Stories of the Pilgrims: I wish abridged books would indicate they're abridged

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ChandraJ650

Stories of the Pilgrims: I wish abridged books would indicate they're abridged

Post by ChandraJ650 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:24 am

We're reading through "Stories of the Pilgrims" by Margaret Pumphrey this month. The book is a second edition and published by Christian Liberty Press. The book is included in the "Beyond" package. I'm disappointed to see that the book is abridged. I don't mind the post-chapter questions, but do mind that the book doesn't indicate that it's been abridged. Extra wording has been added within the chapters, but nowhere in the foreword or copywrite page are there any indications of this. Portion of post removed by board moderator due to board rules.

daybreaking

Re: Stories of the Pilgrims: I wish abridged books would indicate they're abridged

Post by daybreaking » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:31 pm

I'm looking at the 1912 edition of "Stories of the Pilgrims," available online. From all I've read so far, the one used in Beyond is word for word the same as the 1912 edition.

(Also, the foreword of the book used in Beyond does state, "The Pilgrim Stories, as originally written, were read in a number of schools ... Now, carefully revised and graded in vocabulary.")

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

StephanieU

Re: Stories of the Pilgrims: I wish abridged books would indicate they're abridged

Post by StephanieU » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:03 pm

Is there a way to get the original version in print new? My guess is no one is currently publishing it. I would prefer to have a physical version that is slightly abridged than to rely on electronic versions ..
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

ChandraJ650

Post by ChandraJ650 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:25 pm

daybreaking wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:31 pm
I'm looking at the 1912 edition of "Stories of the Pilgrims," available online. From all I've read so far, the one used in Beyond is word for word the same as the 1912 edition.

(Also, the foreword of the book used in Beyond does state, "The Pilgrim Stories, as originally written, were read in a number of schools ... Now, carefully revised and graded in vocabulary.")
The foreword you mention was written by Margaret B Pumphrey from the 1910 original Edition.
One example of extra opinions inserted is on page 120, " Those that remain alive found comfort in the fact that their departed friends had gone to be with the Lord."