Dictation skills help in many areas of your child's schooling!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Dictation skills help in many areas of your child's schooling!

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:44 pm

Teaching Tip by Carrie...

Dictation skills help in many areas of your child’s schooling!
One of my absolute favorite Charlotte Mason-style teaching strategies is the way she uses studied dictation. This is because studied dictation encompasses so many skills within a short session.

What does a studied dictation lesson include for skills?

Before the dictating begins, studying the passage first encourages students to picture correct spelling and punctuation on their mental blackboards.

As the passage is dictated, students hone their auditory and verbal skills as they listen and repeat the passage before writing. Correcting their own passage by checking it against a correctly written model practices proofreading skills. Immediately fixing any mistakes means errors in spelling take less root in the child’s mind.

Repeating a missed passage once daily until it is written correctly helps students replace an incorrect model with a correct model in their mind. Through the studied dictation process, your children are learning spelling, grammar, and punctuation skills too...

To read more of this teaching tip by Carrie, click here:
https://heartofdakota.com/2023/02/23/di ... ucation-2/
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie