Please tell me you DON'T do this with the Rhymes and Motions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Re: Please tell me you DON'T do this with the Rhymes and Motions

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:52 pm

Kathleen wrote:Never fear, Julie! :D One enthusiastic rhyme participant checking in! :D

We had a great time twisting 'n turning 'n touching our toes in the T-T-T rhyme. Garret was thrilled to learn how to spin super-fast on one foot. :lol:

It is amazing how kids pick up and mimick our attitudes towards things. We live outside of a town with A LOT of railroad traffic. And, there wasn't a way around, over, or under the tracks. We waited on trains MOST of our trips to town. So, we never knew if it would take us 15 min to get to church...or 40 min to get to church! :shock: (We are incredibly thankful for the new overpass now!!!) When Grant was about 2 we were in IA visiting family, and we came upon a train crossing the road. Another little boy we were with was saying, "Wow! Cool! Look at that train!" Grant looked up in the air and said, "Oh, man! Not again! Now we're gonna be late." Hmmm, wonder why he didn't respond like the other little boy. :roll: :lol:

I proudly move and grove with the little guys, and jumping jack, sit-up, arm circle, toe-touch, run in place, and push-up with Grant. (You may want to ease into the push-ups though. Warning from experience. :shock: )

:D Kathleen
That's awesome, Kathleen! :lol: :D :D :D Oh, and I agree with you on the push-ups - YEEEOUCH! I had to work up to 5! :lol:

In Christ ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:00 pm

annaz wrote: Kathleen you're a hoot! :lol: :D :lol:
(I have to pee before starting the jumping jacks!) :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You're not alone in that, annaz!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:46 pm

Oh, ladies! I have little tears running down my face from laughing so hard at this thread. I can just picture a whole roomful of mommas with exhuberant faces, jumping and hopping around, and doing calisthenics! I even break a sweat when doing the rhymes with my kiddos! This is a good reminder to me that I AM out of shape and am definitely 40! :wink:

By the way, the gross motor skills that are the actual point of the rhymes in motion in LHFHG are SO GOOD for the kiddos to work through. The gross motor skills that are emphasized within the rhymes teach left/right coordination between sides of the body and require integration between the right and left side of the brain. This in turn results in better coordination and strengthens left to right tracking skills needed for writing and reading. So, there is an actual method behind the madness. Enjoy!

Blessings,
Carrie

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:52 pm

Well, let me be the naysayer. I am not bashing rhymes in motion because obviously they are a great part of the program if your child likes that. I did LHTH for a couple of months and then in January we started LHFHG. I was guilty of not enjoying the rhymes in LHTH (though at first I did) and my daughter didn't either so we stopped doing them. But I promised to do the rhymes in a fun way in LHFHG and it started off great but after awhile my daughters enthusiasm for them waned. She wasn't getting into them as much. I did the motions and acted goofy with her but she started getting weird and I thought it odd that I was the only one doing the motions but I left it alone. I kept trying. We are now on week 9- remember until a week ago we were doing this at half speed so we have been doing this since January. One day before school started I just asked her what she thought of LHFHG and she smiled big and said she really liked it, but then she sobered up and said she didn't like the rhymes part. I asked her why not (mind you I was keeping an open mind) and she said that it wasn't fun.

I have tried. I did the motions, I laughed and acted silly. I sang the songs (and I can sing so that helps) but she is not that kind of learner. It is fun in the beginning because it is new but when she realizes she is going to be doing that every time, the newness wears off and she doesn't like it. Frankly she is a much better visual learner than a kinesthetic learner. We do love the rest of LHFHG but rhymes in motion just will not work for Emma. That is just her and obviously, reading every else's responses- she is an odd duck. But that is ok. She writes well and is an avid reader already so I am not worried about the integration so much.

Glad it is working well for everyone else. :D
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:42 pm

Jessi,

Your little one isn't an odd duck, she's pretty much like most kiddos out there. :D I agree that when the new wears off is when the "rubber really meets the road". My kiddos are each different from one another. My first son was all boy and loved (and still does love) all things with movement and motion. He's incredibly social and loves to dig in and play with the little ones. My second son loves to sit and create for hours and would rather have as little physical activity as possible. He craves time alone, but also craves my attention. My third little guy is a bit of a combination of the previous two, and my fourth one is still developing his personality. :lol:

I share this to let you know that even though my boys learning styles are very different from one another, I've found it really important to stretch my boys in their less comfortable areas so that they learn to function outside of their primary learning styles. This helps them adapt better to so many situations that they find themselves in as they grow up. So, while my boys all have different parts of their day that they love the most, they know that I require them to participate in all areas cheerfully. :D

As a parent, we want our kiddos to love every part of their school day. One pattern that's easy to fall into when doing that is to try keep everything "new and fresh" all of the time. Yet, it's tough to keep up with getting that new feeling all of the time in the long haul, short of changing curriculums every few months. :wink:

Your little sweetie is young and you may not feel like the Rhymes in Motion are important for her to have, and being the parent you can easily decide to skip that part. However, even though the rhymes in motion feel skippable, it's important to look at the big picture and see the trend that's being set up by allowing them to opt out rather than do what is being asked.

My time spent reading Charlotte Mason's views on habit training have made a huge impact on how I view the tasks I now require of my kiddos. I discovered that it is not so much about the task itself as it is about the habit that is being formed by doing the task cheerfully and without question. This is because kiddos can't differentiate (like we can) between which tasks are important and which tasks are less important. They just learn that if they can opt out of something when it isn't new and fun anymore, than they can do that anytime the newness wears off. I'd liken it to trying to stay in the honeymoon phase forever. If we were always on the honeymoon, we'd miss out on the joy that comes from working on a marriage! :D

Anyway, while I realize you know your daughter best and are in the best position to decide what you desire for her to do (which may very well include skipping the rhymes in motion), this is just something I've learned from years of teaching that might be worthwhile to ponder along the way. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:19 pm

Carrie I completely understand what you are saying about being cheerful in her work and stretching her in areas she isn't comfortable with. There are certain things I won't budge on (Math, phonics, handwriting, skills, history, Bible, and reading). She knows not to even test me in these areas, even though I know there are days she'd rather not do one or more. I have laid down guidelines. It is working and she truly loves doing school. I know she is young but my thought is at 5, most kids would love the rhymes in motion, but she does not. That speaks volumes to me. After LHTH we worked on character issues before starting LHFHG and she doesn't complain or whine about school. In fact, unless I had asked her what she thought about LHFHG, I doubt she'd have said anything at all in regards to Rhymes. She was trying whenever we started a new one but by the end of the second week she would say it but not do it. She truly loves LHFHG and is respectful about what I require. I'd rather nix the one thing in the curriculum that isn't working for her and LOVE the rest, than keep it all and a resentment build up over having to do it that may bleed into other areas of school and life. I have sat down and figured out what I expect from her in school and the list above is a must. The rest is icing on the cake for me this year. I present it and see where it goes or doesn't go in this case.

And she asked me if she could start doing full days instead of half days because she enjoys doing it. :mrgreen: So LHFHG is working for us- our way. YAY!

Edited to add: Is it possible to do rhymes in motion without doing the motions in the book? I know this is weird but she does well with the Bible memory when SHE is the one coming up with movements. What if I read it and she could figure out movements or we could sit and clap the rhythm while I read? I am willing to try something like that but I know that rhymes in motion 'as is' in the book aren't working for her. Any other ideas for doing them? I think the words are great for memory but the motions aren't doing the job. Is it ok to do our own thing with the rhymes in motion? Help me out here ladies!
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,

erdrmom

Post by erdrmom » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:31 pm

Well, we are a bit of a combo here! We don't make a big deal of the LHTH stuff, because my ds would rather do the rhymes from LHFHG with his big sister. She loves both of them. We use them to "take a break" from our more serious stuff. We all do it together on the first day of the unit. On the second day, I will have to remind them of a few of the motions and from then on, they've got it and go crazy! I usually only participate on day 1, and sit it out the rest of the week. :wink: But, we usually do the rhymes and the music selection back to back. My dd loves to dance with her stuffed animals, so I put the music on repeat and take the opportunity to gather the needed things for the rest of the school day. We have a blast doing the motions and every other week or so, we have to go back and do the rhyme from week 1...by far their favorite! They love pretending to be all of the animals! :D
Blessings,

Cindi
Loved teaching and learning through LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, & DITHOR
Planning for the upcoming year with DD10 in CTC half-pace and DS7 in BHFHG half-pace

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 am

I can't say that I do the motions evertime, but if my daughter isn't enjoying that weeks rhyme and motion I get up and do it with her. She really likes most of them, the more involved, physically, the better. She has shamed me into doing some of the rhymes, while at church, in front of everyone else. :wink: I see that next year (Beyond) there will be some more exercise involved with the Bible Study portion, I KNOW I will have to get down and show her, by example what is expected. Sit-ups and push-ups here I come!! :lol:
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:42 am

Jess, your DD is not an odd duck. It seems to be something little girls go through. My DD also went through this phase. Here is a quote from a previous post I made about this same thing:
As far as the dramatic play, she tells me it's too silly and embarrassing and will sit and watch her little brother do them. By the way, it's not only the dramatic play, it's a lot of other outside activities I suggest too. She seems to be very self-conscious at the moment, very aware of how she might look to others. So sure I could make her do them, but I'm not sure I want that battle with my little girl. I'm guessing that somewhere along the way, a friend must have told her she was acting silly or babyish, because she suddenly became aware of herself more.

I thought that DS and I having fun would make her jump in and enjoy, but it's been 2 months and still nothing. She's at least consistent. We were finishing unit 15 until we jumped up a few units today so we certainly gave the rhymes and dramatic play a fair shot. But everyday it was the same reaction.
Her: "Please Mom don't make me do the rhyme."
Me: "Why not?"
Her: "Because I hate feeling silly like that. It's too embarrassing."
Me: "It's just you, me and your brother. Who cares if we're having fun?"
Which was always answered with a please don't make me feel silly response.
Little girls. Go figure.
I will say that we set LHFHG aside for awhile and did other small unit studies or lapbooks. When we picked it back up, DD was willing to do the rhyme on the first day or two of the unit. So It may just be a phase she is going through.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

SoaringEagle

Post by SoaringEagle » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:29 am

I actually was the only one doing the rhymes and motions. My daughter was looking at me funny... I was having fun though. Hopefully this coming Fall my daughter will be more interested in joining me.
~Juli~
Wife to P
Mommy to dd Froggie - age 7 - BLHFHG - August '10
ds Hot Wheels - age 4 - LHTH - August '10

http://soaringeagle91.blogspot.com/

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:21 am

Ok I admit when we do the rhymes we love doing them but we don't do them every day...
And some of the stuff feels truly goofy so I replace it with sign language... or let her do some motion she comes up with.
but when we do it we do sure laugh, I just make sure the curtains are closed incase the mail man comes.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:01 am

It never even occurred to me not to do this with them. Than I have to say, I love to dance and move. I have had to either explain or change some things while I was pregnant. Rolling in a ball does not work well from my end 2nd trimester:-) on.
All my children are included with the Finger Plays and Rhymes. The older one is sometimes my helper and the little ones eat it up! On days that they just stare at me, I just beckon them to help me:-).
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:25 pm

Crystal nice to know my daughter isn't the only one reacting that way. I didn't want to say anything until I saw this post. I thought we were weird. :roll: Well, we are, but that is a whole other topic. :D But I don't think my daughter is self-conscious. She is the kind of girl who will wear a tutu, high heels, and tons of jewelry to the video store to rent a movie- acting for all the world like a queen. She is just different.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:34 pm

Jessi,
Sounds a lot like my daughter. She loves to dress up and be pretty (even if it's only pretty in her own mind), but don't ask her to be silly. Hopefully, she'll learn to loosen up like my daughter did. Now Katie can be silly and pretty. :wink: All I'm saying is to let it go for now, but then try one of the less "silly" ones later on, she may enjoy a few later. I also find that she's willing to do the rhyme and motions just once a week.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Julie I could be laying on the couch in jamies telling them to do rhymes in motion and they would still be excited. :shock: It does not matter what I do they love them. My only problem is getting it to be over because they always want to do it over and over again. But we have no problems with a mom that does not know how to be silly here at our house. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)