? about extension pack for Bigger (age range)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
countrymom

? about extension pack for Bigger (age range)

Post by countrymom » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:41 am

If you use the extension pack from Bigger to be read to the child instead of as an independant reader, could you drop the age range a little lower, or is it still best to stay within the specified age range? I have a child that loves, loves to be read to and although he is not ready now, I am trying to plan ahead with all of the reading material. Thanks
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: ? about extension pack for Bigger (age range)

Post by Carrie » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:43 pm

Countrymom,

There are quite a few moms who choose to use the extension pack books for read-alouds for their kiddos aged 7-9, especially if you are a book loving family. Of course, you may need to do a bit of screening as you read in case some of the subject matter is a bit above your kiddos maturity level. But, for the most part, the books in the extension pack of Bigger Hearts will work well as read-alouds too. :D

Enjoy! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:32 pm

We read aloud the extension pack for most of the year. I think it would work for a 7 year old for most of it if they are able to listen for that long the . The only thing I can really think of is the extension Science, Exploring Planet Earth, might be a little over their head in a few things. We did the questions written but they could be skipped or done orally. That's really the only thing that I can think of that may be a place to watch. My then six year old listened to a lot of the extension pack and she loved it. The science is the only thing I kind of lost her on as I remember. I figure when she is old enough she can read the books herself either when we get to Bigger or as a DITHR or free reading time thing. I think you are going to find your kids will love the extension pack books! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:29 pm

On a sidenote, you may wish to wait with Exploring Planet Earth, for your youngers anyway, as it's going to be one option scheduled within the science of Resurrection to Reformation. If you have a child using the Extension Pack in Bigger Hearts though, you'd have him/her read it as scheduled in the Extension Package (as there will be an option 2 in RTR for those who have already used Exploring Planet Earth as well). :D

Blessings,
Carrie