Handwriting

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
pollo_la

Handwriting

Post by pollo_la » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:57 am

I have been using Handwriting Without Tears for my 5 year old this fall. I decided to go with this because she is left handed, and from several reviews this seemed like a great option for left handers. WELL... I'm not liking it so much. The way they have the lines is even slightly confusing for me! Out of the two options that HOD recommends what do you feel are positives and negatives? Is there one that would be better for lefties?
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

krismoose

Re: Handwriting

Post by krismoose » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:46 pm

We haven't used the HOD recs, but we are using 2 books from Handwriting Help for Kids, by Lisa Marnell, OTR. We're using the K book, Learn Letters, and the cursive intro book, Create Cursive. Rainbow Resources has this review of the program:
http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist ... egory=1978

We are doing cursive first with my Ker, and this program is great, even though it wasn't written for K. The books are very multisensory, and the font size is very large, which helps us a lot! They seem like they'd be great for lefties...HTH :D
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:18 pm

We're using A Reason for Handwriting, and it's going great so far! :D My oldest used this as well for K-2. For K, it has letter practice and a picture to color on the back of the page. The next book has them pracitice words in Bible verses and copy them onto a nice sheet to share with someone. We really liked this.

I'm sure the Italic is good, too. I think it just depends on which style of writing you'd prefer your child to use. I have no clue if it would be easier or harder for a lefty to slant their writing like the Italic does. :? My youngest is a lefty...so I'll have to remember to ask you what you learned in a couple years. :wink:

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:57 pm

[quote="krismoose"]We haven't used the HOD recs, but we are using 2 books from Handwriting Help for Kids, by Lisa Marnell, OTR. We're using the K book, Learn Letters, and the cursive intro book, Create Cursive. Rainbow Resources has this review of the program:
http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist ... egory=1978

i 2nd the Handwriting Help for Kids. i really like the layout of the book. i have a copy i don't need anymore. my son is a lefty, too. he has picked up on handwriting quickly. i think just having the right position for him writing is what helps most. and i don't know if i am right in this or not, but if his writing is neat, i don't force him to write the letters in the "order" shown in the book. i figure maybe it is the way his brain is working because he is using his left hand and maybe it is more comfortable to draw it in opposite order. Like for "Z" he will start at bottom right hand corner and and work his way up.

i may use the Creative Cursive as well when we get to that point.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:58 am

My dd1 is a lefty I also did not stress on how she forms the letters. As long as they are recognizable. She starts her "b's" in the middle! and actually forms her letters like they show here: http://www.lefthandedchildren.org/letter-formation.htm

I also bought left handed pencils and a guide for parents from http://www.thelefthand.com/ but I don't see the teaching guide on there any more.
I do remember the guide saying to tape the paper in place so the child could not move it. This encourages proper hand placement and avoids the crabbed upside down writing. Now if I could only get her pencil grip to be right...

Also I put any copy work on the right hand side of the page, and make her copy it to the left side of the notebook. This way the arm is not covering up what she is supposed to be looking at to copy!
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:16 am

[quote="Tansy"]My dd1 is a lefty I also did not stress on how she forms the letters. As long as they are recognizable. She starts her "b's" in the middle! and actually forms her letters like they show here: http://www.lefthandedchildren.org/letter-formation.htm

Love that site! Now i don't think i am crazy or i should say i can tell my husband we are not crazy for letting our son write how he feels comfortable.

thanks for the site.

Jenn D
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

jessyb26

Post by jessyb26 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:39 pm

We use HWT for my daughter who is 6. We used the k program last year and reviewed this year with 1st. The paper is confusing so I only use the HWT paper when working in the workbook for everything else we use regular 3-lined handwriting paper. I like the formation of the letters with HWT and how it is a multi-sensory approach to handwriting but the paper is confusing. My daughter's handwriting improved once we decided not to use the HWT paper for activities outside the workbook and she now has beautiful handwriting for a first grader.
Jessica

Married to Jack for 11 years
Our Little Blessing Anna(7) - Bigger

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:13 am

We used A Reason for Handwriting with both of dc, and it worked well for them. We liked it because it was clear, short, had them write an appropriate amount of letters, and tied to Bible verses as they got older (in the A book). One of my sons loved coloring the accompanying animal pictures in the K book, and one chose not to. When my ds did Cheerful Cursive after completing A Reason for Handwriting, he transitioned easily into it. We used the big yellow chunky pencils from Miller Pads and Paper for beginning handwriting, and they worked great! Here's a link to them in case you are interested:
http://www.millerpadsandpaper.com/catal ... temID=1754

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie