BHFHG with 7 and 9 year old together??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
wertzeemom

BHFHG with 7 and 9 year old together??

Post by wertzeemom » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:17 pm

I am looking into this curriculum - possibly - for next year. My girls will be 7 and 9 - in 2nd and 4th grade. Does this program really cover enough for a 4th grader with the Extension Pack? Has anyone done this or another guide with kids of multiple ages who can give me some advice?? It all seems so wonderful - I just can't decide how to go about it all. Thanks!!
10 yo DD -
8 yo DD -
3 yo DS -

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: BHFHG with 7 and 9 year old together??

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:39 pm

Welcome to the board! I'm going to move your post over to the main board, so more moms will see it. All new posts start on the main board. This folder is for testimonial-type posts. :wink:

The placement chart is a great place to begin. Here is the link: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

For your 4th grader, depending on where that child falls on the placement chart in reading, math, writing, spelling, and grammar, you may need to add those subjects from the right side of the Preparing Hearts guide. It will really help the ladies and I advise your better once we hear more about what you're thinking after looking over the chart. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:35 am

I am doing exactly that. Our school year started out with 7 and 9 year old - they are now 8 and 10. Anyway, we combine Bigger and oldest has own math and english. It is working out really well for us. I am adding some science just for him too, but we love doing most of they day together.
-Kirsten
Creation to Christ 2012-2013
Aaron 11/2000
Heidi 1/2003

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:56 am

Yes, Bigger Hearts is a very full program! Have you seen the first week of plans? Here is a link to that:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/BHFHG-first-week.pdf

You could get a great feel for what your dc will be doing in Bigger Hearts by printing off the first week of plans, as well as the "Introduction" which is at this link:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/BHFHG- ... -07-11.pdf

Even though I've been using HOD for 8 years, I still reread the "Introduction" for guides I've already taught as it reminds me of all that we will accomplish in a year. :D I get so excited then - we do so much with HOD! Nothing is a throw away assignment. Each and every part of each and every box meets either an academic or Biblical goal! I know many books introduction's are kind of ho - hum, not so enlightening, but HOD's Introductions are worth a careful read. For example, when you look at what's included in a guide and see Storytime read alouds, you may think, 'oh I know what that's all about, me just reading some books out loud, but when you read BHFHG's Introduction you see the academic goals of the Storytime box:
*Day 1: introduce and study different types of literature
*Day 2: model narration to foster comprehension
*Day 3: identify and analyze a different story element for each genre
*Day 4: relate personally to one Godly character trait, compare Biblical and book characters, and make a bookmark as a reminder of the trait
*Day 5: practice narration by retelling the story

That sheds a whole new light on what read alouds in Bigger Hearts are all about! :D Every box of plans is that way. HOD does not waste a minute of our time. :wink: Yes, BHFHG will be enough for your 9 yo. If you have an advanced, independent, avid reader, you could have your 9 yo do the Extension Package readings and assignments, but I'd probably start without it and add it if you wanted to later. You could have your 9 yo do R & S English 3 if that student knows basic parts of speech and is ready for diagramming. Likewise, you can give the free Singapore Math placement test at http://www.singaporemath.com to see which level to use. Your older student can do dictation instead of spelling, and the poetry copywork as well. Just be sure to look at the placement chart carefully, and if your dc place in BHFHG, then by all means, it will be more than enough. :wink: HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

alizanderson

Post by alizanderson » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:27 pm

We did the Bible, History, and Science with my 6(when we started) to7 and 8to9 Year old from this. We did the Beyond Little Hearts for my 6to7year old in the other areas that worked ok but next year I am redoing the Bigger for my 7 and going to Christ to Creation for my older one. The younger one didn't to all the work in notebooking and didn't seem to comprehend it as much so we will redo it next year.

Wendi in MD

Post by Wendi in MD » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:10 pm

I also used Bigger with my 7yo & 9yo {2nd & 4th grades} this year. The 4th grader did the extensions and both kiddos did their own grade level of math & grammar. I think it was definitely a good fit for both of my kiddos, and a good intro into HOD for our family.
Wendi in Maryland
Wife to Scott
Mama to Ryan {2002}, Abby {2004}, and Caleb {2006}