DD9 wishes she could redo 1st grade and do Beyond!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jaimejac

DD9 wishes she could redo 1st grade and do Beyond!

Post by Jaimejac » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:17 pm

We just found HOD last fall and started by DD8 (now 9) with Preparing in January and my DS5 (now 6) with Little Hearts. We are wrapping up Little Hearts and getting ready to start Beyond with DS6 and DD9 is seeing all the cool books he gets to use (some of which she read in 2nd grade) and all the cool activities he will get to do and she said she wished she could do 1st grade all over again so she could do Beyond too! Just goes to show how great HOD is!

I told her she did not have a bad 1st grade at all, but it just wasn't all that HOD is. I certainly wish I had found HOD earlier, but on the other hand, if I had, I might not appreciate it as much because I have researched and learned a lot in the last three years and I wouldn't have known three years ago what I know now.

Anyways, DD6 and I only have one week left of Little Hearts and I am chomping at the bit to start Beyond so I was really tempted to skip it or rush through it, but it really is some of the best stuff for last, so I am forcing myself to be patient and wait one more week. :)

Jaime
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

MomOfLittleWomen

Re: DD9 wishes she could redo 1st grade and do Beyond!

Post by MomOfLittleWomen » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:19 pm

Aww, preparing also looks wonderful.. I hope they both have a great year! I’m happy with how things turned out for us too and the timing of starting HOD. We just did some simple things for Kindergarten with my oldest with reading, writing & math after 2 months of intense research and it ended up being a great fit for her. Carrie chose a lot of similar things I like and has designed such great programs. We’re thoroughly enjoying Little Hearts for His Glory so far. I decided to go with that one for first grade and we’ll do Beyond next year for 2nd.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:16 pm

Jaime - What a precious thing for your daughter to say about Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory! I bet your little first grader felt all the more excited to do Beyond Little Hearts this year too. Thanks for sharing your love for Heart of Dakota here and for encouraging others new to homeschooling with HOD! The guides truly do help make the transition to HOD from other curricula (or from public/private schools) enjoyable. So happy to hear about your first year with HOD, and we pray for your current year to be wonderful as well. God bless!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:25 pm

MomOfLittleWomen wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:19 pm
Aww, preparing also looks wonderful.. I hope they both have a great year! I’m happy with how things turned out for us too and the timing of starting HOD. We just did some simple things for Kindergarten with my oldest with reading, writing & math after 2 months of intense research and it ended up being a great fit for her. Carrie chose a lot of similar things I like and has designed such great programs. We’re thoroughly enjoying Little Hearts for His Glory so far. I decided to go with that one for first grade and we’ll do Beyond next year for 2nd.
MomOfLittleWomen - I am so glad to hear you are having a wonderful first grade year with your daughter in Little Hearts for His Glory! It sounds like the timing for what you did before and what you are doing now with HOD has been just right. Usually that means the Lord is making just the right plans and putting them all in place so they turn out to be the best they can be for each of our individual homeschooling needs in our homes! I love that Carrie's guides include age ranges, as well as multiple options in each guide for more specific needs like reading, writing, grammar, and math. This has allowed me to customize each guide to fit each of my sons individually. Not all our sons did each guide at exactly the same age, nor did they do reading/writing/grammar/math levels at exactly the same age; however, they all ended up with just what they needed. God is so good like that, isn't He? I'm also thankful HOD already planned for that flexibility. Enjoy Little Hearts with your little daughter - it is a terrific guide all year long and it lays the backdrop of history so well for the next year when American History is covered. Looking ahead, I know you will enjoy Beyond Little Hearts next year just as much! Thanks so much for sharing - God bless!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MomOfLittleWomen

Post by MomOfLittleWomen » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:18 am

Thank you Julie for your kind words and encouragement! I agree, He is so good and I believe he led me to HOD at the right time!!