Preparing Hearts

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
billswife

Preparing Hearts

Post by billswife » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:20 pm

Is there a box for art in Preparing? Is the Draw and Write through History considered the art time? I'm going to be using this for my son this year and am a little confused.
Ann

DS 17 New American History
DD 13 Rev to Rev
DD 11 CTC

mariaw

Re: Preparing Hearts

Post by mariaw » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:31 am

We have just completed the first week of Preparing, so I will tell you what I know so far. :D Yes, Draw and Write includes art--we had 3 days of drawing this week that dd has loved. But this book isn't scheduled for all year. The Independent History Project looks like it is mostly art projects, though. They are worked on in small bits a little each day. Hope that helps!!
dd9 - Preparing with R&S 3 and Singapore 2
ds7 - LHFHG
ds5 - LHFHG
dd1.5 - in charge of hiding all our pencils

mamaloves4

Post by mamaloves4 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:05 am

Hi!

We did Preparing Hearts last year and we loved it! In fact, I recently laid out all the projects on our table to take pictures of them for my scrapbook and I thought I would try and post them here so you can see them. (I hope it works!) I did not get all the projects pictured because my lovely dd had some special ones tucked away in her room (viking brooch, stained glass picture, fish made from applesauce and cinnamon)

There is not an 'artist' study, but there are plenty of artsy type projects working with different mediums such as clay, paper, paint, drawing of course with that wonderful book 'Draw and Write Through History'. I loved how the projects were spaced out over three days--it kept the time and mess down to a manageable level. Also, since Preparing is 4 days a week we would occasionally study an artists work and then attempt to draw the picture. We did Mary Cassatt last year. I wasn't totally consistent with this, but the kids do recognize the works they looked at and drew.

Well, I have attempted and failed at posting pictures!! Sorry about that. I hope this information helps!!

Jess
Jessica
married for 12 years to Chuck
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH
dd2--filling our days with joy and LHTH fingerplays and stories

mamaloves4

Post by mamaloves4 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:07 am

Okay, I guess it did work, but very large, I will try again!

Jess
Jessica
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH

mamaloves4

Post by mamaloves4 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:07 am

Okay---can anyone explain how to do this???

thanks,
jess
Jessica
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH

kayben

Post by kayben » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:09 am

mamaloves4 wrote:Hi!

We did Preparing Hearts last year and we loved it! In fact, I recently laid out all the projects on our table to take pictures of them for my scrapbook and I thought I would try and post them here so you can see them. (I hope it works!) I did not get all the projects pictured because my lovely dd had some special ones tucked away in her room (viking brooch, stained glass picture, fish made from applesauce and cinnamon)

There is not an 'artist' study, but there are plenty of artsy type projects working with different mediums such as clay, paper, paint, drawing of course with that wonderful book 'Draw and Write Through History'. I loved how the projects were spaced out over three days--it kept the time and mess down to a manageable level. Also, since Preparing is 4 days a week we would occasionally study an artists work and then attempt to draw the picture. We did Mary Cassatt last year. I wasn't totally consistent with this, but the kids do recognize the works they looked at and drew.

Well, I have attempted and failed at posting pictures!! Sorry about that. I hope this information helps!!

Jess

This makes me so excited to start Preparing! We are starting next week with 3 days a week until full swing in the fall. Did you have a special presentation night or something. It all looks laid out so beautifully! I am thinking of doing something like this once a quarter for the grandparents to help the kiddos feel some pride of accomplishment for their hard work! Gorgeous work!!
Rebecca, Wife to amazing DH 21yrs..
dd 15 10th grade PS,ds 14 8th grade PS
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:15 am

Hi,
We are in our 3rd week of Preparing. As mariaw stated, the Independent History box instructs dc to use Draw & Write. After that book is finished instructions are alternated between oral narration, cursive copywork, art , and read alouds. The History Project box instructs dc to complete 1 art/craft project per week. This is my children's favorite box. I have included a link to a page that gives you an overview of what is expected in each box. Hope it works. :D

HTH,
Leah

http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/prepar ... glance.pdf
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

mamaloves4

Post by mamaloves4 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi there!
This makes me so excited to start Preparing! We are starting next week with 3 days a week until full swing in the fall. Did you have a special presentation night or something. It all looks laid out so beautifully! I am thinking of doing something like this once a quarter for the grandparents to help the kiddos feel some pride of accomplishment for their hard work! Gorgeous work!![/quote]

Thank-you! I had intentions to do a presentation night, but it never materialized. This evening was a result of my cleaning out of our 'schoolroom' to make way for this years books and projects. Our dd did explain each and every project to her daddy though (it was a definitely a later bedtime than planned!)

Have fun with Preparing!!

Jess
Jessica
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:49 pm

mamaloves4 wrote:Okay---can anyone explain how to do this???

thanks,
jess
Hi Jess - I had trouble posting pictures too at first - so you are definitely not alone! Here's a link that can help, just scroll down to my post about how to post pictures:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3229&p=23993

We like pictures here, so just keep experimenting until it works. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:51 pm

billswife wrote:Is there a box for art in Preparing? Is the Draw and Write through History considered the art time? I'm going to be using this for my son this year and am a little confused.
The art is done through the notebooking in PHFHG. Draw and Write through History was a favorite at our house, and my ds doesn't even typically like to draw. Have fun with PHFHG - it's awesome! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie