Library

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mgs

Library

Post by Mgs » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:43 am

Normally we would all be studying the same thing so I’d grab a huge lot of library books on the topic. With heart of Dakota, everyone is doing different things. How do you utilize the library if you use it? They love to read. I have 3 guides going right now, and I’ll have 4 going next year not counting little hands.

StephanieU

Re: Library

Post by StephanieU » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:56 am

I like to get a few "random" non-fiction books for my kids. I look and see what books they have on famous people and places. There have been seasons we have gotten books on presidents or states (great for Beyond and Bigger). There are seasons I have gotten books about particular states or people (when we are planning trips, etc). We have gotten books about geography when one child was struggling (younger years) with maps. Some times my kids mention something "randomly" and I find books related to that. We have gotten fun science books on things they are interested in or might be interested in.

My kids also pick out lots of free reading books. They have learned what is okay and what is not, for the most part. Occasionally I pull a book they want though.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:02 am

Hi Mgs,

We love to read here too! And I have three guides going as well.... Little Hands, Beyond Little Hearts and CTC. Before finding HOD we used MFW (My Father's World) which relied heavily on the library. Personally, I found it quite refreshing to not be so tied to the library and to be building our own home library through the HOD books. That said, my kids still love going to the library and choosing books of their own interest - sometimes inspired by their current HOD topic, other times not. Also, since I already own the library lists from the MFW programs I used, I refer to those if any books coordinate with our HOD study. But they are all for free reading or outside-of-HOD storytime. Also, this may be cost prohibitive for some, but I am working on investing in HOD's book packs even if we are not using them directly in our studies so that my children have a variety of quality free reading options I know I can trust. For example, we are using the History Interest set for our CTC Storytime, but I purchased the Girl-Interest and Boy-Interest sets for my CTC student to read on her own. And we are using the Girl 4/5 book back for our DITHR studies, but I purchased the Boy 4/5 book pack as well. Of course, you could also get those from the library at your leisure instead of purchasing the sets. I believe HOD also has a Book List you can buy for $5 for library ideas. Of course, you could also just search your library for books that coordinate with each child's studies for them to read/look through or for you to read to them outside of your HOD time.

Hope this helps! :)
Jaime
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:21 pm

Thank you ladies! It is refreshing to not need the library so much. I have oodles of books lists for various literature programs. I think it will be a different way of learning/ library trips and I’m trying to adjust. I absolutely love the programs more and more.

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:35 pm

I’m glad we could go move you some ideas! It can take time to make the mental switch from doing things one way to doing them a new way.

Blessings,
Jaime
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:27 pm

I wonder if I just continue our book basket theme as planned with 4 year cycle. No it won’t match the guides but it would simplify it. They love history. Some children will have already been exposed to the topics, others will be getting a glimpse prior to that guide and others it might coincide. In any case it’s positive! I really enjoy book basket- but 3 history book baskets 😝. I am not able to take my kids to the library to pick out books at this point, mainly just running in to pick up holds and grabbing what looks good on the shelf.

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:04 pm

Jaimejac wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:02 am
Hi Mgs,

We love to read here too! And I have three guides going as well.... Little Hands, Beyond Little Hearts and CTC. Before finding HOD we used MFW (My Father's World) which relied heavily on the library.
I would love to hear why you switched from MFW?

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:38 am

I will PM you. 😄
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven