Scheduling Questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
queenbeaz

Scheduling Questions

Post by queenbeaz » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:46 am

I can't make my order until DH gets paid next week :( , but I will be using BHFHG & DITHOR, with different LA and Math programs for ds9 & dd7.5. I'm planning on using workboxes, so I'm trying to set up schedule strips and such, but have a couple questions. I also have dd3.5 & ds 1.5, so I need to know which subjects you feel are good to involve the little ones in, the ones that can be done if they are just hanging around but not directly included, and which ones are best for doing at nap time. Also, which subjects are more for independent work as opposed to mom-led. TIA!
Wife to DH of 14 yrs.
Mom to: Bug (ds13)
Lil' Coconut (dd11)
Pinky Lee (dd7)
Boo Boo Bear (ds5)

http://www.thebeazhive.blogspot.com

my3sons

Re: Scheduling Questions

Post by my3sons » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:56 am

queenbeaz wrote:I can't make my order until DH gets paid next week :( , but I will be using BHFHG & DITHOR, with different LA and Math programs for ds9 & dd7.5. I'm planning on using workboxes, so I'm trying to set up schedule strips and such, but have a couple questions. I also have dd3.5 & ds 1.5, so I need to know which subjects you feel are good to involve the little ones in, the ones that can be done if they are just hanging around but not directly included, and which ones are best for doing at nap time. Also, which subjects are more for independent work as opposed to mom-led. TIA!
Welcome to the HOD Board! :D We did Bigger Hearts a few years back, and we'll be doing it again when we finish Beyond. BHFHG taught my ds so much, and I learned to love American heroes from it myself! :D You are going to enjoy teaching with BHFHG. In answer to your questions - which things are best for each of these...

Good to involve little ones in...
Corresponding Music
Poetry Lesson
Storytime (good to read during lunch)

Good have to little ones hanging around but not directly included...
Science Experiment
Spelling dictation

Best to do during nap time...
Reading about History
DITHOR Lesson and Emerging Readers Set
Science
Grammar

More for independent work...
Poetry copywork
Cheerful Cursive
DITHOR Student Book

Semi-independent...
Bottom left of left side of page rotating box (Geography, Art, Vocab., History Activity, Timeline) is semi-independent;
once you give the directions, they can work on it on their own for all of these except geography
Math is also semi-independent; once you do the lesson, the workbook is independent

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

queenbeaz

Re: Scheduling Questions

Post by queenbeaz » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:51 am

Thank you Julie! I really appreciate this, it was very helpful. I love to plan stuff out, although I'm not so good at following through. That's why we picked HOD for our first real year of homeschooling. I appreciate your encouragement!!
Wife to DH of 14 yrs.
Mom to: Bug (ds13)
Lil' Coconut (dd11)
Pinky Lee (dd7)
Boo Boo Bear (ds5)

http://www.thebeazhive.blogspot.com