Written Narration

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
threegreatkids

Written Narration

Post by threegreatkids » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:44 am

I plan to have dd9 do written narrations once a week to go with the extension books for Bigger, as Carrie recommends.
As far as instructing her in this skill... am I correct that looking at the Day 4 History boxes in the Preparing Manual (plus the Written Narration appendix) will tell me the steps I need to teach her? I know that this is taught in Preparing, so I just want to be sure I'm covering it this year and not helping her develop bad habits.
Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

mamaloves4

Re: Written Narration

Post by mamaloves4 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:58 am

The Preparing manual does a great and thorough job of teaching kids (and moms!) how to do written narrations. I especially like how Carrie includes sentence starters ...that really helped get the written narration flowing. We also answered the questions from the day 4 box of preparing by writing them down on the white board so my dd would have a visual reminder of what we talked about. One piece of advice that I believe Julie (my3sons) gave was to keep it at the recommended number of sentences as this helps kids become more concise and include the most important stuff. My dd loves to write so this was a challenge to her, but we persevered and she got better at it towards the end of the year. As this was our first year of ever requiring her to write a 'report' I appreciated the guide guiding me as a mom/teacher along to make the learning process smooth and fairly painless for my dd.
I think if you follow the guidelines and recommendations in the Preparing manual you will do great!

Hope this helps!
jess
Jessica
married for 12 years to Chuck
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH
dd2--filling our days with joy and LHTH fingerplays and stories

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:20 am

threegreatkids wrote:I plan to have dd9 do written narrations once a week to go with the extension books for Bigger, as Carrie recommends.
As far as instructing her in this skill... am I correct that looking at the Day 4 History boxes in the Preparing Manual (plus the Written Narration appendix) will tell me the steps I need to teach her? I know that this is taught in Preparing, so I just want to be sure I'm covering it this year and not helping her develop bad habits.
We loved the way written narrations were taught in PHFHG! I can tell it's laid the groundwork for my ds to do a very nice job with his written narrations. Looking in the PHFHG will help, and so will checking out the notes in the PHFHG Appendix on written narrations (especially the editing part). The notes are very helpful! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:46 pm

threegreatkids,