Finding our roots

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mgs

Finding our roots

Post by Mgs » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:46 pm

Can anyone tell me if this is more history based or devotional based? For personal reasons we don’t do the heart of Dakota devotions (I have them read the Bible verses/ copy work but don’t push the other stuff). Can anyone tell me what this book is like? I would love more ancient bible history, but have skipped this one thinking it was devotional in style- if that makes sense.

Rice

Re: Finding our roots

Post by Rice » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:05 pm

If you mean Ruth Beechick's Genesis: Finding our Roots, then definitely history. Chronology, Biblical culture, etc. It's fabulous.

But be sure it's copyrighted pre-2018, as they changed the formatting and Carrie chose to discontinue providing it (and moved to the Radical Book).

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:24 pm

never mind canceled it and ordering the older one… what was the change? I’m excited to try this!!!

Rice

Post by Rice » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:51 pm

If you search the Message Board there is lots of discussion about it, but here is Carrie's explanation of the change:

"The new edition of Genesis: Finding Our Roots did not retain the beauty, formatting, or layout of the original edition. This new format made the new edition an even more difficult read... making it very difficult for the parent to share with a child in the target age-range within Creation to Christ. In the new edition of Genesis: Finding Our Roots, all of the full-color images are in one inset in the center of the book. The font size is quite small, and the paragraphing has been changed reducing much of the white space that gave the book an easier feel. The book is no longer a hardback. The page size is much reduced, resulting in dense, text-heavy pages. The index is simply reprinted from the original edition... not matching the new edition at all. Even perusing it with an eye to an adult readership, the book appears challenging. :D "

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:13 pm

Woah thanks! Glad I switched!