me. Girl, just relax and enjoy these last few pregnancy days and enjoy your future days of holding your newborn. Nothing catastrophic will happen if you don't have your schedule fine tuned in the next few days. You are living life with your kids and that takes time.

If you are doing some schoolwork, then what do you really consider you are behind in? If the 3 R's are getting done by the oldest, then good job and give yourself a pat on the back. If 2/3 of the R's are getting done by your 6 and 8 yr old then give yourself another pat on the back. And if your little ones get cuddle time with mom and have plenty of play time, then great job mom.

Honestly, your schedule overwhelmed me. And I feel exactly the same way you do, if I can't do it all then I just get overwhelmed and shut down....which get's neither one of us anywhere :wink: So relax and prioritize things...youngers can play and get some great storytime at night before bed. Oldest can read some of the history selections to herself. Consider buying a simple workbook in science if it will help you through this time. Reach out to other mom's who have several kids and find out how they pull everything together. Check out www.time4learning.com to use temporarily....it's school and a load off for you.

But most of all....get plenty of rest to get geared up for labor time :mrgreen: .

Take care and let us know when the baby arrives.

Alison

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:39 pm

quote="MommyInTraining"] We just have been trying to do the basic things like handwriting, grammar, reading, and math. [/quote]
I know where you are!!!! AND the basics - especially at the ages you have right now - do take a lot of time! Let me make a suggestion as I recall starting, stopping, starting, trying, starting and sticking to our HOD curriculum. Take a deep breath and slow it down to what you can handle. We started HOD last year. I ONLY did selective bits and pieces of the program and added on SLOWLY. Personally, I would drop everything with the exception of Beyond's Devotions at the breakfast or right after, History reading to start your day and Story time during naptime OR just before bedtime after the littlest ones are already down for the night. That will leave the rest of your day to "direct" your kiddos with the basics. Check off your HOD guide box as you go. You'll be surprised as to what you actually do accomplish! I love HOD because I am actually getting my "basics" done, but also the fun stuff in History, Story reading, projects & devotions. Praying for you!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:24 pm

juliekay wrote:quote="MommyInTraining"] I ONLY did selective bits and pieces of the program and added on SLOWLY. Personally, I would drop everything with the exception of Beyond's Devotions at the breakfast or right after, History reading to start your day and Story time during naptime OR just before bedtime after the littlest ones are already down for the night. That will leave the rest of your day to "direct" your kiddos with the basics. Check off your HOD guide box as you go. You'll be surprised as to what you actually do accomplish! I love HOD because I am actually getting my "basics" done, but also the fun stuff in History, Story reading, projects & devotions. Praying for you!

Thanks ladies for the advice.

So, Julie, did you go back and do the things that you skipped on certain days like science or did you just keep moving forward?
Terri

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DS-1yo

creekmama

Post by creekmama » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Oh, my. I have a hard time keeping up with things just with two kids! And only one is doing HOD! I was really consistent for about eight weeks, but it's gotten a lot tougher lately to get it all done. I had surgery, one kid got sick, Mama got sick, now it's Christmas time...Aaaargh! I am learning to enjoy the flexibility of HOD. I'm doing what I can each day, trying to make sure we get some basics done, going back and picking up missed activities when convenient. Things should settle down in January, and I should be able to be more consistent again. I have to remind myself daily that it's okay!

Enjoy your precious new baby. What a special Christmas for your family!
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:19 pm

MommyInTraining wrote:[So, Julie, did you go back and do the things that you skipped on certain days like science or did you just keep moving forward?

I did not. I just skipped it totally and it finally got added into our routine. HOD makes it easy to do that. OR just take 1 Science book and spread it out a little longer. During crazy months I just added "easy school" for my older ones in the areas that I felt we were struggling to get done. For example: Magic School Bus DVD from the library or Jonathan Park CD's for science. I remember last year while doing Bigger we substituted a picture book, "The Boy Who Loved to Draw" for John Audubon Biography just because I knew I couldn't get to it. Of course, the point is to grow out of that stage and move on to the full curriculum, but because HOD uses great living books it makes it easy to add or subtract, but still accomplished in your school day.
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Terri - You'll soon be having your precious baby, and we all know that while this is an incredible blessing, time caring for the baby will most certainly take up a good portion of your day. I do believe HOD is one of the most friendly curriculums out there to teach - with little prep and clear-cut plans, it truly is possible for a responsible child to teach in a pinch. My 10 yo is super helpful and at an age where he enjoys being more independent. I am wondering if your 10 yo could just be responsible for doing the left side of Beyond with the 6 yo and 8 yo. The 3 of them could have a quick breakfast and get started in another room while you take care of the "littles". :D Your 10 yo could read the Reading about History selection on the couch to the other 2. Then, she could do the bottom left hand activity box (that rotates) with them, with you available to answer questions if she has any. About that time, your littles could be done with breakfast and you could all sing the Corresponding Music selection together (we often march around the kitchen and the toddler loves it). After that, they could practice their Bible verse together, do the simple calisthenic often suggested (a welcome bodily/kinesthetic activity at our house :lol: ), and then take turns saying it for 10 yo dd. On the last day when they share it, they could all share it with you. Last, your 10 yo dd could certainly do the poetry box with them, and get them started on their copywork. You could skim the right side of PHFHG, seeing if your 10 yo needed your help for anything. Then, she could head to a private, less noisy place to do the right side of PHFHG independently. After the 6 and 8 yo finish their copywork, you could put baby and 2 yo to nap and finish the right side of Beyond with the 6 and 8 yo (if it's not 2 yo's nap time, I'd give 2 yo snacks and have him/her watch a Barney video somewhere somewhat away form you that is safe. Then, Spelling should take 5 minutes, Phonics is important to do with each of them (but be sure to choose a time conscious program such as The Reading Lesson), Storytime should take 10 minutes or so (pick shorter books with short chapters, or simply have them listen to audio books and follow along), finally Singapore math should not take more than 15-20 minutes either. You should still have some time left of baby's/toddler's nap to rest yourself hopefully. If I were you, I'd get ready myself first in the morning, get school done, and then dig into the chores of the household in the PM.

You could go to a textbook approach if you wanted to. I personally think that so much is missed in doing school with a textbook approach though - much of the "heart" of learning is gone and very little retention seems to occur. However, there is a place for textbook learning. It does not require much teaching usually. I know you are tired and overwhelmed, but I also know you want more for your dc. I think your dd can step in here and help for this season in life. If she were doing textbooks, she'd be independently doing things anyway, why not just have her doing and leading Beyond's left side? Eventually though, after baby is settled in and you are back to normal, you will want to be teaching again. Being active like this in our dc's homeschooling is a mother's heart's desire, and I want that joy for you again. If there is anything you can cut out of your life that is stealing your time, that would be good to consider too. For example, I found I was taking a bunch of time each morning to pick up the house and ready it for school and for the day. To save that time, we have the dc "cleansweep" (sweep through the house and pick up) the house before bedtime and we run the dishwasher. This has helped so much! I also found the phone was stealing my time. So, I told everyone that we needed to make homeschooling a priority and I'd not be answering the phone until after lunch each day. This has made a HUGE difference in what we can get done and in my stress level. Another time stealer for me was getting on the computer for emails, message boards, checking a quick website for information, etc. I do not touch my computer until school is done now, and that has made a big difference as well. I know you are a busy mom with many dc, and that sheer numbers keep you hopping all day, but I bet if you set out a legal pad and jotted down what you were doing all day you'd find some simple changes you could make that could help (I sure did!).

This order I suggested doing things in is simply that - a suggestion. I know it may not work perfectly, but hopefully it can give some practical ideas and help get the ball rolling. God is always the best decision maker, so bring your concerns to Him and see what direction He leads you in, Terri. I am praying for you and hoping everything goes smoothly for you and your new little one soon! God is big enough to walk you through all of this, to be by your side and show you the best way. I know He will do that for you because you love Him as He loves you.

Love in Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:13 pm

Terri,

This thread is full of good tips and terrific suggestions to truly ponder. I pray you will find something in here that helps! I also pray that your delivery will go well and that you will feel the Lord's arms surrounding you during this time. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:00 am

Ladies, thank you all for your thoughtful replies.

Julie, thank you for taking the time to share your suggestions :D !

I thank you all for your time in helping me figure things out.

Blessings,

Terri
Terri

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DS-1yo

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:58 am

Terri,

Has your baby arrived? Thinking of you and praying for your precious family this snowy Virgnia morning.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:38 am

Thanks for asking Florence :D !

The new little one will be here in about 14 days if all goes according to plan :lol: !

I hope you are enjoying your snow!!!

Blessings!
Terri

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DS-1yo

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:54 am

OK Ladies,

I need your insight. I have really been struggling on how to get things moving in the right direction with little ones needing my attention. I know I need my almost 11 year old dd to be more independent. So, this is what I have typed up for her. Can you all please share whether you think this looks OK, or if there is anything you would change about it? The set times for things was not going well with me, so I am hoping that this type of setup will work better. What do you think?

DD1 School Routine:

• 8:00-Wake-up on own/Miracle Music points: Make bed w/ DD3, go to bathroom, get dressed, brush hair, do job (clothes sorted and delivered to rooms), eat breakfast (whatever Mommy has set out), rinse dish, take vitamin, brush teeth.

• Practice piano for 30 minutes (use timer) (do any theory pages before next lesson) (write down date you practiced on index card on piano)

• Check whiteboard for calendar time info and fill in calendar book

• Get out Preparing Hearts for His Glory book. Turn to tab and read notes from Mommy on what to do for the day. Go to appropriate workbox # for assignment. For example, read the poetry square in book and then go to poetry workbox to complete assignment.

• Move from one workbox to another throughout the day. If there is a workbox assignment that you need assistance with, put a HELP button on it and Mommy will meet with you about it. Go on to the next workbox while you are waiting. If an assignment has a time limit, use your timer!

• Workboxes will contain various assignments. Some of these will be:

o Handwriting
o Critical thinking
o Math
o Math drill
o Grammar
o Drawn Into the Heart of Reading assignments
o Science Exploration
o Bible Study

• Do the workboxes in order, only skipping one if you have put a help button on it.

• You will be joining DS1 and DD2 for some activities/readings/exercise/video viewing. If Mommy calls you, please leave your workbox assignment and come back to it after you are done with participating in the group lesson.

• Be efficient. Do not waste time. There may be Wii or TV time at the end of the day. However, for those who have not finished their assignments, they will have to do them during this time.

So, how do you think that looks? Remember, I am getting ready to deliver a baby in about 12 days and have a 2 year old and 4 year old to tend to. So, I want her to be able to do a lot of her work independently. I still have Beyond to do with the 6 and 8 year olds.

Thanks for any input you can offer :D !
Terri

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DS-1yo

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:08 pm

HI Terri,

I think this looks really good and I think this will work better for you. I can tell you've been working really hard. I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year. Feel free to email if you ever want to talk further, I love discussing homeschooling.

Alison

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:33 pm

Thanks Alison.

I appreciate your input and your willingness to help me figure out a workable schedule :D !

I don't know if that set-up will work with my oldest dd or not. I will still have to go through the Preparing guide and leave sticky notes as to what to do and get the things into the workboxes, but at least I can do it when I have a free moment ( :lol: ) instead of going by the clock when the baby may be needing to nurse or something else is needing my attention at that time.

I would appreciate any other suggestions or input if anyone has a thought to share!

Thank you!
Terri

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DS-1yo