CTC - Written Narrations

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jaimejac

CTC - Written Narrations

Post by Jaimejac » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:50 pm

We did Preparing last year and I worked a lot with daughter on her written narrations. Julie gave me some great advice about how much help I should be giving that we followed. We are now in week 7 of CTC and she has looked ahead in the guide to see that the prompt questions will be removed and she will be expected to discern the important information for her narration on her own. She already doesn’t like doing them, but this has added a level of anxiety about the transition in skill. I looked in the guide and see that we have several weeks (like 12) before the questions are removed. I’m wondering how I can help over this anxiety? And prepare her for the next step in written narrations? Especially since this is supposed to be more independent in CTC. For reference, she is 9, so at the younger end of the guide which may play into some of this. But she is doing great with the rest of the guide. I have told her this is similar to the summary narration we are doing in storytime, just she is writing it down which helps. But curious what others have done?
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

StephanieU

Re: CTC - Written Narrations

Post by StephanieU » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:20 pm

How is she at oral narrations? Maybe write out some of those for her, so she can see that she is capable of pulling out the important information already. Yes, writing can be harder, but it is just coming skills she already has.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rice

Post by Rice » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:18 pm

I agree with Stephanie to show her some in some way that it is the same as theboral narrations she's already done for years (in history, science and storytime). Whether just explaining that, or rwriting down an oral narration so she can see it (which is likely to be way longer than a written narration), or recording an oral narration for her to listen to, or some combination of those.

Also remember that there's nothing wrong with stepping back on the independence during the transition. Again, like at the beginning of Preparing, you could write for her for a couple of units, or allow her to use voice to text for a unit or two, or record her orally narrating (just the 5-8 sentences) for her to then listen to and transcribe.

Andrew Pudewa (from Excellence in Writing) says you cannot help children learning to write (and edit) too much. Model the process, help them with it, come along side them as they do it, help them edit, and eventually they will take over and start doing it independently.

I know it's her, not you, who needs the reassurance, but don't forget that what HOD expects, HOD has prepared them to do! (Even if they need a bit of hand holding with each new step.)

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:56 am

You're right, I was afraid she wouldn't be learning the independent skill she is supposed to if I help her too much now, but I probably do need to scale back the independence in this area until she is ready. She loves the independence of CTC in all the other areas, BUT written narrations. I think if she had it her way, I would still read the text to her even though she is full capable of reading it on her own. But I think I have to keep in mind that she is on the younger side.

It's interesting...I have followed CM principles since we started homeschooling 5 years ago so I would think she was used to narrations by now, but part of what drew me to HOD was that despite everything I've read about CM and narrations, I was still struggling to teach the skill and I needed the hand-holding and incremental skill-building that HOD offered. So she has struggled with oral narrations. Until now, with CTC where she is learning both detailed and summary narrations. When she had to start doing both, all of a sudden her oral narrations took off and were much easier than summary narrations for her. Go figure!

I like the idea of recording it for her to listen to. I do videos of her poetry presentations and she really likes that.

Thanks for the tips ladies!
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

Rice

Post by Rice » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:38 am

Jaimejac wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:56 am
I think if she had it her way, I would still read the text to her even though she is full capable of reading it on her own. But I think I have to keep in mind that she is on the younger side.
One more idea: I DO read that first history book in CTC aloud to my kids! It is the most challenging book they will encounter in the next 4 years. I read it aloud until either: they are handling it well and are ready for the challenge (and even then, I may read it aloud on Day 4 for written narration for a while longer), OR until they end of the book, and when they go on to the next (much less challenging book) then they take over in independence. I have found that this removes the tears and still does provide enough time (17 units at least) for them to be able to master the skills for the guide.

(We just started CTC again with my youngest 2; starting Unit 2 full speed tomorrow after doing the first unit at half speed, so we get to share this journey with you!)

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:09 pm

Jaimejac wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:56 am
You're right, I was afraid she wouldn't be learning the independent skill she is supposed to if I help her too much now, but I probably do need to scale back the independence in this area until she is ready. She loves the independence of CTC in all the other areas, BUT written narrations. I think if she had it her way, I would still read the text to her even though she is full capable of reading it on her own. But I think I have to keep in mind that she is on the younger side... Until now, with CTC where she is learning both detailed and summary narrations. When she had to start doing both, all of a sudden her oral narrations took off and were much easier than summary narrations for her. Go figure!
Congratulations on your daughter making good progress in her written narrations in Preparing Hearts! Also - so glad to hear she is loving the independence in CTC! That is wonderful!!! I know you'd emailed me as well, but I thought I'd answer here too in case it might benefit others to read this too.

When children begin a new guide, some skills will be new, some will be skills they have been exposed to but need to practice, and others are skills they have that they need to maintain.

One of the new skills being taught in CTC is for children to independently (silently, in their head) read their Reading About History books. While they practiced this skill with their Independent History books in PHFHG, it is a new skill to read the history spines (though parents maintain reading aloud the Storytime reading, Genesis study, and Geography book).

For children who are not quite ready to read the Reading About History book on their own, it is an appropriate modification to read aloud a portion of it (i.e. set the timer for 5 to 10 minutes) and let them finish reading it independently after that. Carrie did that herself with one of her sons, and he transitioned into being able to read it all on his own partway into the year. Likewise, for children who have special needs, it may be very appropriate for the parent to take over the reading completely. These are very appropriate modifications in these situations! So, let me say that clearly first!

However, as you shared, your daughter is fully capable of reading it on her own. If you read aloud the Reading About History book, you'll also be reading aloud the history-based Storytime book, and your daughter will not be reading any history on her own. She would then be backtracking from the skill she worked on all year in PHFHG (reading a portion of her history independently). So, as she is 9 yo and able, just as CM advocated, she should read the Reading About History book independently.

Another new skill being taught 20 units into CTC is for children to write their own narrations without the guidance of questions. As with any new skill being taught, this will take time and practice to improve. Children are not supposed to have mastered this skill prior to trying it. So, you can encourage your sweet daughter not to look ahead in the plans or in the guides and worry herself ahead of time about how she will do! She is going to do fine! We would expect her to need real time to transition into this new skill. In fact, that is why Carrie and I thought it best to practice it the last 15 units of CTC. That way, children will have practiced this skill prior to RTR, in which written narrations are simply assigned.

I think it important to note that the only intended guidelines for writing the written narrations beginning in Unit 20 are provided in the daily plans and in the Appendix. The written narration need not be a summary nor a detailed narration. Rather, any written narration that meets these guidelines will do:

Write a 5-7 sentence narration.
Include who/what topic the reading was mainly about.
Include descriptors of the important thing(s) that happened.
Include a closing sentence.
Underline/highlight the main idea.
Use the Written Narration Skills in the Appendix to edit the narration.

Carrie purposely removed any guideline of 'summary' or 'detailed' narration. Any written narration that meets the above list of guidelines should be happily accepted with bravado! The parent then works through the Written Narration Skills in the Appendix one at a time to edit the narration.

The goal is for students not to be anxious about this because any written narration that meets the above guidelines is considered a good narration. Notice we even put "include descriptors of the important thing(s) that happened" - parentheses to show it could be appropriate to talk mainly about just ONE thing even. Sometimes the reading truly is about one big thing/event/person!

So, looking at the list, I am fully confident from what you shared that she can be successful with this transition! Truly, any five-sentence written narration on topic is considered a success with this new skill of writing a narration without questions. And then, you are there to help edit it.

It might help to read through the Appendix's guidelines for teachers/students as she transitions into this new skill. Little honey just sounds like she gets anxious about doing a new skill perfectly the first time! I have a son who was like that too. It could be the skill for her will be to learn to give herself some grace when learning new skills. There will be plenty of new skills to come, so letting go of perfectionism (which I understand well) will be good to do.

So, I'd not let her think before she's even tried the new skill that she's not going to be able to do it. The truth is, she could do it today! Her narration may not be written as well - expect that - for the new skill of doing it without the guided questions is actually the skill we want her developing. It would be better for her to have a 'not as good' written narration because she took on the new skill of reading it herself and writing it herself than it would be for her to have a more 'perfect' written narration because you read the history aloud to her and gave her guiding questions.

The breakthrough you saw with her oral narrations has come after years of practice. Oral narrations begin in Little Hearts! Think how long she's had to work on oral narration skills! Written narrations begin with 1-3 sentences and total guidance in PHFHG. She will have many years to hone her written narration skills, and she will continue to have breakthroughs just as she has had with oral narrations!

I hope that makes sense and helps! She's got this!!! As she's only 9 though, keep in mind, you can always slow things down if need be - but I wouldn't unless she truly cannot do the reading and/or truly cannot do the writing. For now, she sounds accurately placed. Congrats on the progress she has made! I know she'll continue to make progress in new skills as they come her way too. Keep up the good work you are doing homeschooling your daughter, Jaime!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:30 am

Thank you Julie! This is exactly what I needed! I read to her what you said about not looking ahead and I think it was weight off her shoulders. :D
So I will continue to have her read he passage independently. But it's helpful to know her narration could be about just one thing if that's what stood out to her. I think that's part of where we were going wrong...trying to narrate the the whole passage in that 5-8 sentences. I will be sure to review the guidelines in the appendix. Thanks again!
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:23 pm

Oh good, Jaime! I'm just so glad to hear your daughter felt this was a weight off her shoulders! I'm also glad she will follow the intended guidelines in the plans of reading independently and writing her narration in 5-8 sentences. She will grow in to this skill and thrive with it eventually, just as she has with oral narrations. Thanks for sharing here!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie