1st Day with PHFHG, LHTH & DITHR. I'm tired..

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
juliekay

1st Day with PHFHG, LHTH & DITHR. I'm tired..

Post by juliekay » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:37 pm

And my house has books and papers everywhere! :shock: BUT overall we (mom and kids) are very pleased with our first day. I don't know how you could possibly add in another Guide, but that is exactly what I need to do next year! I think that once we get our rhythm, tweak our organizational storage for all these books and refine our book-sharing schedule - it won't feel so busy.
What did they like the best?
ALL the drawing! Drawing in Independent History, drawing in Science, drawing in History project! All 3 boys loved this!
In LHTH - my daughter loves the cutting & gluing!
We're having a little trouble getting into the songs, but I think I will just play the songs casually throughout the day tomorrow vs. "focusing" on them & see what the reaction is.
I am amazed and thrilled at the numbers of times I picked up my Bible, a Bible story book or even reading scripture quoted in a read-aloud! It was NOT too much nor repetitive. Now, I must focus on that organizing for another HOD day tomorrow!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

striving2Bprov31

Re: 1st Day with PHFHG, LHTH & DITHR. I'm tired..

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:43 pm

I had to reply to your post when I saw the part "I'm tired". I am right there with you on that and we haven't even started yet!!!!!LOL I saw that you have quite a crowd there that you are schooling. You are a busy lady!!! I also struggle with being stinkin' tired at the end of the day--or the beginning. One verse I shared on another post that has sustained me day after day is I Thessalonians 5:24-Faithful is He that calleth you, who also will do it. How can we do this without HIS strength?? As you know, we cannot. This is something I have to CONSTANTLY encourage myself with!! I know as you and I find our groove maybe we will be less tired??!! Anyway, hang in there--KEEP MOVING FORWARD!!--One of my favorite "sayings"!! Praying God's blessing and anointing upon you as you are exhausting yourself for the sake of HIS calling upon your life!! (I think that was a run-on sentence)SMILE))). Keep us posted!

Rest for you,

Liz
dh of 11yrs.
dd9,ds7,ds3,ds 8 months

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:50 am

Thank you for the encouragement Liz! Normally I don't get to this message board until all kids are in bed late at night, but for some reason I decided to pop on this morning. As soon as I read your note I knew the Lord lead me here this morning before our day even began!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

mariaw

Post by mariaw » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:37 am

You will get the hang of it! And so will your kids. We are on week 6 now of Preparing and LHFHG, and it's MUCH easier going. I'm also looking at 3 guides in a couple of years, but I'm sure we'll "grow into it." :D Hope you have a great school day!!
dd9 - Preparing with R&S 3 and Singapore 2
ds7 - LHFHG
ds5 - LHFHG
dd1.5 - in charge of hiding all our pencils

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:52 am

We're growing into 3 guides here too, by next year we'll be in 3 for sure. I had the blessing of doing 1 guide first, and then adding the second, and then eventually we'll start the third. This has been a nice progression for us, but I know it's not the opportunity everyone has. And you jumped in and started all 3 things (PHFHG, LHTH, DITHR) full-speed the first day and made it through! I do believe this is cause for celebration, if you have the energy to raise your coffee cup - CHEERS! Here's to having the first day under your belt! :D We did PHFHG/DITHOR and LHFHG last year. The first part of the year we were finishing by 2:30 or 3:00 PM (this was with a long lunch/recess break in the middle). By the middle of the year, everything was clicking along so great, time was literally falling off the schedule, and we ended up redoing the schedule by putting the long lunch recess break at the end of school. We were soon finishing school by 12:30 PM. I think sticking with the order of a schedule and establishing a routine did this for us naturally. So, your first day is probably one of the longest days you'll have. Oh, and at about 40 yo, I'm tired anyway! :lol: I've been tired this whole summer, and I didn't do any school. Anyone else out there feeling your age?!? :lol: Just keep with it, and you will soon be enjoying shorter days, and also just looking forward to your teaching time more and more. It was such a blessing to watch my dc's faith in God and knowledge academically grow last year! You have some amazing heart to heart talks coming up in the plans, as well as some really neat memories to make together. This is what we moms were born to do, and God equips us as needed to do it well. :wink: He'll do that for you too! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

gmhaynes

Post by gmhaynes » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:35 am

Okay, I need some reassurance on this...I am wondering about doing more than 2 guides. How in the world do you balance this? We are currently doing 2 and some days are a struggle. I was wondering if I should make the oldest repeat a year and just keep her ahead in the core stuff (Math/English) but do the extension packs for the upper grades. Any ideas on this? I know that as we progress they will also work more independently. Does this stuff just work itself out??

I am glad I am not the only one that thinking about this.

Mary

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:43 pm

YES, Julie, at 40 I am feeling my age! I did start getting up in time to get a 25 minute bike ride in before breakfast though and that is REALLY helping. I have time to pray, AND, I can already feel some extra energy. I decided those extra baby pounds were not just going to disappear on their own (oh how I wish!). When I look at everyone's schedule though, I decided I SHOULD be tired (smile).
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:45 pm

8arrows wrote:YES, Julie, at 40 I am feeling my age! I did start getting up in time to get a 25 minute bike ride in before breakfast though and that is REALLY helping. I have time to pray, AND, I can already feel some extra energy. I decided those extra baby pounds were not just going to disappear on their own (oh how I wish!). When I look at everyone's schedule though, I decided I SHOULD be tired (smile).
I'm glad to know I'm not alone. How ARE you summing up the energy to exercise in the morning? I have such an on again, off again relationship with exercise. I did it pretty much all summer - me and Leslie Sansone hitting the treadmill, but sadly now, exercise and I are off again. I've ordered new treadmill music for inspiration - wish me luck! I soooo need to have an on again relationship with exercise. Can I count my extra weight as baby weight when my youngest is 2 1/2? :lol: Must exercise... must exercise... must exercise...

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie