Do your dc want to participate in siblings' activities?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sharonb

Do your dc want to participate in siblings' activities?

Post by sharonb » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:08 pm

Those of you who are using more than one program- do your children want to participate in their siblings' activities? I'm mainly thinking about art and science type things. Right now my oldest 2 are in Beyond, but I'm really wanting to start LHFHG with my 4.5 year old (half-speed). I already know that the first time we get to an art project in LHFHG, my oldest two are going to beg to do it too, but they have their own schoolwork to do. Same with science activities and other "fun stuff". What's the best way to handle this? We do our schoolwork in a schoolroom. All 5 children are in there because it's also a playroom. The baby is in the playpen unless it's her naptime. I've read some of your suggestions of doing different subjects in different rooms, but that is kind of difficult with the baby. I really need her in the playpen during schooltime so I don't have to worry about what she's getting into.

Do you let all of your children watch/participate in the other activities if they want to? I would imagine that if it's an art project they are wanting to do, then it's probably best to wait until the schoolday is over, and then let them do it. But I'm also thinking about science activities and other things that they will see their younger sibling doing.

[This is one reason why combining everyone seems like a good idea in theory, but I also see the need for placing each child appropriately. I guess I should look at the bright side- HOD is FUN for the children, and they WANT to participate!]

water2wine

Re: Do your dc want to participate in siblings' activities?

Post by water2wine » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 pm

I let mine watch but not participate and I will tell you why. I am mean, hahaha! No seriously I use it to my advantage. I let the younger kids show the older kids and I let the younger kids watch the older kids. Can I tell you how excited my younger kids are to actually be able to do Bigger now and how special my bigger kids felt to get to do it. But the Bigger kids were also envious of the activities the little kids got to do and that made the little kids feel special. :D In finishing our year I had the older kids reading some of the books the little kids did and the little kids looking at the bigger kids last program and all the books and calling them theirs. It's wonderful.

I get what you are saying about the all in one thing and feeling of together but I promise you with the whole family doing HOD you do still get that. I sometimes let the older kids do with the younger kids part of their reading lesson or have them talk to them about what they learned, sort of narrate it. We have done all together school and we have done two different HOD programs and hands down HOD has blessed us as a family the most. And I would even say that it has made us the closest becasue it is all like minded. My littlest one runs to memorize the verses with the older kids (now that I do let happen) or will listen in sometimes on the readings and the other way around. And it is not because they do not get enough time together but becasue they are genuinely interested and to them it is just more HOD they get in their day. But activities are special in our family and you only get to do them when you do the actual program. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:40 pm

Thanks for your reply. I think I should go that route- where everyone does their own program's activities, but not those of their siblings. I think my 4.5 year old in particular would benefit from not having his activities "invaded" by his older siblings, LOL!

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:17 am

together: Bible, Bible verses, Rhymes in Motion, Finger play, music

Separate: copy work, math workbook, Lang Arts, handwriting, fine motor skills, number pages, count on me, color pages, reading, phonics, story time

either way: history, art, science

Typically on the separate things they are all working at the same time, so they feel together, yet they know they are doing their separate work. And whenever they are doing things together I make sure to say "Ok, now it's Jayden's Bible time" or "this is Grace's art project" and I only keep whoever's art it is for their curriculum.

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:33 am

Yep. It is not great either because my little one will be doing the same things next year with the same program. Oops. Hopefully he will forget them by them. Also, I think it means less to him because brother is the one actually studying the material - little fella is just watching the experiment. Worst case scenario, he will "guess" right every time. ;)
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:54 pm

When we did Beyond, my youngest was 4 and he was definitely right there, watching, assisting, participating and learning with his older brother. You can go back on the weekly reports and see pictures of the two of them and it was the best time they had together - their relationship with another did nothing less than further bond them together. They are so close to one another and that was the best goal out of the whole homeschooling experience - knowledge is great, but family, well, they are priceless. I'm returning this year to HOD (why did I ever take a break I'll never know?) but I'm looking forward to this shared bonding time, along with them working within their own programs/levels but without a doubt, I know my little guy will be right there, in the middle, helping, watching, assisting and learning right alongside his brother (and his two older siblings, too).

Heidi - LEO wife and mom to 4
DS - 10th
DD - 8th (waiting for next year's Middle Ages)
DS - 4th - Bigger Hearts
DS - 1st - Little Hearts (maybe Beyond)
Heidi - LEO wife for over 21 years
Mom to 4 - ds 21 (college), ds (RTR), ds (visual-spatial learner who needs to see the big picture first) and future educator dd 18 (college)