Would the program work without the Bible?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
4in4years

Would the program work without the Bible?

Post by 4in4years » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:08 pm

Greetings!

I have two kids that would be in two different programs, Beyond and Preparing. I also have a bible program that the entire family (dad too!) participates in and enjoys.

Would the HOD programs make sense if the bible portion was dropped?

Do you need more information? I searched the forums for "Bible Study". There were too many hits for any returns.

Any thought and suggestions about the bible portion would be appreciated.

Thanks,
4in4

funkmomma71

Re: Would the program work without the Bible?

Post by funkmomma71 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:18 pm

The bible is woven throughout the programs, though there is separate bible study/memorization that I guess could be dropped. It doesn't take a lot of time to do the bible portions of the program and they help to show God's hand throughout history and in science. I'm sure you could figure what you wanted to use and what you could set aside. Best wishes.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:39 am

The first year we did Beyond, I did not start the year using Bible, because we had other Bible. I didn't even look at it. Then, around Christmas time, I noticed how it went right with the history and I started using it. It went very quickly and it was so good! Especially day 5s. So yes you can do it with out it and you don't lose anything. But if you can add it in, it doesn't take long and it is so good.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:00 am

You could go and not use the bible parts but it is interwoven into the history. It was when we did Bigger last spring/summer. It helped DD make some sense to some stuff. I too have a seperate bible study that DD and I do once or twice a week, once we start it. I am waiting for when Sunday School is over to start. We stop next month.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:10 am

We use a different Bible program (CLE) as well, but looking over the Bible for the two HOD programs I am using, I plan to still do it in addition to what we do separately. :) It is quick and easy and you just can't get "too much" Bible IMO.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

mn_kids

Post by mn_kids » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:29 am

We do a separate Bible program as a family too but find it very easy to implement HOD Bible too. There are some real nuggets in there I didn't want to miss :D

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:40 am

I will have to agree with the other ladies. The bible could be left out. But it does help dc apply what they are learning in history and science and how it applies to the choices they will be faced with in life. It doesn't add much time to the day so I would recommend keeping it (at least trying it) We do our own bible study too...
Hope this helps
Last edited by mskogen on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:05 pm

We also do our own family Bible devotion, but like the other HOD Mom's I love the bible part in HOD as well, the fact that it is interwoven with History and Science and in Beyond and Bigger how it wraps up the week. It is quickly done and the kiddo's learn so much biblical truth, practical application through the questions that Carrie asks. Often times the Lord uses it right with situations in your household. Even sharing the Memory Verse has been so great and it has truly ministered to some of the people we have sent it to. And you can never have too much bible teaching :D
Success!
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:57 pm

Another family here that has our family devotion time...but LOVES HOD Bible. It's one of those parts of the day that is too good to pass up. HOD has Bible woven into all the different parts of the day, but like the other posters, I just love the simple yet profound truths that we discuss in the Bible portion of the plans. If you skip it, you can still easily do the other portions of HOD. But, it sure isn't anything time-consuming or tedious, so if I were you I'd give it a shot before skipping it.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

4in4years

Post by 4in4years » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:19 am

Thank you so much for your thoughts and gentle encouragement.
4in4

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:18 am

We are also another family that does more Bible and still uses the Bible box in HOD. We read through the Bible chronologically and study kind of as we feel directed. And my kids do CLE Bible (because it reinforces our chronological reading and gives them something written to research on their own) on their own before we even start school. Then my husband does a devotional with the girls and the boys separately at night (sometimes I take the girls as well). I have a different way of thinking about it that hit me one day when I was trying to figure out how would I coordinate all this Bible. I decided I would look at Bible as life training and also as forming the habit of daily study and devotion. So in that I do not count the "extra" stuff that is Bible related as school at all. It is just part of our life. So we continue with it when we are on break and vacation as well as much as possible. That allows us to get more of it in easier and it gives my kids a better attitude about it as well. What I love about HOD is that it really does have enough flexibility and is not so time consuming that you can't add extra things that really matter to your family. Praying you find the best way for you. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:24 am

I have a question what is CLE? I have been able to figure out all the other ones but this one, thanks
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:08 am

Christian Light Education. You can read up on it at their website http://www.clpcle.com/cle.html. or on Annabaptist website :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:23 am

Oh I am sorry about that and actually I did not mean CLE I meant CLP which is Christian Liberty Press. :oops: I have CLE on the mind because we are using their math for my older kids. The chronological work book study they do is called Studying God's Word. From book D on they are chronological. I do not pay attention to grade level on this but they do get harder as they go up in letter. Sorry to be so confusing and even wrong after I was confusing, hahaha!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)