I just have to share!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2Monkeys

I just have to share!

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:56 am

So, I've been encouraging more "masterly inactivity" in our home recently. We are only on unit 3 in Beyond now and this is our first year with HOD! My dd7 has not seemed to think of poetry as one of her favorite parts, but as we start adding in the hand motions and such that Carrie has planned, she has come to rather enjoy it :) So much so, that she began writing her own poem yesterday!! With NO prompting from me whatsoever! This from my child who runs from the pencil! It's not that she doesn't like the creativity of writing, but the physical act of writing. Anyway, here's her original writing (spelling, punc., caps and all):

A Sinful Jorney

I took the esey path, wich leadeth me astray,
Until God reached out and put me the right way.

I just get tickled at her word choice sometimes...she used "leadeth" and "astray" all on her own. Our Bible doesn't even use words with the "-eth" on the end...lol.
She has also learned the sing the entire nat'l anthem and begun teaching it to her brothers. She LOVES to sing. AND, get this, she has started wanting to change diapers (wet only!) and put her littlest brother in his PJ's, and lay with him at night (sometimes reads a story to him if he'll sit still). SHe's also offered to bathe him for me or clean the kitchen for me while I bathe him. :shock:

Thank you Carrie for a wonderful curriculum that has my daughter growing up before my eyes in a matter of 3 weeks! We are HODies for life!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

lmercon

Re: I just have to share!

Post by lmercon » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:08 am

That is one of the most precious things I've ever read! So sweet! Make sure you keep that and put it in her babybook or scrapbook. You will treasure that someday.
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Lori_in_Austin

Post by Lori_in_Austin » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:15 am

I am feeling warm and fuzzy ! Thanks for sharing one of your precious sweet moments.
Lori in Austin, TX
wife to dh "Joe"
mom to two boys:
ds-5 - LHFHG using: The Reading Lesson, Explode the Code Phonics, Right Start Math.
ds-2.5 -
soon to start LHTH with Before FIAR

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:41 pm

That is so precious! Thanks for sharing!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:56 pm

That is so sweet!! Thanks for sharing...I love stuff like that.
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:34 pm

Mom2Monkeys,

What a precious poem! The meaning in it is the most precious part. :wink:

I cannot take credit for the fabulous benefits of reading good poetry, but it is a wonderful thing that we've discovered from a using a CM-style education with our own boys as well. Another side benefit we've discovered from reading great literature is the descriptive wording kiddos automatically begin using in their writing and their speaking. 8)

Thanks so much for sharing! I am so glad that you and your daughter are enjoying Beyond and learning as you go! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:42 pm

Tamara - What a great poem your dd wrote! :D I second the pp who said to save it for a scrapbook! She did a great job - and captured an important truth!

Carrie - I have to admit that when I was first looking at HOD for my ds, I saw that it included poetry, and my reaction was "Poetry? Yuck!" My husband and I both had experiences with poetry that were incredibly boring and non-productive. So I figured I'd just skip that box. As we started Bigger this year, it is definitely one of our favorite things! :shock: We love the poetry!! You must have made great choices in your selections, Carrie, because I don't ever remember enjoying it before. :wink: Thanks!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:48 pm

Kathleen,

I, too, had a terrible opinion of poetry prior to reading the more classic poets. But, as my kiddos and I have now read poetry for years, I have realized that not all poetry is "good" poetry. The Jack Prelutsky, Shel Silverstein, funny-type poetry we read in the public school is what I would now consider "twaddle". There is SO much good poetry and many great poets out there that I'd never read before. My boys have become poetry lovers too! 8)

Blessings,
Carrie

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:36 am

I have to admit I intended to skip the poetry box too. :oops: I'm so glad I didn't. My 10 year old likes it and is actually enjoying writing his own using the writing assignments in the LA box. My 6 year old has declared the poetry his favorite part of school! I couldn't believe it. :shock: Every week he copies one line a day (he's not ready for the amount of copywork it would take to copy the whole poem usually) and then illustrates it. He loves it! He regularly goes back through his poetry section of his notebook and wants me to reread the poems. Again, I'm so very glad I didn't skip that box.

I have to confess something else, too, though. We actually like the funny poems like Shel Silverstein at our house. There's one of those kinds of funny poetry books called "Don't Mess with Moses" that my boys absolutely love. :)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:42 pm

mamas4bugs,

I agree that some of Shel Silverstein's poetry is pretty cute, but after 11 years of it in the public school system, the spark wears off! :lol: I meant that it just doesn't have that enduring quality that the classic poetry has, and I'd never read ANY classic poetry prior to homeschooling my kiddos. :oops: It was like opening up a whole new world to me! :D

Blessings,
Carrie