Good morning! We are starting today............

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
christyg

Good morning! We are starting today............

Post by christyg » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:06 am

Good morning ladies! Well, we are starting today! This is our very first day homeschooling! We are doing kindergarten with my daughter who is 5 (will be 6 on Sept 1). I have been so nervous about this day. I know that God has led us to do this, but I have struggled in the last couple of weeks with all of those thoughts we all get from time to time like "why am I doing this, my life would probably be so much easier if I would just send her to school?" :lol: But, I know those thoughts are not from the Lord, and I have tried to focus on why we made the decision in the first place. So, we are excited this morning and praying that everything goes smoothly. Please pray for us this morning! I will let you all know how it goes...............

Thanks,
Christy :D

spidermansmum

Re: Good morning! We are starting today............

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:41 am

We started our new curriculum today and I had some similar feelinges- I hope today goes well for you.Which Curriculum are you using? :D
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

mamaloves4

Post by mamaloves4 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:35 am

I am praying for you both! The first day is always a mix of excitement and nerves, but it will be great. (even if it's not so great!--the last two years our first day of school has been challenging due to finding that routine again, but it ALWAYS falls into place and it is so worth it.) I will be starting next Wed and it is my sixth year, but I have learned to go into the day with a laid back attitude! I never know how it is going to go--when I expect it to be great, it's not so great and when I expect it to be challenging, it's easy!
Have a great first day! I love homeschooling--challenges and all! Enjoy your kids and enjoy the journey!

Jess
Jessica
married for 12 years to Chuck
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH
dd2--filling our days with joy and LHTH fingerplays and stories

icukirt

Post by icukirt » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:58 am

Starting a week from today ourselves...this week is prep week...
Kirstin
wife to Scott since 2001
step-mom to ds (14) in private school
mom to ds (5 1/2) will start LHFHG 2009-2010
mom to dd (2) who is speech delayed and has just started speech therapy

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:05 am

I just prayed for you that it will go well! :D Congrats on your decision to homeschool. :) My best day of school is usually not the first day - it's probably about a week in or more - so if that's the case for you - no worries! It just keeps getting better doing HOD. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

christyg

Post by christyg » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:08 am

Ok, we have just finished our first day in LHFHG. I have a question..................We were done in 70 minutes, is that normal? I know that the guide says the average is 90 minutes for LHFHG. We didn't rush anything. I think that she is just ahead of what we did today. I still think that LHFHG is the best placement for her. I think that she really enjoyed it. I think that it was just a little weird for us, since we both aren't used to structured learning. I have been at home with her since she was born, and she has always learned through just normal playtime and fun reading. So, I think that after we get used to the more structured aspect of it, we will do well with it. All in all, I think that we can call it a successful first day. :D Thanks so much for all of the prayers!

Christy :)

jessyb26

Post by jessyb26 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:51 am

We also started this morning. We are doing Beyond this year and today has been wonderful. We started our morning out celebrating first grade by having breakfast with one of her friends. It really helped get her excited about starting school up again. Have a great first week!
Jessica

Married to Jack for 11 years
Our Little Blessing Anna(7) - Bigger

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:19 am

I think 70 minutes is fine,some days have a little more action packed into them - some a little less.The adverage day will take about 9o minutes .Im glad you had a great first day- we loved LHFHG
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:13 pm

HOORAY! It sounds like your first day went off without a hitch. :D When we did LHFHG, the average day took us an hour and a half, but other days took less, and some more. So, you're doing super! :) We used to be less structured before beginning LHFHG too, but I have been so thankful for the structure in all of the HOD guides, especially as we move through the upper guides. I think that structure is the reason we are homeschooling so stress-free using several HOD programs at once. I know I have all the bases covered, and the dc know what to expect. Congrats on a good start - here's to another good day tomorrow! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

creekmama

Post by creekmama » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:02 pm

Sounds like you're off to a good start! We start in a couple of weeks, and we can hardly wait. These posts are so exciting!
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:01 pm

Christy,

It sounds like you had a terrific first day! :D We pray that you and your little honey will enjoy LHFHG as much as we did last year with our own little guy.

:wink: Blessings,
Carrie