Emergent Reader Book Level

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
moedertje

Emergent Reader Book Level

Post by moedertje » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:11 pm

I am not from this country and am trying to figure out how your reading level works. At least I want to know if any of you can help me and point me in the right way to get books of the same reading level as Carrie has used for the Emergent reader schedule.
I am looking at getting some different books for my son to read and want to know how to go about it so I use the right reading level as he progresses. He has always had a thing about owls so I would like to pick a different book.
We are in unit 8 of Beyond Little Hearts and he is ready to read on his own, so we started with the Early Readers Bible today!
I may do the Beginners Bible next and that will buy me some time to figure this out.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Emergent Reader Book Level

Post by Carrie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Sandra,

I'll move this to the main board as that is where the moms will respond to you. All new posts begin on the main board. :D

As far as reading level goes, we rate each book as to the grade level and month, so a 3.4 book would be a third grade level book in the 4th month of being a third grader. Levels go up to .9 for each grade (equal to the 9 months of a typical school year). :wink:

If you are at a loss for finding the appropriate books, reading the two Bibles is a good idea. The Early Reader Bible is about a 2.0 reading level, and The Beginner's Bible is a mid-second grade reading level. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:17 pm

Since than I realized that there are alternatives to the Emergent Books, in the back of the Manual. They are great and I have been getting them either at the library or the Goodwill Bookstore, just for extra reading material.
So we read Corduroy instead of "Owl at Home".
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

merchi

Post by merchi » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:39 pm

Is there a list of the alternate emergent readers books somewhere? I have kids in the later guides, and no longer own Beyond... however, I am tutoring some kiddos in reading, and would love to use the ER books and their alternates to supplement reading for these little ones.
Blessings,
*Ü*
Karen
Wife to Patrick, mom to Jessica, Joshua, Alyssa, Jordan, Josiah <--- all graduated
Bethany (WG) and Benjamin (Rev2Ref)
Grandmom to Gabrielle, Isabella, Gianna and Joe-Joe.