Question on Preparing?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mn_kids

Question on Preparing?

Post by mn_kids » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:51 pm

I am currently using Bigger Hearts and really like it, but am looking toward next year and using Preparing. Do I need to get the self study packages too? I'm not worried about the money portion but my boys love to take off and do their own researching and studying in what they are interested in and I want to leave them plenty of time to do that. Will they miss out on a lot without it? Thanks so much!!

my3sons

Re: Question on Preparing?

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:22 pm

I would still definitely get the Self-Study package. It links to Draw and Write Through History (which everyone has given a huge NOD to here on this board :lol: ), and it has the neatest notebooking to do with it. We are in the last month of PHFHG, and my ds has loved the Independent History box of the plans, which uses the Self-Study materials. This box has taught so many independent skills, and as I am looking at doing Creation to Christ next year (and getting very excited :D ), I can see that the skills learned in PHFHG in that box will really help my ds do the Notebooking pages in CTC independently. PHFHG only took us about 4 hours a day to do, once we hit our stride, so your dc will have plenty of free time to explore their interests. I also think that the independent history just gets their creative ideas flowing, and provides a soundboard for other creative ideas during free time. Please don't skip it if money is not the issue - it is a great part of the plans! :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie