Phonics or no phonics?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
busybee4

Phonics or no phonics?

Post by busybee4 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:17 pm

My dd 7 has just finished up her 1st grade year w/Abeka phonics. She's made unbelievable steps in reading and is gobbling up anything that she can get her hands on. She read from the Magic School Bus yesterday and at first I was going to tell her to get another book because I didn't think that she could do it but she did GREAT!!! I only had to help her with a couple of words. Yes, I am VERY proud of her because at the beginning of the year she was a very reluctant reader!!!
That being said I am wanting to take a more "relaxed" approach to homeschooling including phonics and math. I am wondering if I should still continue with formal phonics instruction or just do the emerging reader schedule that is in Beyond which she will be in this coming year. Her spelling is not at all up to the level of her reading so that is a concern for me but I just want to make our days enjoyable and she so does not enjoy the technical side of learning to read but has developed a love for actually reading.
Is there anyone else that has done this? I really want to make our days relaxed and enjoyable but I don't want to risk her education either so I'm trying to weigh all of the odds here. Any advice you can give will help greatly!!
I will be referring to Ruth Beechick's three R's books if I do go ahead with this plan so that I'm not flying blind either!!
Thanks in advance for your help!
Krissy, wife to a great man for 10 years and busy Mom to
dd '02 (BLHFHG)
dd '03 (BLHFHG)
ds '05
dd '08 watching it all happen...but not doing it very quietly!!
http://www.rubyslippersschool.com

moedertje

Re: Phonics or no phonics?

Post by moedertje » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:44 pm

I also did Abeka Phonics, 1st grade with my ds this year who is 6. He started reading the Emergent Reader Books, but I was planning on doing 2nd grade Phonics to round up everything. I agree that it is a lot of work and with next one I will try RME, especially now that they have the workbooks. To be more relaxed.
I am interested in seeing what anyone else there take is on this.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:03 am

Well, ladies, congrats - you both have 2 great readers in the house! :D I'd say stop the phonics and start the Emerging Reader's Set. Certainly if your dc can pick up a Magic Tree House book and read it with only a few mistakes, they are ready for the emerging readers. The Emerging Reader's Set is FUN to do, and they are not reading a lot of pages each day - only like 3-5, so they feel very proud and confident that they are reading "real books" (as my ds says :wink: ). We are in the middle of the set now, and it is one of my ds's favorite times of the day to cuddle up and read to me from these books. The spelling in Beyond is wonderful - especially with the way the lessons go in the LA box - and you can start with list one. I think that will be enough, but if you are still wanting to do some more phonics, I'd just get Explode the Code Books 1-3 or so. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

busybee4

Post by busybee4 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:46 am

moedertje wrote:I also did Abeka Phonics, 1st grade with my ds this year who is 6. He started reading the Emergent Reader Books, but I was planning on doing 2nd grade Phonics to round up everything. I agree that it is a lot of work and with next one I will try RME, especially now that they have the workbooks. To be more relaxed.
I am interested in seeing what anyone else there take is on this.
I had actually purchased the 2nd grade phonics but am just so torn about more "technicality" versus enjoyment!! I also am going to try RME with my next one...love the workbook idea too but I wasn't sure about continuing with formal instructions. I have, however, noticed a difference in her already since stopping the phonics and just having her read! She is not so afraid of it and is enjoying it!!
dd '02 (BLHFHG)
dd '03 (BLHFHG)
ds '05

busybee4

Post by busybee4 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:48 am

my3sons wrote: The Emerging Reader's Set is FUN to do, and they are not reading a lot of pages each day - only like 3-5, so they feel very proud and confident that they are reading "real books" (as my ds says :wink: ).:D

In Christ,
Julie

This is what I want!!! Enjoyment, pride and confidence in her reading ability!!! Thanks for your advice Julie!!! I think I just might dive right in to the emergent readers!!!
dd '02 (BLHFHG)
dd '03 (BLHFHG)
ds '05

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:44 am

busybee4 wrote:
my3sons wrote: The Emerging Reader's Set is FUN to do, and they are not reading a lot of pages each day - only like 3-5, so they feel very proud and confident that they are reading "real books" (as my ds says :wink: ).:D

In Christ,
Julie

This is what I want!!! Enjoyment, pride and confidence in her reading ability!!! Thanks for your advice Julie!!! I think I just might dive right in to the emergent readers!!!

Super - dive away, and let us know how it goes after you're in it for a bit! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

momto3girls

Post by momto3girls » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:00 pm

Thank you for asking this question, Krissy! Are you peeking in my windows? :wink: :D I am finishing 1st grade Abeka phonics with my 7 year old also. I looked at the 2nd grade Abeka program at one of their open houses and had the same reaction as you. AND, she blew me out of the water today by reading several pages of Magic Tree House, also. :lol: :lol:

We are doing Bigger next year and now I am excited about using the Emerging readers. I was feeling as though I was short changing her. But I'm excited now that Julie has answered your asked and my unasked question.
~~Jenny~~
Wife to Andrew for 21 years
Mom to...

dd15 - HOD next year :-)
dd13 - Res. to Ref.
dd9 - Preparing

busybee4

Post by busybee4 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:03 am

[quote="momto3girls"]Thank you for asking this question, Krissy! Are you peeking in my windows? :wink: :D quote]

Maybe I am.... 8)
But really, it's reassuring to know that there are more moms out there trying to decide between the two as well. I do know that the Phonics for A beka 2 is really just a review of all that they've learned up to that point and for that reason I was wondering if I should stick with it for one more year but then I thought, "wouldn't she get enough practice with actually reading? So that is why I came to these choices.
I'm glad that there are others that were helped by this thread as well!! I guess it's just another successful day in discussion board-ville! :wink:
dd '02 (BLHFHG)
dd '03 (BLHFHG)
ds '05

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:05 am

The ABeka 2 phonics is review that is why I do it. I don't stress over the lessons part though. I pretty much do the workbook pages, with little as possible explantion. I feel at this point they should be able to the pages independently. If they can't then I know where a weak area lies. It doesn't add much time to our day. I did this with my first ds and will do the same with 2nd ds as soon as he finishes Abeka 1 phonics next month. I will also do the Emergent reader program at this point. My 2 cents and plan

Blessings,
Michelle
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

busybee4

Post by busybee4 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:03 pm

hadn't thought about that...hmmmmm...
dd '02 (BLHFHG)
dd '03 (BLHFHG)
ds '05

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:55 pm

I think I may do the A Beka 2nd grade Phonics as a review as Mskogen mentioned, someone gave it to me the workbooks, but without doing the Teacher manual. Since my ds will officially be in 1st grade next year, it will help cement things in. I will continue the Emergent Reader now and when we finish, I guess I will have to do the extra list of books that is in the back of Beyond under the Emergent Books. Than the next year do DITHOR or whenever I feel he is ready. I have learned that it's o.k. to start mid year especially since we school year-round.

Thank you ladies for your wise words.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.