What level of HOD should I start with?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
threeandone2003

What level of HOD should I start with?

Post by threeandone2003 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi - We have just decided to use HOD but I can't figure out which level to start with or what to order. My daughter is in first grade (6-years-old) but reads on a third grade level. I'm afraid if I skip up - she will miss out on some great history lessons. I really want her to start history from the beginning so she will get a good overall grasp. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks!

mamaloves4

Re: What level of HOD should I start with?

Post by mamaloves4 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi!

Welcome to HOD! We moved over to HOD last year and we had our best year yet! I am getting excited to start this year. Have you checked out the placement chart yet? I used/am using Beyond with my now 7 year old dd. We started it when she was six/first grade level. I would advise you to look at the placement chart--it is very detailed and then keep asking questions and pray about what would be best for your child. My dd7 loves Beyond---and so do I. Beyond is helping her develop many great skills besides providing her a fun way of learning--and she doesn't even know she is developing those skills, but I see it and it is so much fun and encouraging to me. I hope this helps you and keep asking questions--there is a lot of wisdom from the ladies on this board!

Jess
Jessica
married for 12 years to Chuck
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH
dd2--filling our days with joy and LHTH fingerplays and stories

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Welcome to the HOD Board - we are glad you are here! :D Jess gave some great advice already - we've used the placement chart to place each of our dc, and it's been smooth sailing. :) It's not hard to use, and it doesn't take long. :wink: Here is a link to the placement chart:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

If you pay the closest attention to the first page of the placement chart, and then share what you can with us here, we'll all chime in and help you fine-tune a great HOD placement for your dd. I also want to encourage you that HOD gives lots of different reading level choices for their guides, so you can use whichever guide fits her placement best and up the reading program as needed. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:35 pm

I have a DD who is 6 and just started first grade today. We are using Beyond and she loved it today. But definitely check out the placement chart for the best placement.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:32 am

Hi there - just checking back to see if you'd had the chance to peek at the placement chart yet. More ladies will chime in after you share your findings from the placement chart. :wink: We like to help you get your perfect HOD fit! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie