Help in planning our future guides.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Alison in KY

Help in planning our future guides.

Post by Alison in KY » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:15 pm

You know how sometimes you think you have it planned, then doubts come into your mind...well that's what I'm going through. Maybe God's steering me in a diff. direction than I originally planned. Anyway, here's what I am thinking:

I have been planning on starting CTC next year with my 11 yr old, and just letting my younger two listen in a bit. Now I'm starting to have some doubts. What I want is to only use one guide at a time, even if that means that the youngers are just hanging out listening to some of the older read alouds (if age appropriate)...or I would just have them read some good history stories that are age appropriate. Now I'm thinking I could just use the guides in order and it would fit all my kids age ranges. My biggest concern is preparing my oldest, currently 10, for high school. If I went with going through all the guides, he would be in 7th for CTC, then 8th through 10th for the last 3 guides. Will those guides be enough history and science for him at those grade levels? We are hoping he would go to college.

Or I could just go with my original plan of having him start CTC next year (5th grade) and going through these older books, then in 9th I'd probably use My Father's World high school selections.

If it helps anyone's suggestions, at the moment I am not using HOD suggestions for math and English, so I am only relying on HOD for Bible, poetry, history, geo, science, etc.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Alison

MommyInTraining

Re: Help in planning our future guides.

Post by MommyInTraining » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:44 pm

Hi Alison,

I don't have much advice for you, but wanted to say Hi!

Glad to see you posting :D !

The only thing I can really comment on is that I wasn't comfortable with the mythology book MFW uses for high school.

Again, so glad to see you around :D :D :D !
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks Terri, I've been busy schooling my crew, plus being sick around here, so I've stopped showing up at WTM and HOD, except occasionally.

Are you happy with your choices?

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:58 am

Alison,

I'd be glad to talk through options with you if you could give a bit more information. How old are your younger kiddos? Also, it would help me to know if any of your kiddos are currently using an HOD guide, and if so which ones? :D

One other thing that would be very helpful to know is how independent the kiddos are and how well they do with reading, written work, and listening to longer read-alouds.
:D
Blessings,
Carrie

shaybird

Post by shaybird » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:57 pm

Alison,
I just read your post and thought I would give my 2 cents worth. You could totally use the guides with high school if you bulk up the writing and literature and add high school science, foreign language and whatever electives you wanted. I have graduated 2 who are attending colleges on scholarship and are on deans list and the guides with a bit of tweaking would be great. Unfortunately, college is not as demanding as some would have us think. I am pondering returning using college plus program but am nervous because of age and brain loss but my husband gently reminded me that I would be in classes like our 2 oldest and we both laughed, we both believe college was harder in our day. My kids think it is funny... but it is not! All this to say that after using the CTC guide, it would make a solid base with some tweaking.
I am planning on using the guides for high school as well as college plus prep with my younger children. Love them!!
sharyn