HOD & Twaddle

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mgs

HOD & Twaddle

Post by Mgs » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:15 am

I really appreciate the book selections in HOD. I was looking for literature for my 6 yr old and realized most of the books in the library were twaddle. I don’t mind a little bit… I am back to ordering HOD’s books for my children.. luckily most are available through inter library loan, but I’ll be buying what isn’t. With all the choices- it is nice to not have to wade through a bunch of stuff.

Does anyone have additional books they’d recommend for a child who has finished HOD emerging readers that aren’t a part of HOD?

Jaimejac

Re: HOD & Twaddle

Post by Jaimejac » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:42 am

I will sometimes buy a whole series of a book that HOD only carries one of. For instance, in the new ER2's there is the A to Z Mysteries for letter R. I bought the whole series for my emerging reader. It's possible Carrie only chose one of them for a reason, but I found nothing wrong with most of them. Also included in the ER2 is Jem's Wild Winter. I've had my eye on the Goldtown Beginnings series for awhile and was just waiting for my reader to be ready. I was happy to see she had chosen one of those. The Meg Mackintosh series is another one where Carrie chose one book for the ER2's but there is a whole series to go along with it. For your older kids, Bigger includes Footprints in the Barn, the first in the Farm Mystery Series. I bought that whole series as well and loved every one of them. That series is written by a Christian homeschooling family about a Christian homeschooling family so I really like how we can relate to the characters in the book. Bigger also includes on of the Grandma's Attic series of which the whole series is delightful.

Hope this helps!

Blessings
Jaime
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:44 pm

Also, when we go to the library, my kids mostly stick to the nonfiction section. I agree that most of the junior fiction is twaddle. And there are some nonfiction books that need to be screened, but for the most they are ok.
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:02 pm

When you reach the DITHOR level there is a Sample Book List you can purchase which is a print out of books in each genre and reading level! I love checking it for additional books.
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!