Introduction

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
EmmaLismom

Introduction

Post by EmmaLismom » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:20 pm

Hi everyone!

My name is Dawn and I am the proud momma to 3. My son is 20years, my daughter is 17 years and we brought our "baby" (5 years old) home from China 3.5 years ago. My oldest are products of the public school system and while they survived I want more for our youngest.

We are taking things slow here for a lot of reasons, one being she is behind from spending almost 2 years in an orphanage before coming home to her forever family, the other is she is she has a lot of anxiety over her adoption and fears her life could change in an instant again. The last is because I was diagnosed in August with Multiple Sclerosis. Right now we are just lapbooking our way through the alphabet with stuff I come up online to put in it. We are using Horizons math but I worry that while she is getting the answers right she has no idea what she is doing. She has to count from zero or one just to add 3 + 2. I don't think that is something we will even consider for next year but I am in no position to change financially right now. We will just put it aside if things get too difficult for her. (right now it isnt a problem) We are also using Abeka social studies and some handwriting books I found at Walmart.

I am currently trying to find something for next year when I plan to start a more "formal" kindergarten program for her. I look forward to finding something that will work for me since I am loosing abilities quickly and tire easily now. I need something that is all inclusive and "out of the box" HOD does seem to be what I am looking for. Luckily I have time to see just what she'd need and how to order it. I just wanted to jump in and introduce myself.

Thanks for reading,
Dawn

Candice

Re: Introduction

Post by Candice » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:27 pm

Dawn,

Just wanted to send you a warm welcome, it's nice to have you here! :D
Don't hesitate to post any questions you might have.

Candice :D

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:42 pm

Welcome, Dawn!
HOD is a fantastic program. It is a breath of fresh air. I think it would work wonderfully for you because it is fun and engaging for the little girl and easy to implement for Mom! I'm sorry you are struggling with your health. You will find this board to be very encouraging. As far as the need to start at one when she adds or counts, that is a developmental step that all children go through. I can't recall the term used in child development right now. Because of her background, she may be delayed in that area. At some point, she will not need to begin again at one. There is no way to "push" her through that developmental stage. It will come when she is ready. Until then, just have her play around with maniupulatives and do lots of counting activities.
hth,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

EmmaLismom

Post by EmmaLismom » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:04 pm

Thanks Candice and Laura! The more I check into HOD the more impressed I am. I have been praying specifically to find something for Em that will work for both of us and that is God centered and this does seem to fit!

Laura, thanks for the tip about the math being a developemental stage, its been a LONG time since the older 2 were in Kindergarten. LOL We will just keep plugging along until she either gets it or gets frustrated and then we will put it aside. I am a very layed back parent this time around, the MS only reinforces it.

As for the MS it is not as bad as some have it, it was a total surprise though and I am hoping to find a new normal sometime soon. It's been a rough few months lossing things I used to take for granted but I have a very supportive family and there are lots of new meds out there, I just have to find the right balance and leave the rest to God!!

Blessings,
Dawn

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:37 pm

I am new here too but wanted to say welcome! We do have something in common as both of our boys are adopted (Korea, Vietnam) and one came from institutional care. He just turned 3 and I have started him in LHTH. It is perfect for him, as he has a hard time with concentration, holding still, and has sensory issues. I will put him through it again next year with a little kinder thrown in. I think you will find HOD very easy to use. I put our oldest through another kinder program this past summer and I was really worried about going forward. Now my worries are over.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

creekmama

Post by creekmama » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:16 pm

Hi, Dawn! I've been using LHFHG with my ds5 since August. He and I both love it. The program is so rich but still very low key. Neither of us finds it overwhelming. I hope it will work well for you, too.
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:40 am

Welcome to the HOD board, Dawn! :D I've enjoyed using LHFHG two times now (with 2 of our dc), and have loved our trip through it both times. I think your precious Em would love it too! For a portion of my last trip through LHFHG, I was pregnant and on complete bedrest. We were still able to get school done and enjoy our days together so much. I just set out the things in order on the counter each morning and had my ds bring them to me as I needed them. The boxes make it super easy to teach from, and I've never had to prep a bunch ahead of time to teach HOD. It is a very God-centered program, and as I've moved through the guides each year, I've found myself growing closer to the Lord and my dc as their faith grows as well. May God bless your homeschooling, and I have said a prayer for you and your health as well.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

EmmaLismom

Post by EmmaLismom » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:17 am

Thanks again everyone for both the warm welcome and encouraging posts!!!

I am now almost 100% convinced this IS the curric for us next year. I'm so excited I want to start now but I know that is not the right thing yet.
I spent most of last night trying my best to find a reason not to use it, I have found glowing reviews but wanted to see the other side as well. I went to a forum that pretty much just bashes everything (and to think these are all HS parents, YIKES) and all the reasons people were giving not to use it were exactly why I think I will LOVE it!

I have prayed to find something and really feel a piece about this choice! I know I'll have moments of doubt between now and then, that's just me. I am only human afterall. :D It just feels so good to find something that incorporates everything I have wanted in one place and won't require too much prep for me!

Thanks again everyone and thanks HOD!!!
Dawn

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:42 am

Hooray, Dawn! Welcome to the HOD family - we are so glad you have made the decision to use HOD, and I think you will love it as much as we do. :D I agree with what you said about other forums too - I love the way this board is so encouraging and positive. I think it reflects the hearts of the ladies on this board. You'll fit in perfectly! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

EmmaLismom

Post by EmmaLismom » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:17 pm

Thanks Julie! I feel so at peace right now over all of it! (and that is very unusual for me) :D

Now to brag a little! My 17 year product of the PS system was just accepted to Judson University today! Oh my gosh, I have a daughter going to college next year!!! :shock: Anyone know of a quick growing money tree we can plant???

In Christ,
Dawn

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:21 pm

Dawnb,

The ladies have done a wonderful job of welcoming you and encouraging you! I just wanted to pop-in and welcome you too! We're glad to have you here and pray you will enjoy Little Hands to Heaven as much as we have! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:43 pm

Just wanted to say welcome and congratulations on your baby! :D I have a niece from China and 4 of my own from a country near by, Kazakhstan. I put my kids that we adopted in public school because I was convinced by others and myself that it was what they needed to catch up. That was a mistake. So I just want to encourage you that I really think hsing is the absolute best way to catch up and help them grow at the pace they need, especially for a child that has been in an orphanage. Wish I had stuck with it the first time around. But I will tell you a huge reason was I was overwhelmed with what I picked and made several bad choices in curriculum. HOD has been such a blessing. I have kids that are "ahead" of their age and one that is very behind due to special needs. HOD has been a blessing with all of them. :D We did LHFHG last year and it was absolutely wonderful. I will tell you that a couple of my older kids listen in on Beyond this year that are in Preparing this year because they feel like they missed out on the earlier programs of HOD. They are also reading the LHFHG books on their own. That says a lot. I am even amazed they do it!

You have found the right curriculum. It will bless your family. Praying you find the perfect fit in His timing. You are going to love watching your little girl bloom.

Welcome! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:10 pm

Dawn,

I just wanted to pop in and welcome you, too! :D You're going to love using HOD - it is a blessing to me every day. I love being able to be with my kids and teach them 1st of all what the Bible says about our wonderful God...and lead them to trust and serve Him with their lives! (And believe me, I'm encouraged and challenged every day right along with them.)

Praying that you'll be blessed as you dive into homeschooling your littlest blessing!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:08 am

Welcome Dawn!

I know you said you were looking for something for next year. But, I was wondering if you had considered Little Hands to Heaven for the time being? It is a gentle program and lots fun and memory making time for the little ones.

Just a thought!

Blessings to you and I hope to talk with you more!
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

EmmaLismom

Post by EmmaLismom » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:41 pm

MommyInTraining wrote:Welcome Dawn!

I know you said you were looking for something for next year. But, I was wondering if you had considered Little Hands to Heaven for the time being? It is a gentle program and lots fun and memory making time for the little ones.

Just a thought!

Blessings to you and I hope to talk with you more!
Thanks, I have considered it actually but I'm not sure I want to switch gears with what we are doing right now. I'm going to reevaluate that over Christmas break though and might just start with that. I have decided to school year round since my MS is so unpredictable right now it will help us feel less like we HAVE to do school everyday.

This forum has been so welcoming and helpful, I know I have made the right decision on curic!!!

Dawn