Sneak Peek: New High School Math Choices

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
RookieAce

Sneak Peek: New High School Math Choices

Post by RookieAce » Fri May 26, 2023 10:05 am

Math U See Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-Calculus, and Stewardship

Announcing… four new high school math choices from Christian author Steve Demme! Our first three offerings include Math U See’s Geometry, Algebra II, and Pre-Calculus courses! Each of these offer universal sets that include all your student needs! Universal sets include instruction manuals with complete solutions; student workbooks with worksheets, review pages, and honor pages; test booklets; and instruction DVDs that also include access to online versions.

Geometry emphasizes the vocabulary of geometry, practical applications of geometry, and traditional geometry with proofs. Algebra II includes graphing with extensive practice with conic sections, solving using systems of equations, and an introduction to vectors. PreCalculus focuses on classic trigonometry with advanced algebra to prepare students for calculus and other upper-level courses.

Finally, our fourth math offering is the Math U See Stewardship course! This universal set includes an instruction manual with lesson-by-lesson instructions and detailed solutions; online lesson-by-lesson streaming instructional videos, a student workbook, and a stewardship Biblical studies resource. This course features consumer math taught from a Biblical perspective. With 36 lessons organized into a weekly format, this 2nd edition is sure to be a favorite of yours!

Christian Light Algebra I

Announcing... a new high school math offering of the incremental, textbook-based Christian Light Algebra I math curriculum! For some students approaching high school, algebra looms ahead as a fearful, threatening, and sadly misunderstood class. Christian Light's Algebra I course takes the fear and misunderstandings out of the equation! Math is foundational in so many areas of study and life, and Christian Light Mathematics helps lay that solid foundation. Packed with practice and review, Christian Light Education employs an incremental spiral approach in a textbook format.

Each lesson incorporates a new concept and includes review of previously learned concepts. Written from a Christian worldview, every lesson reinforces Biblical values. The following 4 components work together to offer a complete Algebra I course: Christian Light Algebra I Textbook, Christian Light Algebra I Solution Key 1-5, Christian Light Algebra I Solution Key 6-10, and Christian Light Algebra I Quizzes and Tests.

Principles of Algebra II

Introducing… a new, full-color, complete Christian Algebra II high school program! Published by Master Books, Principles of Algebra II not only teaches algebra, but also shows students why they’re learning concepts. It also shows how algebra’s very existence points us to God. Students will see algebra in action... and find their biblical worldview built along the way. Algebra II lessons can be completed in 60-90 minutes. The recommended schedule suggests 5 days per week. The following 3 components work together to provide a complete Algebra II course:
  • Principles of Algebra II Student Text: This textbook presents concepts in an engaging way to students, incorporating science and other real-life examples.
  • Principles of Algebra II Teacher Guide: This resource contains worksheets, quizzes, and tests.
  • Principles of Algebra II Solutions Manual: This manual not only gives the solutions to all the worksheet, quiz, and test problems, it also includes numerous explanatory notes.

Power Basics Geometry

Introducing… Power Basics: Geometry… a concise, streamlined geometry math high school curriculum! Power Basics offers your student a complete geometry program without the often overwhelming length and complexity of traditional textbooks! This four-component program presents the essential content students need to succeed. The Teacher’s Guide gives unit overviews, extension suggestions, a complete answer key, record-keeping forms, and graphic organizers. The consumable Student Workbook & Workbook Answer Key provides activities for each lesson that focus on practice, extension, and different learning styles. The Test Pack offers more detailed assessments, including a pretest, unit tests, and a posttest. It also provides scoring keys and test-taking strategies. Finally, the Student Resource provides the student text which includes instruction, drill, practice, and problem-solving skills. If your student is struggling with traditional courses, Power Basics: Geometry may be the answer you are seeking!

StephanieU

Re: Sneak Peek: New High School Math Choices

Post by StephanieU » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:44 pm

Is there any pacing suggestions for MUS Geometry?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:14 am

StephanieU wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:44 pm
I am using MUS for my two middle children for High School, which includes the Geometry.

I don’t know if Carrie will schedule MUS in the guides, but the program is designed to be self-paced which is what I’ve loved about it at the High School levels.

The number of sheets they do each day, or the number of days it takes to do one full lesson (there are 30 lessons in Geometry and each lesson has 5 sheets, one honors sheet, and one test) depends on how long or how short it takes for them to master the concepts being taught for the lesson. The pacing entirely depends on their learning speed.

They have each been spending about one hour a day for MUS, and it moves along at a good pace.

I hope that helps.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:02 am

christianmom wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:14 am
StephanieU wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:44 pm
I am using MUS for my two middle children for High School, which includes the Geometry.

I don’t know if Carrie will schedule MUS in the guides, but the program is designed to be self-paced which is what I’ve loved about it at the High School levels.

The number of sheets they do each day, or the number of days it takes to do one full lesson (there are 30 lessons in Geometry and each lesson has 5 sheets, one honors sheet, and one test) depends on how long or how short it takes for them to master the concepts being taught for the lesson. The pacing entirely depends on their learning speed.

They have each been spending about one hour a day for MUS, and it moves along at a good pace.

I hope that helps.
My concern is that my son will properly take longer than necessary simply to avoid harder work. If I don't give him any "due dates" he will say he is still working on ___ for months. So I need some sort of pacing suggestions. (This child will avoid work if at all possible. But he is very smart and CAN get things done quickly if motivated...)
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:01 pm

StephanieU wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:02 am
My concern is that my son will properly take longer than necessary simply to avoid harder work. If I don't give him any "due dates" he will say he is still working on ___ for months. So I need some sort of pacing suggestions. (This child will avoid work if at all possible. But he is very smart and CAN get things done quickly if motivated...)
The Geometry is 30 lessons; whereas the Algebra 1 is 35 lessons, Algebra 2 is 31 lessons, and the Pre-Calculus is 30 lessons. If you did a lesson each week you could finish one level a year with the 35 weeks scheduled for HOD for one High School guide.

To do one lesson a week, you could do:
Monday - Sheets A & B
Tuesday - Sheets C & D
Wednesday - Sheets E & Honors Sheet
Thursday - Test

This would easily allow you to finish one year of math each school year.

My kids are taking an hour to do 2 - 3 sheets per day, but I know every child is different in how long 2 sheets would take.

MUS is very enjoyable for High School math.