Switching to HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ccmom

Switching to HOD

Post by ccmom » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:58 am

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself and get some direction to see if I'm making the best choice for next year. We are currently using Sonlight Core 2 and have enjoyed it, but I like how HOD does a better job of integrating Bible into each subject and adds the CM style language arts. I am also looking forward to DITHOR for my older students.

We have 4 children. Our twin girls will be 9 in 2 weeks, finishing 3rd grade, one son just turned 6 and is finishing K, and another son was 4 in November and just joins us for Bible, devotions and read aloud time.

I would like for my girls to use Preparing for next year along with DITHOR, but I'm not sure which level to put them on. Twin A is finishing up Sonlight's advanced 2 reader package, Twin B just finished 2 inter and started 2 adv. Twin A isn't so much a stronger reader, she just enjoys it more and goes through books faster. Should I put them in the level 3 together or 4 together or have one do level 3 and the other level 4?

Also, I was thinking of having both boys in LHFHG. DS4 will be 5 in early November, is that too young? DS6 is finishing up Earlybird 2B now, I would move him to Primary 1A/1B and start the little one in Earlybird. DS6 is reading well, but I haven't even started phonics with DS4, so maybe one of the phonics programs (RME) to strengthen one and start the other?

Thanks for letting me think out loud here and for any feedback you have that may make this work better for us. We are looking forward to getting started!

Dawn

eazbnsmom

Re: Switching to HOD

Post by eazbnsmom » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:41 am

Hi Dawn,

Welcome!!!! I am not that familiar with Sonlight so can't help you with the older ones. I think LHFHG would work well for your K & 1st grader using their level math & phonic/emergent reader books. I did that this year and it worked out rather nicely. :D
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:07 am

Maybe try looking at the Sonlight catalog under the reader section and see what grade the readers are where each is reading best. I know some of the SL readers in 2I and 2A are higher than just 2, like 3 or 4 instead. I'd probably keep them together myself, just for simplisity.
7 awesome kids!

3 graduated
4 at home this fall
DD6 Beyond
DS10 Preparing
DS13 MTMM
DS16 online high school

mamaloves4

Post by mamaloves4 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi,

I chose to use Preparing with our oldest daughter and we used DITHOR as well this year. I chose to do the level 2/3 student book and level 3 book package. My daughter is a strong reader, above her age level and zooms through books so it was a little difficult to put her in the level 2/3 student book--I am surrounded by ps families so I often get tugged into 'grade' level!! However....I am very glad I put her in that level. In fact the guide suggests putting students in that level if they have not used it before just to get accustomed to the style of teaching. I haven't felt like things were too easy for her--the discussions were great and she was till required to 'think'.

I hope this helps and have fun deciding!!

jess
Jessica
married for 12 years to Chuck
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH
dd2--filling our days with joy and LHTH fingerplays and stories

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:06 pm

ccmom,

I just wanted to pop-in and welcome you to the board. I agree that LHFHG sounds like a good fit for your K/1st graders, utilizing the K/1st grade options. You will want a phonics program of some sort for your 5 year old and may want to take a look at Reading Made Easy or The Reading Lesson. :D

For your 9 year old twins, I would most likely lean toward placing both of them in DITHR Level 2/3, and then for ease-of-use add one of the Book Packs (most likely Level 3). :D

I'm sure more ladies will be along with advice! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:10 pm

Carrie wrote:ccmom,

I just wanted to pop-in and welcome you to the board. I agree that LHFHG sounds like a good fit for your K/1st graders, utilizing the K/1st grade options. You will want a phonics program of some sort for your 5 year old and may want to take a look at Reading Made Easy or The Reading Lesson. :D

For your 9 year old twins, I would most likely lean toward placing both of them in DITHR Level 2/3, and then for ease-of-use add one of the Book Packs (most likely Level 3). :D

I'm sure more ladies will be along with advice! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie
cc mom - Welcome to the HOD board! I was going to say exactly the same thing here, so I'll just quote it. :D We did PHFHG along with DITHOR, and LHFHG along with phonics this year, and both of our dc have had a great year. I loved having the 1 year overview of LHFHG and then also with PHFHG. They were separate, but often "listened in" on each other's read alouds, which made for an extra book-filled year for them. Both programs were wonderful. I think you'll enjoy this combination so much.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie