OT - Lamplighter books

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
dale1088

OT - Lamplighter books

Post by dale1088 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:51 pm

Hope it's okay to ask this here. If not, admin pls delete.

I'd like to start collecting a few Lamplighter books a year for my kids, specifically one each for Christmas to start. I think they are beautiful and would be excellent heirlooms for them to take from home to college and to their own homes someday.

But, I have no idea which titles to start with. My dd (9) is tender hearted and sensitive and I do not want to expose her to very difficult themes/circumstances (exteme poverty, death, being orphaned, disease, etc). The descriptions of these books are so brief that I am not sure how to decide which are the best ones to start with. I can always progress to deeper themes as my kids get older. And my son is only 5, not reading yet, so I may just wait for him to get them a little later.

I know "Teddy's Button" is a great one, and we own that book but it's not a Lamplighter version, just a regular paperback. We haven't even read it yet but hope to soon. Are there other titles that you all have read and really like, especially for a sweet-hearted girl? Maybe "Basket of Flowers" or "Rosa of Linden Castle" or "The White Dove"?

Help is appreciated!
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

creekmama

Re: OT - Lamplighter books

Post by creekmama » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:02 pm

Thanks for mentioning the Lamplighter books. I was not familiar with them, but now I've ordered their catalog. I'm hoping that will give me more information about them. They look good! Sorry this won't help you. Just a thank you!
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)

dale1088

Post by dale1088 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:36 pm

No one can help with any recommendations? :shock: :( Please help if you can!
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

hopefulhearth05

Post by hopefulhearth05 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi !

I own only 4 Lamplighter books and I am hoping to buy another soon.
I have read Teddy's Button (unillustrated hardback) and Little Threads to my 6 and then 8 year old son and
daughter. We also have Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince and The Hidden Hand- older (this one I bought for my self
because I was curious) and I have read them all . I cried when I read Teddy's Button and Little Threads and both of these books were good and my children really enjoyed both. I teared up with the depth and the beauty of these stories. When I read Little Threads I thought , " I probably will not cry with this one , like I cried with Teddy's Button" I was wrong. They both led to really great discussions . In Little Threads there is some
poverty and the mother and daughter are experiencing hardship but the book is not extreme . This book is worth the read! I am going to read this book to my children again in a few years. They're both great stories.
Both of my children got really involved with the stories and they wanted to know what was going to happen to the characters.. I liked these books because I liked the way the characters became real for my children
and I got to talk to them about attitudes and behaviors etc. I cried with Teddy's Button because of the innocence
and beauty of a God loving child. I guess I would suggest that you read the books first and then share them with your child according to what you feel she can handle. It would be hard to choose between Teddy's Button or Little Threads. I guess in retrospect I would say that I liked Little Threads the most so far. Sir Malcolm was good and I will probably read this to them this summer but I really loved Little Threads .
I don't know how this helped you . I guess all I can say is they are beautiful stories that you guys will probably be able to treasure together.
Have fun.
Jess :D

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi,

I love the Lamplighter books! Basket of Flowers was wonderful & I think it would be fine for your dd. It has sad parts but they are tempered with trusting in & relying on the Lord. I am doing what you are. We buy at least one a year. We own Teddy's Button, Buried in the Snow(death, very sad) & 2 more that we haven't read yet & I can't remember right now!
If you go to their web site you can get free shipping for NOV. I get the newsletters & that is how I found out.

HTH! :D
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:16 pm

Well, I own several, love them, and have been thinking about your thread. However, most of them have very sad elements. They are just tempered with godly character and love. My recommendations from the ones I have would be Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince, The Legend of the Easter Egg, Willy's Trunk, Mary Jones and Her Bible, The Three Weavers. My personal adult favorites are Ishmael and Self-Raised. The Spanish Brothers was also very good. We have many more, but I cried deeply with most of them! I buy them for Easter for my children. I pick one for each child that I can relate to each of their God-given strengths or their weaknesses and write an inscription for them inside.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.