Question for Carrie, or anyone who knows

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mumkins

Question for Carrie, or anyone who knows

Post by Mumkins » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:32 am

Does CTC teach only biblical history or is it world wide at that time? Also, in future manuals, will there be a US focus on history or worldwide, especially once it gets to modern history?
7 awesome kids!

3 graduated
4 at home this fall
DD6 Beyond
DS10 Preparing
DS13 MTMM
DS16 online high school

eazbnsmom

Re: Question for Carrie, or anyone who knows

Post by eazbnsmom » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:26 am

Mumkins,

CTC covers the history of Ancient Israel as well as it's surrounding neighbors (the Sumerians, Egyptians etc). Here is the TOC of "The Story of the Ancient World" by Christine Millers which is the spine for history.

http://www.nothingnewpress.com/guerber/ ... tents.html
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

homeforhim

Post by homeforhim » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:33 am

Hi Mumkins,

As far as the future guides go, I had posted the very same question earlier (since I too am Canadian): "Since I am online, I thought I would post my other question as well! Does Carrie know if the history content of her future guides for Exploration and Modern Times (years 3 and 4 of cycle) will focus on both American and world history or predominantly one or the other? I am looking ahead as my oldest would be able to complete all four levels, ending in grade 8. I love planning! Thanks,"

Carrie did reply to me and here was her response: "Yes, currently the plan is to cover American history within the scope of world history."

I just copied and pasted - I don't know how everyone else gets the previous post to appear like I have seen :)!

Hope that helps!

Rachael
DS 15 M2MM
DS 12 M2MM
Enjoyed Preparing, CTC, Res2Ref, & Rev2Rev

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:58 am

homeforhim wrote:
I just copied and pasted - I don't know how everyone else gets the previous post to appear like I have seen :)!

Hope that helps!

Rachael
Rachael,

There is a little "quote" button in the right hand corner of each post. Click on the button of the post you want to quote and it will bring up the "Post Reply" box with the quote inside! HTH :D
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:33 am

I understand this question - thanks for asking it. It is personally very important to me that what I'm teaching my dc honors God but also teaches history well - all history, both Biblical and world. Here is a complete description of The Story of the Ancient World taken from the book description:

The Story of the Ancient World

Description: From the Creation of the world through the fall of the Persian empire at the hands of Alexander the Great in 331 BC, The Story of the Ancient World retells as an engaging narrative the history of mankind’s beginning, the rise of the nations, and the story of the great ancient civilizations of the Sumerians, the Hebrews, the Egyptians, the Phoenicians, the Assyrians, the Babylonians, and the Persians. Old Testament history is taken as authoritative, and the history of the other great ancient civilizations is also told, woven in and out of the Old Testament story at the proper places in the narrative.

As the story of the entire ancient world was never completely told in a single volume of Guerber’s histories, Christine Miller has taken Guerber’s The Story of the Chosen People and has included chapters relating the history of the Sumerians, Egyptians, Phoenicians, Assyrians, Babylonians, and Persians, and has woven them all together into a single, seamless narrative, carefully preserving Guerber’s own style. An extensive bibliography of sources is included.

Taken from the Publisher’s Preface: The Story of the Ancient World begins with the text of The Story of the Chosen People by H. A. Guerber, but a comparison of that book to this will show immediate and numerous differences and additions. The Story of the Ancient World has been greatly expanded by chapters relating the history of the ancient peoples previously mentioned. As well, the greater story of the ancient world has been interwoven with Guerber’s chapters, so that the Biblical history can be understood against that backdrop.

But it is not just Biblical history which benefits from the more complete picture drawn. I have taken the Biblical history as authoritative in all cases, and it has acted as the plumb line for the evidence left to us
by archaeology and classical history. Looking at “secular” history through the lens of Biblical history has allowed, I trust, a complete and unified picture of the ancient world to emerge, which makes sense of the monuments, and the often disjointed facts children encounter in library books about this period.

This would not have been possible without the careful scholarship of many individuals, and a complete bibliography of sources is listed in the back of the book. But a few in particular were of enormous help, and this book would not exist without them. These were The Defender’s Study Bible by Henry M. Morris; Josephus: Complete Works by William Whitson; The Annals of the World by James Ussher, revised by Larry and Marion Pierce; A New System, or an Analysis of Ancient Mythology by Jacob Bryant; and The Five Great Monarchies of the Ancient Eastern World by George Rawlinson.

In each of these works, the history related by the Old Testament was esteemed accurate, and the light they shed on the ancient world was invaluable. Any of the details of the ancient world which emerge in this book, then, which may seem surprising to modern readers because they are little known in our day, are not new, but were gleaned from one or more of these five sources, and have in some cases been supported, often unwittingly, by modern books which deny the historicity of the Old Testament, A complete study of these sources will confirm, I trust, the history told in this book.

As with the other Guerber histories republished by Nothing New Press, The Story of the Ancient World is illustrated throughout (in black-and white) with famous paintings of its historical subjects, and photographs of the places it describes. Not only are maps present in the beginning of the book, but throughout the text as well, which greatly aids in making the narrative more clear. And as with the other Guerber histories, the pronunciation of personal and place names are carefully marked in the text upon their first occurance. A complete timeline of the events and persons mentioned in the text, a thorough bibliography, and an index round out the book. This book is scheduled for the child to read independently.

And here is the book description for...
Ancient Greece: Streams of History:

This reprint of a 1902 edition by Ellwood Kemp narratively presents the main geographical
features of Greece and provides interesting historical sketches of the life of the Greeks at four different stages of their development: Age of Homer, Persian Wars, Age of Pericles, and Age of Alexander the Great. The writing emphasizes Greece's growth to a land of great beauty and shows Alexander's influence in spreading Hellenistic culture through Egypt and Asia. The text provides a good look at the rise and fall of ancient Greece without seeking to glorify the Greek gods or the Greeks’ system of beliefs.

And here is the book description for...
Ancient Rome: Streams of History
This reprint of a 1902 edition by Ellwood Kemp narratively presents the geography of Italy
and the life of Rome at three different periods of her growth: her infancy, her strong manhood, and her old age. The writing relates how Rome in her early years established herself in Italy, then engaged in conflict with Carthage, her most powerful neighbor and enemy. It shows how Rome finally extended her power all around the Mediterranean, giving to the world peace, law and order, and making unconsciously a highway both for Greek culture and for Christianity to spread to the West.

Reading these descriptions reassured me that there is an excellent balance of history represented in CTC. I hope it does for you too! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:20 am

Thanks ladies!

Ok, so when Carrie said to cover US history in the scope of world history, I'm just wondering which will be the main focus?
7 awesome kids!

3 graduated
4 at home this fall
DD6 Beyond
DS10 Preparing
DS13 MTMM
DS16 online high school

kayrenee

Post by kayrenee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:26 am

Mumkins wrote:Thanks ladies!

Ok, so when Carrie said to cover US history in the scope of world history, I'm just wondering which will be the main focus?
I'm just guessing, but I think she probably means that the study will include American history AND what was going on in the rest of the world at the same time. IOW, the rest of the world didn't just stop after America was founded, or not somehow have an effect on, what was (and is) going on in America.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:02 pm

Mumkins,

The ladies did a terrific job of answering your questions. Thanks, ladies! :wink:

I'm so glad you got your questions answered. :D

Blessings,
Carrie