Question about math - Singapore -- Are you using it?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hsmomof4

Question about math - Singapore -- Are you using it?

Post by hsmomof4 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi,

Sorry I have already posted today put I have another question. I have always used Horizon math in the past. But, I am considering using Singapore with my now 2nd grade dd.

Did you switch to the Singapore math or did you stick with your math curriculum?

If you are using Singapore what do you like about it? What do you not like? Please let me know. And if you can compare it to Horizon math, please do.

THANKS a TON!!!!
HSMOMOF4

Wife to dh for 15 years
Mommy to four sweet babies, ages 9, 7, 5, 3 1/2
Military wife for 15 years!
Blessed by my Heavenly Father!
1 Peter 1:13-21

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:08 pm

I switched my 7 year old and will use it with my 5 year old when he gets to little "hearts". I left my 11 year old alone because what he is using is working well :)
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:48 pm

I'm not certain, but I think Gina (beandip) uses Horizons? She's very helpful and I'm sure she'll see this soon!

I use RightStart and I have not had a problem at all just putting that in place of Singapore in the math box...just use one of those wonderful sticky notes! :wink:

I was thinking of switching just from hearing all the talk on this board. We've only done level A of RS, so I went ahead and printed of the placement test on the Singapore site and gave it to my kids. I was amazed at the similarities between these two programs and to my knowledge RightStart and Singapore are the only two math programs on the market based on the "asian" way of doing math. My kids aced the placement for 1A. I'm still up in the air about what to do, but my dh likes RS.

My sis-in-law gave me some MUS to try and my kids are just flying through that.

If you do switch, be sure to take the placement test. It is very accurate at placing and this program is very different.
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:10 pm

Thanks for the compliment Melanie! :D

Yes I am using Horizons K w/ my 5 y/o dd and it is going very well. I tried Singapore but it moved a little too slowly for her. She liked it, but I knew she could do more. We did the Math activities and the Singapore math at the beginning of our school year along w/ Horizons, but I don't do them anymore. Horizons moves at a quick pace and it was getting to be too much for us. I am planning on using Horizons for 1st grade as well when we do Beyond. It is a good fit for my dd so I am going to stick w/ it. HTH!

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

netpea

we use singapore

Post by netpea » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:28 pm

We use Singapore and I am very pleased with it. My son does most of his figuring in his head which I love. I've never used any other program so I can't compare them but as a math minded person, I think Singapore is great.

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:00 pm

I'm using Primary 2A with my 8 yo and 3A with my just turned 10 year old. I love the activities in the Bigger manual for Singapore 2-it really gets my daughter thinking and helps her to be ready for her assigned pages.
At first, I thought 3a wasn't working out for my older daughter. In fact, I had already ordered the next level of what she used to use (which I was hesitant to go back to because it has long lessons, but was willing to change back if it would help), and while I waited for it to arrive, something funny happened-all of a sudden, she started to get it! She started flying through her pages and doing really well! I think the real problem was understanding division, not the curriculum. Seems like the :idea: light bulb came on, and now she is perfectly happy with her brief lessons (so am I :D )
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 pm

We just started with Singapore for my little ones. I have one on Earlybird 1B and the other on 2B(I think she will blow through this though and start on Primary 1A). I have R&S for the upper grades on my shelf. It works great for my kids that I pulled out of ps. My thought is that my youngest two are a little different in that they will never be in ps so I wanted to get in some of the thinking math. We plan on seeing how it goes in the future. I may let them do Sinagapore and use R&S for extra drill because I have it. On the flip side I do use the Intensive practice here and there for my kids that do R&S on the 3, 5 level. For 6th I will be switching all but maybe one to Saxon.

All those words to say my two youngest love Singapore! It's a thinking math and I want that for them. It matters in math I think.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:28 pm

We're using Singapore and have pretty much used it the whole way through so far (my oldest is currently in Bigger...). I like the hands-on math activities in HOD's guides because they link so well. As far as Singapore itself, here's a short list of what comes to mind:
*it's strong on mental math
*has unusual ways of teaching skills that seem to really "stick" with my dc
*uses things I have on hand or can easily sub in for (in the younger levels)
*it's short and to the point; if my sons can show me in 10 problems they get the skill, why do 50 problems? I am a firm believer in this, after tutoring math for many years prior to homeschooling and having older children that had grown to hate math
*it teaches difficult skills in a simple way
*the layout of the pages is "clean" and not crowded or overwhelming
*no need to copy problems onto notebook paper, which is often where needless mistakes happen
Those are just a few that come to mind. I look at it carefully year by year to determine if it's still a good fit, but so far, it really is. With that being said, if your heart is leading to another math program, HOD makes it easy to sub it in. HTH
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie