Carrie--? about using the teacher's guide for Rod and Staff

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MommyInTraining

Carrie--? about using the teacher's guide for Rod and Staff

Post by MommyInTraining » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:33 am

We have started Rod and Staff book 3 and I did purchase the TM. However, I was wondering if you recommend doing the additional exercises that are listed in the TM, or do you suggest just sticking to the actual lessons in the student book and just using the TM mainly for the answer key?

Thanks for any advice you can offer...

Terri, who is still trying to start using Beyond and Preparing before this little wee one makes his/her appearance!

We have gotten started on handwriting for 6, 8, and 10 year olds, math for 6, 8, and 10 year olds, grammar for 10 year old, DITHR for 10 year old, some reading practice for 6 and 8 year olds, thinking skills for 6 and 10 year olds. But, we still need to get going on our Beyond and Preparing history, science, spelling, dictation, read alouds, etc. And, Little Hands for the little ones :D .

We do have a schedule made up, but Mommy has to have the discipline to start it!!!!

Thanks again Carrie :D !
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

Kathleen

Re: Carrie--? about using the teacher's guide for Rod and Staff

Post by Kathleen » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:23 pm

Terri,

I can tell you what I'm doing. :D I do the oral review questions. Then Grant and I read through the lesson from the textbook. Then we go through the "written work". I usually have him answer half of them out loud, and then he does the writing for the other half. So, if there are 9 things in part A we'll do 4 or 5 aloud and then he'll write the next 4 or 5. Then if there are 4 things in part B, we do 2 aloud and he writes 2. Etc. for as many sections as there are.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:57 am

Thanks Kathleen!

Bumping up for other responses....
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:42 pm

Kathleen wrote:Terri,

I can tell you what I'm doing. :D I do the oral review questions. Then Grant and I read through the lesson from the textbook. Then we go through the "written work". I usually have him answer half of them out loud, and then he does the writing for the other half. So, if there are 9 things in part A we'll do 4 or 5 aloud and then he'll write the next 4 or 5. Then if there are 4 things in part B, we do 2 aloud and he writes 2. Etc. for as many sections as there are.

:D Kathleen
This is exactly what we do as well. There are always 5 oral review questions in the teacher's manual (this begins in Level 3, I believe). We read the text, do the oral part orally, and then do half of each section orally or on markerboard, and the other half my ds writes in his composition book. Sometimes we do entire sections orally if I see no benefit to him writing the answers (i.e. if he's supposed to write "F" for fragment, "RO" for run-ons, etc.) I see not added benefit for him writing it - so he just says it all orally. However, if the skill is diagramming sentences, I may have him do more of those, since the writing of it is the key learning of it. Hope that makes sense! I know Carrie will get back to you as time allows too. Have a great weekend! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:36 pm

MommyInTraining,

For Rod and Staff 3, I do begin the lesson with the 5 question oral review from the Teacher's Guide. Then, either I read aloud the left page or the child reads it on his own. Next, we go through the oral exercises in the book together very quickly, and we do as much of the rest of the lesson orally or on a whiteboard together as time allows. I typically assign the final portion of the lesson as written work. I always choose some diagramming to be done on paper and also assign any other portion of the assignment which would benefit the child as written practice.

We like to keep our lessons short and sweet, and my boys love having the least amount of writing possible! They also enjoy the interaction with me. :wink: We do not do the extra worksheets or tests provided in the back of the book. We find the daily lesson to be enough. :D

On the other hand, I do know moms who use Rod and Staff independently, having the child do the bulk of the work on his/her own. This would also work, but would result in more writing for the child. It would also be important to check the child's work each day to make sure he/she is understanding the lessons. The oral review questions from the Teacher's Guide at the beginning of each lesson become more important as you move into levels 4, 5, and 6.

Blessings,
Carrie