When you don’t feel like doing any curriculum.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gracefulrain

When you don’t feel like doing any curriculum.

Post by gracefulrain » Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:31 am

Hey all, I am a little burnt out on homeschool curriculum. I have heart of Dakota res to ref to use next year and I’m just not feeling it. Can anyone relate? At the same time, I haven’t found a more suitable history program that I like better.

Jaimejac

Re: When you don’t feel like doing any curriculum.

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:01 am

Are you taking a summer break? Maybe you'll feel differently after some time off for you and your kids?
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

gracefulrain

Post by gracefulrain » Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:37 am

We are taking a summer break. We have been done with heart of dakota for over a month. I think we will just scale back to 3 days a week (maybe a little less if needed) and just plan to not finish a guide per a year. It ends up feeling too boxed in. The other days we can do other types of learning. Board games, cooking/baking, sewing, art projects, family unit studies, field trips, etc. Math can be 4-5 days. If they finish MTMM somewhere in highschool, we can develop courses around their interest for those last couple years. For some reason I keep forgetting this plan and get overwhelmed thinking about fitting it all in. I can’t imagine us working well with group studies all year long (like switching our history to SCM or MFW), they do need some things that are independent. I also don’t want to have to plan their output for history/science. The guide does that very well.

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:43 pm

How old are your kids? I wonder if it would help to talk to Julie in the office? She is great with talking through things like this.
Last edited by Jaimejac on Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:51 pm

I think homeschool curriculum burn out can happen to any of us. Perhaps take a year to just focus on what is most important to you and your husband, or like you said slow down the guides to give you more of the time that you are wanting with your family.
Last edited by christianmom on Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

gracefulrain

Post by gracefulrain » Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:17 pm

I actually have children who will be in middle school (6th and 8th) in addition to younger ones. I have peace about relaxing a bit and following our interests, and doing more as a family. I do plan to still do math daily, even some through the summer. They read a lot on their own so I’m not worried about history and science being covered enough. In fact I think they will make many connections with some of the units I have in mind. It is just impossible to do everything and everything well. Right now relationships need the most attention.

gracefulrain

Post by gracefulrain » Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:42 pm

christianmom wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:51 pm
I think homeschool curriculum burn out can happen to any of us. Perhaps take a year to just focus on what is most important to you and your husband, or like you said slow down the guides to give you more of the time that you are wanting with your family.
This is true. I don’t have to commit to slowing down forever, but I guess I just need that permission to do so without feeling like I’m behind. If they finish beyond MtMM that’s great, if not there’s other things that they can do to fill in for credits when that time comes.