CTC- what in the world

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mgs

CTC- what in the world

Post by Mgs » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:25 pm

Hello! Is there a substitute for this? My son can not stand audio like this. I’m guessing he can skip the audio and still do the copywork. He’s 11.

StephanieU

Re: CTC- what in the world

Post by StephanieU » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:38 pm

What is it that he can't stand? If it is the speed, there are players you can use that will slow it down. I personally find great value in having kids learn something auditorilly, as there will be times in life they have to learn that way.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:23 pm

Is it Diana Waring? There is a Biblical worldview and particular insights to the history that is specific to her audio. Some of the history presented is only on her audio.

I agree with Stephanie that doing their learning weakness can help later on as they encounter information presented in a variety of ways as adults.

However, the substitute would be Diana Waring’s textbook that is fairly inexpensive. The textbook does present slightly different information since it and the audio complement one another, but it would give the Biblical worldview integration that she has.

Can you listen to it in the car on an errand? Would that help?

If she talks faster than the area you live, it might take awhile to adjust to listening to. Maybe listen to one segment multiple times to adjust first to her style without new information?

The copywork and the history unit study integration will make the most sense using the audio.

I hope you can find what works best for your family with it!

Rice

Post by Rice » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:38 pm

My kids don't particularly like the CDs at first, but I think that learning to pull details out of a lecture is a valuable skill. If they're "lost" then rather than asking them to narrate (way too challenging), I ask them to listen till they hear something new that they'd never heard before, or something interesting to them. At that point you can tell them to go listen to the rest (doing the same again or not) or reward their find and let them move on. (Maybe more the latter at first, working towards listening to it all by the end of the guide.)

The reality is that if you skip all the WITW CDs then you're missing a HUGE amount of content over the next 4 years.

I hope you can figure out something that can work for you.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:15 pm

I don’t think we will be able to use either the audio or the textbook. The textbook is very dense and he reads a lot already. Story of the ancient world seemed to have a biblical worldview? Part of post removed by board moderator per board rules.

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:27 am

Yes, Story of the Ancient World does have a Biblical Worldview.

My kids and I loved the Diana Waring audios so I am probably partial to them.

I agree with Rice though that from CTC thru MTMM you will miss huge amounts of the history by dropping the audios. I’m sorry that they didn’t work for you, but you need to do what is best for your family and as homeschool families we all have to adjust to what works best in our homes. I have read before of moms who use HOD and drop the audios without replacing them…this could be an option for you too since your children will still learn a lot of history.

Blessings,

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:18 pm

My personal opinion would be either to embrace HOD fully or move to a different curriculum, as dropping or replacing parts of the history would cause gaps, especially the more you move along, since the Waring CD's are used for several years. The reason I say this is, because of the way Carrie has designed the curriculum, the different components balance and complement each other and all are necessary to have a complete study of history.

I also wonder if it might be beneficial for your son to realize that if you have determined something is important for him to do, he needs to do it even if he doesn't like it. Throughout our children's schooling there will be aspects they love and aspects they dislike. If we present both aspects as non-negotiable and insist they complete the work, we truly help our children grow and mature. My son used HOD starting with Beyond Little Hearts and is now finishing his first semester of college. With time, it has become clear to me how his time in college has been facilitated by the expectation during his homeschooling years that he do the work set before him, rather than my giving in to any objections he might have made. Of course, if there is a disability that requires modifications, that is a completely different scenario. I'm just referring to a child's dislike of something. :)

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:04 pm

I’m rethinking this… does it grow on you? I ordered a fairly inexpensive copy so I am excited to try this! I would rather not skip anything in the guide, it is so well put together.

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:12 pm

I just got this in the mail today! I love it, for some reason the audio sample online drove me nuts to listen to but so far it’s fine 😂

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:05 pm

Such good thoughts here...

StephanieU... ...there are players you can use that will slow it down. I personally find great value in having kids learn something auditorily, as there will be times in life they have to learn that way.

We speed up the female instructor for Emmett's Geometry, and now we find listening to her just the right speed for us!

LovingJesus... There is a Biblical worldview and particular insights to the history that is specific to her audio. Some of the history presented is only on her audio... I agree with Stephanie that doing their learning weakness can help later on as they encounter information presented in a variety of ways as adults...

So true! My oldest son, Wyatt, has never been a fan of learning auditorily; however, I still had him do all the auditory components within HOD. HOD has many books to offset the auditory components. At Wyatt's new job, part of his training is to listen to auditory training sessions. There are many different people giving the auditory trainings - some he likes better than others. If he'd not had the practice in HOD, he would not be doing as well with his training!!!

Rice... The reality is that if you skip all the WITW CDs then you're missing a HUGE amount of content over the next 4 years.

Yes, LOTS of content would be missed, as well as the intended balance of representing multiple aspects of history together as one cohesive story - very CM-like!

Daybreaking...
... Carrie has designed the curriculum, the different components balance and complement each other and all are necessary to have a complete study of history... I also wonder if it might be beneficial for your son to realize that if you have determined something is important for him to do, he needs to do it even if he doesn't like it...
Balance - so important. This is what gives a complete, cohesive, chronological, and narrative view of history. I too have found that often the things my sons were not as big of fans of doing were the very things they were not as naturally good at doing. For example, my very creative writer loved "The Exciting World of Creative Writing," while my more logical son loved "IEW's Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons." My creative writer grew more as a writer in IEW, and my more logical writer grew more as a writer in The Exciting World of CW. This was because they lacked skills in those areas and needed to stretch themselves to sharpen those skills. They use both kinds of writing in college - so glad I had them persevere through both!

I have found if you give in to a child's complaining and omit something he is not wanting to do, he will run with that! Suddenly, by simply complaining, you can get out of work! One time I said my son didn't have to do the memory work for a few weeks for his Philippians study because we had a few really busy weeks. Fast forward a few months, and when I asked him to share his memory work, he told me sheepishly he had not been doing it at all anymore! Going forward, I made a point not to omit work due to complaining. If it was in the guide, it was to be done. Period. Worked beautifully! Better yet - my sons had a fantastic, balanced education via PreK through 12th grade via HOD!

Sometimes resources grow on you - as you found when you used the actual CD rather than just listening to the sample! So glad to hear that your child won't be missing this integral part of teaching a balanced history!

May you enjoy the rest of the guide and all of its rich history as much as my sons and I did!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie