History in Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Ksmarshall

History in Bigger

Post by Ksmarshall » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:58 am

Hello,

We love HOD. This is our second year. We completed Beyond with excellent results. I was going to purchase Bigger but am concerned my son will be bored repeating the history. I understand repetition is important and it will go in more detail. And I believe the workload in Preparing may be a bit too much at this point for him. Did any of you all run into this as an issue?
Thank you,
Kathy Marshall

Rice

Re: History in Bigger

Post by Rice » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:14 am

Bigger is not, in any way, a repeat of Beyond. If you look at the descriptions for each guide you will see that Beyond and Bigger, while covering similar time periods, focus on completely different people and events. :D

Beyond: Travel to America, settle unfamiliar lands, and build a new nation alongside ordinary people who risked everything for freedom in Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory. Arrive in the New World on the Mayflower, enjoy Thanksgiving with Chief Massasoit, explore America with French trappers and traders, move to Philadelphia with the Quakers, cross the Blue Ridge Mountains with George Washington, stitch the American flag with Betsy Ross, carve out the Wilderness Road with Daniel Boone, travel west in a wagon train, and race with immigrants to build the Transcontinental Railroad. Through 34 exciting weeks of Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, your children will see what life was like for young Americans, glimpse faith at work in times of trial, discover character qualities in Scripture, and hide God’s Word in their hearts!

Bigger: Embark on a faith-filled quest for freedom along with the courageous men and women who built America in Bigger Hearts for His Glory. Discover the New World with Columbus, save Jamestown with Pocahontas, fight for freedom with General Washington, head West with Louis and Clark, travel the Underground Railway with Harriet Tubman, mine for gold in California, celebrate innovation at the World’s Fair, play jazz with Louis Armstrong, and welcome immigrants seeking to live the American dream! Through 34 exciting weeks of Bigger Hearts for His Glory, your child will step into the shoes of American heroes, discover character qualities in the Word of God, and learn to love and fear the Lord while eagerly awaiting His return.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how different the feel is between the two guides, as well as the progression of skills .

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

my3sons

Re: History in Bigger

Post by my3sons » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:43 pm

I totally agree with Rice! The two are completely different, yet both a joy to do! Bigger Hearts is a necessary transition between Beyond and PHFHG. Skill progression is carefully planned from guide to guide, and your child would be missing some pretty integral teaching. I always think of Bigger Hearts as one of my most important teaching years. Narration skills, writing skills, listening and reading comprehension skills, as well as maturity of content, the length of the school day, and amount of independence are all important thing focused upon in Bigger Hearts. I honestly think skipping Bigger Hearts and jumping into Preparing Hearts after Beyond could set a student back for years to come. Not to mention, Bigger Hearts is a wonderful guide! I wouldn't miss it! Hope that helps!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie