Phonics? Help please!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rni'smommy

Phonics? Help please!

Post by rni'smommy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:19 am

We are on page 14 of The Reading Lesson today and they word "a" is introduced but it does not say how to teach them that this is a different sound from a-apple. Should I teach it as a-acorn or a-like the "u" sound.

mommyofgirls

Re: Phonics? Help please!

Post by mommyofgirls » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:21 am

"u" sound like in "up" is how i've seen it explained...
Wife to my wonderful husband for 8 years
dd5 - LHFHG, Abeka phonics, Horizons math
dd3 - LHTH
dd1 - bringing me Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? and sitting in my lap :)

WigglesMom

Post by WigglesMom » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:25 am

I have heard "a" as a pronoun pronounced either as a in acorn or the "u" sound. I think I would practice reading a few sentences of a book aloud myself and see how I say it naturally and then teach it that way. I think it also is different dialect where you live and how people talk.
Val

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:20 pm

I have not used the reading lesson. I have used 100 EZ lessons and are currently using Ordinary Parent's Guide and both guides told me to just teach it to her as a sight word. It doesn't follow the "rule" for that letter sound. So I just told her when you see 'a' alone then it says "uhhh" and she has never had a problem with it.

Most everyone I have met do not actually say "a -acorn" sound when they see the word a. It is usually shortened and has some variation of "uhh" so that is what we teach.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

rni'smommy

Post by rni'smommy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks so much ladies! When I did the lesson with him I just told him that when "a" is by itself it says "uhh", I just wasn't sure I was right or if there was a rule I was supposed to be teaching. Thanks for the help.

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:53 pm

I'm chuckling because I went back and forth in my mind about the same thing! I finally decided on "uhh". It was a little confusing for my dd... after all of that short a practice, she initially read the word "a" like "ahhh"... but I kept explaining that when "a" is by itself it's the word "uhh". Oh well. :) They probably should've waited to introduce that. ;)
~8 yr old DD
~6 yr old DD
~4 yr old DS
~2 yr old DS

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:40 am

We had some similar problems because phonics varies a little with accents.We are English so our pronounciation is alittle different .
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

rni'smommy

Post by rni'smommy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:28 pm

We are having even more fun with this today, because ds keeps reading it like and "o" because I had already told him that "a" pretends to be an "o" sometimes when we were reading his name (Ricardo). Poor thing now he has to remember three different sounds for "a".

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:09 pm

In the book Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons, it teaches to say "uh" when you see the letter"a" alone. my son hasn't had a problem and is loving reading . we are on lesson 84! this is off subject but we just started doing Victory Drill and my son and i love it!
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

Geo

Post by Geo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:11 pm

rni'smommy wrote:We are having even more fun with this today, because ds keeps reading it like and "o" because I had already told him that "a" pretends to be an "o" sometimes when we were reading his name (Ricardo). Poor thing now he has to remember three different sounds for "a".
Poor thing?...nah. The letter "a" does represent three sounds. He would have needed to learn that eventually, anyway!
Geo
married forever to one man
hsing for 22 years:
6 children:
Eric (34) (not a typo)
Ian (26) leader
Lauren (24) steel magnolia
Sally (17), senior in phs
Zoe (10), administrator
Oskar (7), dead ringer for Thomas Edison