MamaMary -- Question about Singapore and your 7 yr. old?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hsmomof4

MamaMary -- Question about Singapore and your 7 yr. old?

Post by hsmomof4 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:18 pm

I have a 7 yr. old dd and I have her in Horizons Math 1 right now. I love the looks of Singapore but looked at the placement test and think she would place in 1B but maybe 1A. I would have to give her the test to see for sure. Is your 7 a newer 7 year old, does that make sense. Mine turned 7 in Nov. and is pretty math savvy but I think Singapore is much for analytical then Horizons.

Can you explain more about the 1A and 1B to me? I looked for samples on line but only found a page or two.

Also, I checked out your blog. Do you live in Pinellas County? We used to live in Clearwater, FL (for four years) WE LOVED IT!!!! My dh is military so now we are up north in the snow!!!!
HSMOMOF4

Wife to dh for 15 years
Mommy to four sweet babies, ages 9, 7, 5, 3 1/2
Military wife for 15 years!
Blessed by my Heavenly Father!
1 Peter 1:13-21

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:36 pm

WOW! What a small world :idea: Yes, I live in Pinellas. I've lived here my entire life. Did you belong to the PPEA when you were here?

What I love most about using singapore with HOD is Carrie's ice breakers. Honestly, I don't think I would have made the change if not for that single thing. I don't like to use big TM's where they have lots of idea's. I want someone to give me one simple assignment to do and then assign the pages.

I switched from Horizons and he is doing GREAT! We probably could have gone w/ 1B but since he's just getting used to this program I went ahead and started with 1A. This also allowed me to be on track with the TM :)
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

netpea

maybe try 1A

Post by netpea » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:21 pm

If you are just switching to Singapore Math, you probably want to back up to 1A and just go fly through it if it's easy. Singapore Math teaches things a bit differently and its helpful to get 1A in if you can.

shera

Post by shera » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:18 pm

My ds is 6 and he took the placement test. I just printed it out and read the questions to him. He scored like a 78 on the test so he almost tested in to 1b but they say if the child misses everything in one section put them in the level they are testing on. He is doing 1a. They do present things a little differently but I have heard great things about Singapore. I had tried their earlybird but I didn't like it. I do think Carrie's ice breakers help alot.

Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:28 am

MamaMary-

I also have a question about your math with the 7yr. old. My daughter is using Horizons 2 and is doing great with it. We are considering switching basically because Singapore is about 1/2 the price. We used Singapore 1A/1B last year for grade 1. What do you think about the grade levels? I hate to move her "down" if we switch, but I don't think she will place much higher than 2B, maybe even just 2A. Was that an issue for you? I do realize that Singapore is supposed to be more advanced, but I think Horizons is fairly advance learning multiplication in grade 2. Thanks for any help you can offer! :wink:

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:30 am

Please, anyone else who has suggestions chime in, too. Thanks!

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:01 pm

inHistiming wrote:MamaMary-

I also have a question about your math with the 7yr. old. My daughter is using Horizons 2 and is doing great with it. We are considering switching basically because Singapore is about 1/2 the price. We used Singapore 1A/1B last year for grade 1. What do you think about the grade levels? I hate to move her "down" if we switch, but I don't think she will place much higher than 2B, maybe even just 2A. Was that an issue for you? I do realize that Singapore is supposed to be more advanced, but I think Horizons is fairly advance learning multiplication in grade 2. Thanks for any help you can offer! :wink:
I wouldn't worry about levels. Just go with what she places in or one below. If you go one below, she can fly through it and have a feeling of mastery. 2A has 3 digit addition/subtraction and beginning multiplication and division. We are starting 2B next week, I haven't looked at it yet though.

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:03 pm

In His Timing-don't think of it as "moving down"-the Singapore placement tests are very accurate. We switched this year from another program. My 3rd grader is using 2A and my 4th grader is using 3A, because that is how they placed on the tests, and it is perfect. They are not concerned about the number on their workbooks-they are really beginning to enjoy that their math lessons are so quick-and I enjoy that they are really understanding what they are learning :D
So, if you switch, DEFINITELY have your child take the test (print it out for her from the Singapore site) and go witth that result. HTH!
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:07 pm

blessedmomof4 wrote:In His Timing-don't think of it as "moving down"-the Singapore placement tests are very accurate. We switched this year from another program. My 3rd grader is using 2A and my 4th grader is using 3A, because that is how they placed on the tests, and it is perfect. They are not concerned about the number on their workbooks-they are really beginning to enjoy that their math lessons are so quick-and I enjoy that they are really understanding what they are learning :D
So, if you switch, DEFINITELY have your child take the test (print it out for her from the Singapore site) and go witth that result. HTH!
Hsmom, I totally agree with both Lourdes and Leeann. I would do exactly what the placement testing suggests as it is very accurate. I can't wait to hear what you decide :wink:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:49 pm

hsmomof4,

Great advice from the ladies on the board on this one! :D Here is the link to the Singapore Math Placement Test if you need it:
http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Test_s/86.htm

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:18 pm

We really enjoy Singapore, and I believe their placement test is very accurate. The type of thinking Singapore teaches is advanced in mental math and reasoning. I think that wherever your child tests will be the best place to begin, and you can always go through it more quickly if you think it's a bit easy at first. It will lay a good foundation to build on, because once children understand the type of reasoning, the concepts come so much more easily.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

shera

Post by shera » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:59 pm

Another thing to realize is that in Singapore they start 1a at age 7 so the numbers are not grade levels. She really wouldn't be moving down.

Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04