Question about R&S English 2...writing the answers

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tiffanieh

Question about R&S English 2...writing the answers

Post by tiffanieh » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:35 pm

I was just curious what you all did for R&S 2 English. Do you do it orally with your child? Do you allow them to just mark in the textbook? Do you have them write the answer on a piece of paper that is numbered??
Tiffanie
http://www.thehagefamily.blogspot.com
Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, 1/2 of BHFHG and now doing PHFHG
Mommy to Ethan (10) and Ashton (9)

FiveLittlePeaches

Re: Question about R&S English 2...writing the answers

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:00 pm

To answer your question, we follow the instructions in the book pretty much to a "T". We do the lessons together, then I explain the assignment. I bought a separate notebook for her to write out all her answers. It really doesn't require that much writing.

That is what we do. Hope that helps.

Joy
Using LHFHG with my 5, 6 and 7 year old and lovin' it!

tiffanieh

Post by tiffanieh » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:07 pm

Thanks Joy...

Also, we will be doing BLHFHG next year and I think my 7, almost 8 year old (even though he's only in 2nd grade) will be ready for this. Is it necessary to get the Bigger guide in order to do this, or do I just do one lesson per day, or is it just a couple per week?
Tiffanie
http://www.thehagefamily.blogspot.com
Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, 1/2 of BHFHG and now doing PHFHG
Mommy to Ethan (10) and Ashton (9)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:03 pm

Tiffanie,

I lightened the writing for my son when we started. I still had him write some of it, but sometimes less than it suggested. I'm thinking that I usually didn't have him write more than 5 sentences if the directions were asking for sentences. Or 10 one-word answers if that's what it called for. I also found that letting my son write his English answers on a little white board had a huge effect on how much he liked doing it! :lol: The quality of the work and his attitude about it both improved dramatically when we tried this.

It's pretty much just a lesson a day for R&S. Somtimes they schedule the poem at the end of a unit, sometimes not. But, you should be just fine doing a lesson a day.

Oh, on the review lessons, I have my son do a few from each section written, and the bulk of all those sections orally. This way he gets to write some from each different type of question.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

wisdom4us

Post by wisdom4us » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:18 pm

We pretty much do it all orally. Occasionally, I'll have my son write some of his answers but like another poster wrote, no more than 5 sentences. I asked this question early on too and it really just depends on your child and how much writing you feel he/she should do. In the front of the Bigger manual, Carrie has recommendations in there on how to do the lessons. I didn't realize that until I posted my question on here then I found my answer in the book. :roll: I'll learn to read the manuals one day! :lol: I never read manuals for anything.
~Summer
Using LHFHG & BHFHG 2008-2009
http://wisdom4us.homeschooljournal.net/

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
~William Butler Yeats

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:06 am

I think there is quite a bit of writing if you have them do it all written...but I think it's important that they write some so they are using the newly learned concepts in context. So, I teach the lesson, I do a couple from each section orally and/or on the white board, have her do 1-2 on the board, then have her do some in her R&S notebook.

If there is a lot, I let her do more on the white board and a few written in the notebook. The white board is like an attitude adjuster! LOL It just makes all school work interesting.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling