I dont know what to do....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
cdrx4

I dont know what to do....

Post by cdrx4 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:53 am

My ds, is having so much trouble with "basic" math, addition and subtraction. He starts his math lessons already "defeated" :cry: and it breaks my heart. We are first time homeschoolers and when I ordered the package for Bigger Hearts, I ordered the Singapore math 2A and B. That did not go over well at all and after a month of tears for both of us, I stopped Singapore and ordered CLE for third grade, however its not going well either. I am at wits end...I want him to be encouraged with his math. I dont understand how when he was in Private school last year using Abeka he was making straight A's and now we are struggling. I dont mind getting another math program but now he wants to go back to Abeka and I just want to make the right decision for him....

Does anyone have any ideas or math programs you would suggest? Thanks for lending an ear...

Carol Ratliff

cdrx4

Re: I dont know what to do....

Post by cdrx4 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:54 am

I am sorry, I should have put a little more info...he is 9 years old and I guess technically in the 3rd grade......Sorry and thank you.

Carol Ratliff
Carol Ratliff
Wife to dh of 15 years
dd 10

lovetobehome

Post by lovetobehome » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:02 am

Every math program is so different....if he was doing well with A Beka before, maybe keep using it at home?
I have no advice for using Singapore, I tried to convert to it, but it didn't go over well here, either. I know it is a fabulous program, but it was too hard to switch and find the right level. Did you try the placement tests online before ordering the level?
Just a thought. I wan t my kids to really like math, because I hated it as a child....to me it is really important to find something that makes math at least somewhat enjoyable! I think the way Carrie writes the guides with fun math activities would be awesome. I just didn't start out using it. I don't really have an answer, but you'll get good help here....don't give up, you'll fin d a way to make math enjoyable for him, the first step is to make sure you get the right level...
DS 11 Finished CtoC! Moving on to RtoR!
DD 9 Preparing- Hoping to give her the best year possible, and sticking to the guide as written!
DS 4 All About Reading, R&S preschool workbooks, maybe some Little Hands

Shimmer

Post by Shimmer » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:57 am

My sister-in-law uses Math U See for her five kids. It has DVD instruction with the lessons so the parent can watch the instruction part alone and teach it the child separately or the child can watch the DVD with the parent. She loves it and I've heard postitive experiences with homeschool Moms in my area. Just another program to consider.

Sounds like going back to Abeka would be a good option. Is there anything about that program that didn't seem like a good fit to you?
2016-2017
dd1 - ResToRef
dd2 - Preparing
dd3 - Beyond
dd4 - LHTH

billswife

Post by billswife » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:39 pm

We are using CLE too. When I did the placement test for my son, he ended up in 3rd grade math and he is in 5th grade. This is our second year homeschooling. I'm thinking that CLE might be more advanced than the public school grade levels. We have had a difficult time finding the right math program. Singapore did not work for us. Now that he's been doing CLE he doesn't complain so much. So I guess my suggestion would be maybe trying a lower level.

Good luck!
Ann

DS 17 New American History
DD 13 Rev to Rev
DD 11 CTC

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:08 pm

we do use Math-u-see and we like it. My son has a few more units and he will be in Alpha. he is almost 6.

if your son liked Abeka and you don't have a problem with it , then i would say use that.
Or maybe try a different level of whatever math you decide. it isn't necessarily a "grade" to choose. ya never know. kids go at different speeds and maybe jump ahead later.

Math programs do differ a little. i have noticed that Math-u-see and Singapore teach a few things at different levels from each other. Yet kids still learn in both. all depends on what works for you.

my daughter (4.5) sees her brother doing his math and says she wants "a big book like his". we may start her out slowly.

praying you find the right fit.

p.s. i have heard alot of good things about CLE, as well.

Jenn d.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

cdrx4

Post by cdrx4 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:59 pm

Well upon talking with our "Principal" , my husband. He told me to take him to the local home school store and have him sit down and look at the math books and choose one that way. We have purchased Horizons math 2 he said he likes it because it looks like the math he had at school. Praying this is "THE" math program he needs to get where he needs to be. Thank you so much for all of your input. I just love this board and all the seasoned homeschool families that can help us!
Thank you so much!!

Carol Ratliff
Carol Ratliff
Wife to dh of 15 years
dd 10

Polly

Post by Polly » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:56 am

We were in a similar boat. This is what worked, finally, with my son. I used MUS Alpha and Beta. I think Alpha is essential. I actually used them along side CLE but I am not going to do that again. CLE is much more intensive than Singapore. They are both spiral programs. Some kids just don't learn well with that approach. MUS Alpha explains the concepts so well that my son has not had any issues with not knowing the basics.

We are currently using Practical Arithmetic http://systemath.com/index.php/20080114 ... arted.html

It's going VERY well. I can really see the wisdom in this approach. It's also giving him confidence. However, I am modifying it. My son literally had panic attacks with CLE. He knows his facts. But he freaks out when given a timed drill. SO, I don't do the timed drills in PA. I just having him do a few problems (odd or even) if he gets them all right and I know he has mastered the concept, we move on. You could do the same with CLE. CLE just threw too much at my ds and he was overwhelmed.

My plan with my younger child (this is our 14th year of homeschooling) is to do MUS Primer, Alpha and Beta. Then switch to Practical Arithmetics. MUS really gives a solid foundation.

I have more math advice, but I'll stick with that for now. :-)
Polly

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:06 am

We use CLE math and my son, who is "mathy" is working at 1/2 grade level below. CLE is advanced, but I am totally convinced that it will help a child memorize facts, if you start on their level. The speed drills and flash cards (daily) are very important.

My younger son is 6 and doing 1st grade CLE math. While he is supposed to "memorize all the flash cards," I do not require that of him just yet. He was getting very frustrated, so we started using counters and have now gone to using fingers when he comes upon a card he doesn't know. Each day, I noticed him getting better and better at doing the cards and he is remembering more and more. Also, I stress quality and not quanity on his speed drills. I don't care if he only gets 10 problems - as long as those 10 are correct. And I make sure to put a BIG smiley face with GOOD JOB at the top. He loves that. Once we have timed the drill and I have "graded" it, I have him do the rest of the problems at his own pace. It is working, but I had to tailor it to my child's level and not exactly what CLE expects. KWIM?

My advice would be to test your son in math and go backwards as much as you need to in order to help him succeed. He can't do 5th grade math if he doesn't know his 4 basic operations - going on his grade level will only frustrate him if that is the case.

Best of luck to you!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:41 am

I agree with the PP who states that if Abeka was working for him that you should go back to Abeka. He liked it and was doing well with it.
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11