Creating a Special Place for My Son : )

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
JoyousBlessings

Creating a Special Place for My Son : )

Post by JoyousBlessings » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:55 am

Hello,

I am trying to get things together and prepared for homeschooling this fall. I am new to all of this and my son turns five in August, so we will be doing kindergarten. I think I am set with curriculum (HOD, of course). : )))) However, I want to create a special space for my son to do some of his learning. We won't have a homeschool room necessarily, but just a neat space for him to learn.

Right now, my dining room is our office. We don't find the need for a dining room, so it works perfect. I have a wall that I will be putting my son's desk and supplies, and I want to decorate that particular wall right above his desk with some great charts, a calendar, map, and variety of posters. I want all of these decorations to be fun, but also provide learning opportunities when he looks at them.

We have The School Box nearby which sells all kinds of decorating supplies for school, but they are a little pricey. I was wondering if anyone can direct me to a great website that sells all this cool stuff for discounted prices. I do want somewhere that is dependable also. If you know of anything please share. : )

Again, I am looking for a cute calendar to learn our days and month names, weather charts, simple math charts, a map, etc...

Thanks so much!!! : )))

sharonb

Re: Creating a Special Place for My Son : )

Post by sharonb » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:15 pm

Someone else on here posted pictures of items they found in Target's $1 section. They have a lot of great school items this time of year, so they are definitely worth checking out before you order anything!

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi! Do you have any of these near you...Dollar Tree, United Art & Education or Target?

I know our local Dollar Tree had educational posters (double-sided) for handwriting & math and also a "make your own" calendar. I found a weather wheel poster at United Art & Education for only $2 several months ago. I know there was a post on here the other day about school finds at Target in the $1 section - I haven't been to Target in a few weeks, but I'm hoping to go check it out soon! :)

Happy Decorating!
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:44 pm

I will also give a recommendation for Target. Last week I found maps of Europe $1, US $1, and the World $4.99 there. I also found a nice globe there for 14.99.

Leah
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

3babiesmommy

Post by 3babiesmommy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:29 pm

Second the Dollar Tree. Mine had tons of cute decorating stuff!

JoyousBlessings

Post by JoyousBlessings » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I am heading to Target tomorrow to check out their $ section. : ))) That will fit my budget beautifully! :D Oh, and I will check out the Dollar store also. I never even thought about them having items for homeschool/school, but then again, I really never shop there. It ought to be a treat to find some cool items at such a low price.

Thank you!!!