HOD and Workbox Systems...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
butterfly113

HOD and Workbox Systems...

Post by butterfly113 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:24 am

Has anyone used a workbox system and incorporated it with HOD? I can see how great it would be for younger years etc... with all those manipulatives and such but I am specifically looking to use it with upper elementary grades... ie. 4th grade and using Preparing Hearts. I have been using book baskets to organize our history, science and literature books, but at times it has seemed time consuming to pull everything out on a daily basis, :oops: and we lose momentum :roll: etc inbetween subjects... Any thoughts? I usually keep the 'core' stuff on the book shelves and pull as we go... DO you think this would work at this level, and just place what's needed, books etc in each box?
How do you organize your HOD day?! I would love to hear your great ideas! :mrgreen:
Butterfly
Married to Grasshopper for 21 wonderful years.
DS14 Caterpillar - full of life!
http://joshuatreeacademy.blogspot.com

pollo_la

Re: HOD and Workbox Systems...

Post by pollo_la » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 pm

I think it would be absolutely perfect for a 4th grader!! :D Actually, I think the "ideal" ages for workboxes (if there is an ideal age) is probably somewhere in the 6-10 range. I have just started using them with my "almost 5" year old, and I know of people who use them with their 12 and 13 year olds. The author says they are even great for highschoolers!
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:48 pm

Such a neat idea. I am looking into this. Anything to appear more organized. Although HOD already keeps me organized with school.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:51 pm

I am using this for my 3rd grader doing Bigger rather independently. I am blogging my progress now and actually just posted a first draft schedule of how I'm making it work...or at least trying to! I've made just a few changes since then. There's also links in that post to files that have the numbers, timer cards, etc.

I've found that HOD is great for Workboxes b/c I can plan the week out once sicne the units are planned out so similarly each week (i.e. In Bigger, Days 1&4 and Days 2&5 and then Day 3 are the same/similar each week)....then I just fill in the specifics each evening when I reload the boxes. That general schedule is included in the post to give you an idea about what I mean.

We just did out 2nd day of workboxes today and it has worked great so far! So much smoother and everything is getting done,...even some extras! :D
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

wisdom4us

Post by wisdom4us » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:53 pm

I don't know anything about the workbox systems, I've just seen pictures of them. But what works for us is cubicles that I picked up at Target. There are 9 "cubies" all together so each of my 3 boys has 3 of his own. One for their workbook and pencils, 2nd for makers, crayons, craft things and the last one is for doodling papers that they doodled on. :) It works great! It teaches them responsibility because they have to take out and put away their own books. Oh, they also keep the book(s) in there that they are currently reading.

I agree HOD, keeps me pretty organized! Everything fits nicely on one bookshelf. :D
~Summer
Using LHFHG & BHFHG 2008-2009
http://wisdom4us.homeschooljournal.net/

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
~William Butler Yeats

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:58 pm

Does anyone use this that combines? I modified a workbox system. But it still seems jumbelled as there are books we do together and books they do that are the same, but at different times. Not sure how to make that work yet.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Mom4Him

Post by Mom4Him » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:23 pm

I've thought about doing a workbox system for our family... I have yet to buy the book & see if they have any helpful hints on large families & combining, & to see if it would really work for us... but I really like what I see & I think HOD would work rather well with the workbox systems. For HOD seems to work great with everything! :D It would seem that you could do one "box" for the guides in HOD per workbox. I've thought of making small laminated copies of the HOD guide (or just cutting it out from the catalogue) & other books that we double up on & make a "card"- this way I could put the guide or book in a special place (where children know to get it) & they can get it on their own when they see the "card" in their workbox. Or if we're all doing it together, I would place cards in each workbox along with any materials for the individual child. I've also thought about using one set of workboxes for each group that would be going through a different guide- that way materials we use together are all there in one workbox, & for each set of individual activities there would be more than one child's items in those particular workboxes (ex.- 3 handwriting books & 3 pencils). I'm not sure how this would work, but it's at least something to consider.
I'm so thankful to have found HOD & feel it is laid out so nicely!! :D I think the workbox system would help me prepare the day ahead of time, which seems to help with everything at our house (even getting everything set up for breakfast in the morning), :D and it would also help in scheduling our days.
I hope this helps- they were just some ideas I've had floating around in my head.