Record Keeping - Notebooks, Scrapbook, etc.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mfurnell

Record Keeping - Notebooks, Scrapbook, etc.

Post by mfurnell » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:10 pm

What are your ideas on keeping a notebook for some subjects....like a copywork notebook, something to collect their artwork in, Bible verse illustrations, etc....something to file away their work in such a way that they can look back and see what they've done :D

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Record Keeping - Notebooks, Scrapbook, etc.

Post by Carrie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:02 pm

mfurnell,

I'll just move this post over to the main board, so more moms can see it! All new posts begin on the Main Board. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:14 pm

I will be doing a notebook this year with my dd, I wish I had thought of last year! I'm not real crafty so I'm keeping it simple, I bought the complete set of notebooking templates from www.Notebookingpages.com and also got the CD; the CD is great, it is very simple to navigate and the files aren't on my computer, a big plus if you ask me. My plan is to keep a folder each subject area and put completed work in them. At the end of the year I'll collect and organize everything then take it all to an office store to have it comb bound. I also bought a large art portfolio to keep my dd's artwork, it has nine pockets just enough to take her all the way to ninth grade.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

zookeeperof3monkeys

Post by zookeeperof3monkeys » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:40 am

I use the scribe system for notebooking. Here is the link http://www.thehomeschoolshop.com/index.htm If you click on articles & freebies you can see the sample pages.Right now all notebooking sets are 50% off. I have my son do a Bible page ( from Bible scribe). The first day he copies the verse into the banner, the next he draws a picture in the box, the last day or two, he writes sentences about what the verse means to him below the picture. We do that for History, Science and Reading also. It works well because he gets to draw. To encourage him I bought him watercolor crayons and oil pastels so he wants to do his best work so that he can use the fancy art supplies to illustrate. I file everything in 3 ring binders.

I hope you find what you are looking for.
Blessings,
Kim
Kim
Greensboro, NC
ds 10 Beyond
ds 2 LHTH

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:59 am

I'm pretty simple... I give each of the kids a three ring binder with a plastic front cover. They design the cover for that subject, and I keep all their notebooking in there with plastic page protectors. I keep one per subject. I also have them use printer paper and if I need lines, I just print them off. The kids enjoy looking back at what they have done, showing grandparents, and it's a great keepsake! :D

LeAnna
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

wisdom4us

Post by wisdom4us » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:01 am

We also use 3-ring binders for all 3 boys. They really enjoy having something that holds all their labors. :) I just get the big pack of 3 inch binders from Sam's club and we decorate a front cover and slip it into the sleeve. The boys keep their binders in their cubies (cubicles) and they are responsible to for getting them out each day and putting them away. A great way to teach them responsibility for their own work. They also like be able to use the 3-hole punch to put their papers in "their" notebook. For art projects, I take pictures of them if they are too big to fit into a notebook then print them out on regular paper and they put that in their notebook. Each notebook has dividers for every subject. I love having everything in one place! Oh, sometimes we put their art work in page protectors, especially anything in pencil or crayon.
~Summer
Using LHFHG & BHFHG 2008-2009
http://wisdom4us.homeschooljournal.net/

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
~William Butler Yeats

SouthernMrs

Post by SouthernMrs » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:33 pm

mfurnell wrote:What are your ideas on keeping a notebook for some subjects....like a copywork notebook, something to collect their artwork in, Bible verse illustrations, etc....something to file away their work in such a way that they can look back and see what they've done :D
Hi,
I'm late getting in on this topic, but I did want to chime in. As several of the Ladies have mentioned already, we use a 3-ring binder and I label it as my son's Memory Book (per grade). I let ds use the computer (we have a graphics program called Print Artist) and he likes to design his notebook cover each year. I just make sure his name and grade are on the front . :) At the beginning of each year, I pick up a 1-1/2 inch notebook and put some dividers in the notebook labeled: Spelling/Grammar, Storytime, Art, History/Science and math. I let my son keep any art work type pages in this notebook and we add to it daily (at least we try... sometimes it gets to be weekly). For math, I just select a few pages throughout the year to include, so he can remember what topics he's covered in that grade. His weekly spelling "test" goes in also and any grammar type copywork he's worked on go in. I also include any handwriting samples I can for him to see his progress. We have done this each year for this youngest child (he's just finished Beyond in 2nd grade) as it was a recommended idea in the Kindergarten curriculum I used with him (pre- HOD days :) ), and I wished I had done it with my older dd. Her notebooks are subject specific with HOD.
Anyway, this is what we do each year.
Charlene

Rev2Rev (8th gr. ds)
World History (11th gr. dd)
HOD Users since 2007

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:56 pm

Like most of the ladies, I use a three ring binder for my science, language arts, Memory verses, but for art I place it in one of the "Miller Pad" Picture Story book. I have my ds write a short sentence mostly taken from the Memory verse of the week on the lined paper and it makes a wonderful keep sake.
For spelling I use the ringbound Miller Spelling book and on the last day have him write his spelling words. Kind of like an unspoken test!
The poem copy work goes in another Miller book. He loves to show off his books and loves to look in them. Sometimes I do take pictures of the things we can not keep and put the pictures in the notebook.
Hope this helps.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:45 am

We do the 3-ring binders with tabs for each section, and put papers in clear sleeves. This has worked great, and we have fun looking back on what we've done! :D I do try to take at least 1 picture of each child and post it with comments on the HOD weekly check-in. I try to take pics of the active things and projects we can't "put in" the binders. This has been a great way to leave a memory trail of these things. I plan to copy them and comments and put them in a photobook at some point. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

wisdom4us

Post by wisdom4us » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:55 am

I forgot to add that this year for the first time, I am making the boys a yearbook. We take so many field trips and have so many play dates and park days with friends, that I wanted a way to keep those memories alive.

I'm currently working on our yearbook of this past school year using Shutterfly.
~Summer
Using LHFHG & BHFHG 2008-2009
http://wisdom4us.homeschooljournal.net/

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
~William Butler Yeats