Scary moment for mom during Bigger Science Unit 7

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
marypoppins

Scary moment for mom during Bigger Science Unit 7

Post by marypoppins » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:15 pm

You should have seen me sweating bullets today during our discussion of the notebook page assignment for Bigger Week 7 day 2, Lol! :shock: That's the assignment where dc are to copy the picture of the flower from [u]One Small Square: Woods[/u] with the male and female parts and then copy the paragraph discussing how seeds are formed. The paragraph in the book is very clear - short and sweet, and to the point - so much so that I could see the wheels really starting to turn in ds's mind. A few comments he made had me shaking in my boots! I was convinced that he was going to put 2 and 2 together and start asking questions about the "facts of life" right then and there! :shock: Luckily I was able to momentarily distract him and steer the conversation back to flowers...but whew, I am really not looking forward to that conversation, Lol. :roll: On the other hand, lessons like this are probably really good to lay a foundation for the whole idea that God uses a little part of the male and a little part of the female to create life.... Perhaps "the facts of life" won't seem such a shocking idea to him if he's had some of this groundwork...at least I'm hoping. :wink:

mansmom

Re: Scary moment for mom during Bigger Science Unit 7

Post by mansmom » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:25 pm

That post has me LOL :lol: It's so true....it definitely isn't as big a deal to them as the "anticipation" is to us!!

Makes me think of the time my oldest (then 4...so what can you tell her) asked me while was driving down the road...."How did Nathan get in your tummy??" --- YIKES! Let Mommy finish driving (i.e. Think a minute) and I will talk to you about that!!!

These darn kids and their minds....aaahhhhh....
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:52 pm

How wonderful that your child is getting exposure to the facts of life through God's world. The ideal connection, IMHO. :D
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:58 pm

You've got me cracking up! :lol: We live on a dairy farm, and have cats and dogs (male and female), so my kids have "seen it all" in the animal world. We haven't had a specific "people" talk yet, but we have plenty of illustrations when the time comes. :wink: And I'm sure my future daughters-in-law will love it that my sons will relate everything that has to do with pregnancy, childbirth, and nursing to COWS! :shock: I know I found it extrememly comforting in the delivery room... :roll: (Actually my hubby and I have had several laughs about this... :lol: )

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Patience

Post by Patience » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:41 pm

That is too funny! I will be ready when I get to that in Bigger next year thanks to you!
Wife of 10 wonderful years
Mom to three
9 yo girl and 7 yo boy doing BIGGER
3yo girl listening in to all our reading

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:36 pm

marypoppins,

You had me smiling through your post today! :wink: We've discovered that our kiddos transition to the understanding the "facts of life" so much better, if they've had some experience with the reproduction of plants and animals first. It makes it less of a shock when you share the rest, as you mentioned. I grew up on a farm too, but I will say I never put two and two together until I was blind-sided with the "facts of life" as a sixth grader in public school. What a shock that was for my mom! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie