Really loving hOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mgs

Really loving hOD

Post by Mgs » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:09 pm

We are a couple months into Bigger, a month into little hearts, and a couple weeks into little hands. I really love it all. There are some parts that I thought wouldn’t be a good fit, but I have kept at it and I can see how wonderful everything is laid out now.

I just wish I had a better plan for my oldest. He will be 12 next year (7th), and after getting the guide for Res to Ref it actually looks like he is doing more than that guide this year. So he could potentially do Rev To Rev but I don’t think he wants to repeat American History that soon. He is doing a homemade course this year using beautiful feet.

christianmom

Re: Really loving hOD

Post by christianmom » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:05 am

One thing to remember about the CTC thru MTMM cycle is that it is World History. Yes, American History is woven some into the World History but the focus is World History. The straight American History is in Beyond, Bigger, US History I for 11th, and US History II for 12th. My daughter who did MTMM last year for 8th learned much more World History than straight American History. If you look at the introduction link on the Rev2Rev program on HOD’s web-site and read thru the topics for each week, I think you will see what I mean.

I’m glad you are enjoying HOD! ❤️

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:18 am

Thanks!! That is Such a good point. The only world history he is doing this year are the Genevieve foster books. Btw Is MTMM heavily focused on missions? Also I noticed in your signature there are some skipped guides. Did you go back and forth between heart of Dakota and other curriculums?

RSmith

Post by RSmith » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:50 pm

I don't have anything helpful to say about the older guides since I am not familiar with them, but I just wanted to say how happy I am that you are loving HOD so far. We are in our second year with HOD, doing LHFHG currently, and we love it too. I just feel like it gets better and better as we go.

This last week was very busy with doctor's appointments. One of our appointments was an hour away to see my son's GI doctor. At the beginning of the week, I looked at my calendar and thought, we won't do much school this week. I had planned on maybe doing two or three days. Guess what? We did an entire unit this week. On one of the days I had planned to be off, my little guy asked me so sweetly to do school. He said he would miss it if we took a day off. One night we even did night school with flashlights and a tent in the living room. With HOD, school isn't something we have to do, it's something we get to do.

About three weeks ago, I got the call that my great Aunt, who was like a grandmother to me, had passed away. That day in our guide, we were studying the birth of Jesus. As we studied about the star of Bethlehem, I kept thanking the Lord for his light that shines in the darkness. Because of Jesus' birth, in which he came to die, we can have eternal life. My aunt loved the Lord dearly, and I knew she was with him. Though I had many tears, it felt fitting that we would celebrate the birth of our savior the day she went to be with him.

I have found that I don't have to fit this curriculum into our life. It has become part of how we do life. God has used it in our lives to minister to us through our joys and our sorrows.
Rebecca
Married to best friend for 11 years
Mom to 6 yr old boy (Enjoying LHFHG, Loved LHTH) and 3 yr old girl (loves all the rhymes and songs)

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:44 pm

:D I love reading about how much you are both enjoying HOD and homeschooling so much!

MTMM has missions as a part of the program, but I wouldn’t say it is heavily missions focused. Instead, I would say it is a world history time-line with missions and American history woven in when they show up on the time-line.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:02 pm

Mgs,

This is wonderful to hear! :D I remember doing that combination with my kiddos too! Such fun memories.

Thanks for sharing!
Carrie