Question on DITHOR and Bigger w/ Ext for next year...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mansmom

Question on DITHOR and Bigger w/ Ext for next year...

Post by mansmom » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Hello ladies...in looking ahead to next year...I have 2 questions (for now!!)...

Number 1....We will begin using DITHOR with then dd9 and dd7....dd9 has never done DITHOR but I was thinking of still starting her in the 2/3 book...does this sound right? She does not "appreciate" too much of a challenge if you know what I mean. Second part...if they are both in book 2/3...is this a consumable book and I need 2 or is it something I copy...I can't find that information anywhere??

Number 2....with my dd9 and dd7 both doing Bigger together....I wanted to add some to dd9...she LOVES history and science...but also not always my most eager "worker"...so I was thinking of just adding A Child's Story of America and Exploring Planet Earth...instead of the entire extension package...has anyone ever done this with success....it looked like those two books are scheduled almost throughout. And I figured, as the year went on and she became more confident in her independence...I can always add in some of the other books for the ext package? Thoughts on this ladies is very welcomed....I really feel like this is a good decision for her...but kind of feel like I'm going on a limb....

Okay...I think that's it for now....
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Question on DITHOR and Bigger w/ Ext for next year...

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:47 pm

mansmom,

I think your plan to use DITHR Level 2/3 sounds just right to ease your little sweetie into DITHR. :wink:

I also think your plan to use only those portions of the Extension Package sounds good as well. You are so right that it is easier to add on as the year progresses and the kiddos settle into their schedule, then it is to take away when it seems like it was too much. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Joy,

Your daughters will both need to write in the student book for DITHOR, and it's consumable, but you are allowed by HOD to copy it for use within your family. So you could get one or 2 (depending on how easy it is for you to get copies). You're going to have a great year with Bigger and DITHOR! :D We are having so much fun with it all this year!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:58 pm

mansmom wrote:Hello ladies...in looking ahead to next year...I have 2 questions (for now!!)...

Number 1....We will begin using DITHOR with then dd9 and dd7....dd9 has never done DITHOR but I was thinking of still starting her in the 2/3 book...does this sound right? She does not "appreciate" too much of a challenge if you know what I mean. Second part...if they are both in book 2/3...is this a consumable book and I need 2 or is it something I copy...I can't find that information anywhere??

Number 2....with my dd9 and dd7 both doing Bigger together....I wanted to add some to dd9...she LOVES history and science...but also not always my most eager "worker"...so I was thinking of just adding A Child's Story of America and Exploring Planet Earth...instead of the entire extension package...has anyone ever done this with success....it looked like those two books are scheduled almost throughout. And I figured, as the year went on and she became more confident in her independence...I can always add in some of the other books for the ext package? Thoughts on this ladies is very welcomed....I really feel like this is a good decision for her...but kind of feel like I'm going on a limb....

Okay...I think that's it for now....
I remember Carrie saying somewhere that we could copy the DITHOR workbooks for our own family. At first I was copying it one page at a time on the printer but I found myself skipping it, so this weekend, I took it to a copy place and had the binding cut off and copied the whole thing for about $8. This way I can give my son just the pages for the genre we're working on. And if he wants to repeat a genre (which he has hinted at), it will be easy to recopy those pages. This will also allow me to use the book for my daughter when she gets to DITHOR. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

As for Bigger. My son is 8yo and enjoys listening to the books from the extension package, but not A Child's Story of America or Exploring Planet Earth. So we just add the other books. I read to him, he doesn't read them on his own. Maybe over the summer, we'll read through Exploring Planet Earth when we're not doing a full schedule. I wouldn't hestitate to add which ever parts of the extension pack you think your 9yo would enjoy or is ready for and leave out the rest. Bigger is a good program without the extension pack, so any parts you add are a bonus.